FR 20vT - Too good to be true?

Jordanwaterhous

Motorsport > Scene
Sep 15, 2009
Leeds
www.facebook.com
Been looking for a new car, seen this one but it seems too good to be true.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....ory=18270&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_685wt_1270

What are your expert opinions on it? Too good to be true or genuinely wants rid ASAP?

I've run an HPI check and a mileage check on it and it came back with the following:

HPI CHECK said:
Seat Ibiza Fr T 1.8
VIN***6954 Mar 06
4 owners
No colour changes
No stolen record
Not scapped
We have no record of KV06UXM being subect to a total loss claim by insurers.

Latest mileage record for KV06 UXM is 26,000 miles recorded on 25-12-2010.

Jordanwaterhous

Motorsport > Scene
Sep 15, 2009
Leeds
www.facebook.com
I know, i wasn't concerned 'til i saw the mileage, first of all, 3 owners in nearly 4 years only did 27,000 miles? And the date recorded, Christmas last year, wasn't aware garages were open on Christmas day?!

It's only 40 miles from me so i may pop down and have a look. I've sent them a message on ebay grilling them.

Jordan said:
Hello there,

I'm interested in the car you have for sale.

Would you be able to send me photos of the V5 documentation? (feel free to cover your name and address if you feel)
Would you also be able to send me photos of the service history stamps please.
And please could you tell me every single bad point about the car e.g. stone chips, blemishes in paint work, small dents, interior scratches pretty much anything negative on the car.

Has the car had its cabelt/water pump changed?
Does the rear wind screen washer work?
Do the headlights have any condensation in them?
How many keys do you have for the car?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.

To which his reply was...
Ebay seller said:
Hi,

I would be happy to answer your questions and send you the photos you require, but I do have someone supposed to be coming tomorrow to collect the car. Although I have been unable to contact them today so am unsure if they are genuine or not.

I will wait and see what happens tomorrow and will send you all you need if they dont collect it if thats ok.

Thanks

Mike

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
as said best check it, but i wouldn't be too surprised about high owners, the petrol FR's/Cupra do see a high turnover on keepers due to running costs.

But the price is about right as the mk4 value dropped like a stone when the mk5 came out, i lost about 2k over the space of a month

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
They are pretty cheap now tbh and it's coming up for 6 years old remember.

And as Phil said, the prices took a battering when the mk5 came out. I got around that for tradein on my mk4, and that had ~68k miles on it.

Jordanwaterhous

Motorsport > Scene
Sep 15, 2009
Leeds
www.facebook.com
Yeah i've noticed they've dropped in price recently.

The free valuation that came through with the HPI check said
HPI Free Valuation said:
Free valuation for KV06 UXM with 60,000 miles:
New £11,615
Forecourt £5,510
Trade in £4,290
Private £4,530
Auction £4,010

So how come he's selling it for £800 less than that and yet it has 23,000 miles less than the HPI assumption? Me thinks it's a bit fishy:think:

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
It's not really a good time to be selling a car is it? Between the current climate and it leading up to Christmas which is generally a time when people don't have spare cash.

If he genuinly needs rid of it, he will need to reduce the price to attract a buyer.

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
It's worth having a look. You could be right and it could be dodgy, or else he does just genuinly need rid. Hopefully it's the later and it doesn't sell tomorrow! :)

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
It's not really a good time to be selling a car is it? Between the current climate and it leading up to Christmas which is generally a time when people don't have spare cash.

If he genuinly needs rid of it, he will need to reduce the price to attract a buyer.

and dont forget it is a petrol as well, most of the market want diesel due to costs so thats why they are so much cheaper and as Mick said, selling a car at xmas in a recession..........

yellonvi-R

Sep 8, 2011
birmingham
Dont take them txt message hpi milages for what it actually has done! Checkout the car check its service history check its milage on the mot's..looks a good buy!) gotta be worth a look, times are hard valuations ars bullcrap to what cars are actually selling for this time of year! Id go check it out...moan if its cheap moan if its expensive, cant win sometimes.

Jordanwaterhous

Motorsport > Scene
Sep 15, 2009
Leeds
www.facebook.com
Dont take them txt message hpi milages for what it actually has done! Checkout the car check its service history check its milage on the mot's..looks a good buy!) gotta be worth a look, times are hard valuations ars bullcrap to what cars are actually selling for this time of year! Id go check it out...moan if its cheap moan if its expensive, cant win sometimes.

You all have a point, hadn't considered the time of year/economic climate.

It's just when something's too good to be true, they usually are!

Dec 3, 2009
great time of year to sell a car... my ibiza sold on 18th Dec! it's coz families have time off work together, it's just bad for softtops!

I'd check for crash damage, maybe need some work as well? like brakes nearly due, no service, cambelt etc.

engine bay looks very dirty for age, make sure he lives somewhere dusty

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
It's just when something's too good to be true, they usually are!

True, but its not massively under market value! If it was £2k then I would be worried. Just give it a good test drive and check for signs of crash and repairs etc. as you usually would. If the book is stamped and fully serviced then it might me worth a go.

Scan it with Vagcom if he lets you and you could always get an AA inspection done if you you want a 3rd party opinion.

Last edited:

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
My first thought was wow that's a great price! But then I thought about it and would I want a petrol FR? no is the answer...purely down to economy. I also don't like that the engine bay is v dirty for such low miles and the coolant level is very low too(considering its supposed to have been serviced so often).

Petrol FR's must be tricky to sell this time of year for sure and I wonder if there's something wrong with it. It must be a very desperate person to be selling just before Christmas for that low price.
We Buy Any Car will have offered 1500 quid or something stupid like that.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Am I the only one who has noticed that the suspension doesn't look right i.e. the front is very low and the back looks higher than standard?

Cos

20VT, bitches!
Aug 27, 2010
Brighton
Could just be a bargin. We buy any car offered me around that price for mine

(Which is still for sale if you're interested?)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.