My introduction to Cupra R ownership and inital checks and shopping list

Justin R

Sep 21, 2009
When you see cars for sale and people saying they looked at lots before buying one and this is the best I often take a reserved approach to the rest of the ad. I normally only look at one or two cars that I buy but they are normally well looked after, low mileage, certain mods or not and I ask a lot of questions before deciding to look at a car so in this case I guess the method is the same.

For around 5 months I have been looking for a Leon Cupra R to replace my 68K mint and getting rare in its condition Nissan Primera GT that I use daily. Over the course of my search I went from wanting a standard car to wanting one with some sensible mods. I ideally wanted a 225 BAM engine with low mileage but didn’t really want to spend high 4’s into 5K figures. I actually looked at 5 cars in total which is a lot for me, some of the advertised excellent condition cars certainly were not that, still asking questions before the viewing and I ended up buying one that over the course of contact with the seller I was getting less and less convinced it was for me.

After seeing it, checking it over and driving it, surprised as I was, it seemed a really good car, not the best, some of you have some cracking cars, but all the same a really nice clean car. It is a 2003 210 version that had done 83K, not what I was looking for originally. It had the cambelt already done and clutch. It also had the following mods: -

KW coilovers
Neuspeed Front and Rear Antiroll bar
Miltek exhaust (need to check this weekend but believe it will be a cat back system)
Induction kit and Heatshield
Dumpvalve (need to check this too)
Magicar alarm (seems to have a mind of its own a bit but getting used to it)

I have receipts for everything but the exhaust and dv from Jabba Sport but they confirmed they fitted the exhaust to and believe it to be just the cat back.

The unknowns are because I bought this from a private trader and he didn’t know about the car. I didn’t know it had the exhaust until I get there to view the car which was a nice surprise. Until now I have always bought private but, time will tell, I’m really please with it.

The reason I called Jabba was that 1. Because of the mods I can see and 2. Because of how it drives I think its been mapped. I have a 530bhp skyline for fun and I have to say the cupra pulls hard. They have no record of it being mapped so I need to look into it more.

I found this site during my Toledo Sport 1.8T ownership with was a lovely car to drive but didn’t have the presence which is why the R which looks fantastic was the logical choice for me.

Since buying it last Sunday I have brought parts to give it a good service this weekend, I have also bought sealing strip, clips etc to reseal the door panels as well.

I have ordered a VAG COM as advised to check things out including boost for seeing what’s going on there.

I need to get new mats as I believe although I have the rare main dealer chequered flag mats in quite good condition, they are yellow and my car is black. Not sure why that is.

I’ve read a host of things and need to find out more on seeing if its had the N249 bypass done and want to reset throttle position.

Is there anything else I should be considering? Looking at checking or doing?

Justin R

Sep 21, 2009
I've just taken off the engine cover between the rain intervals and i can see the N249 valve is still connected. There is a t-piece pipe with a blocked off bit of silicon tube but i think this was for a boost gauge that was fitted as there are pod screw marks on the pillar.

I have a turbosmart dump valve. It has a pipe going in, a pipe going out and another threaded hole that you can see the piston through. It also has the vacuum pipe on the top. I know turbosmart is a good make, the connection in and out would suggest its a recirc but the other threaded hole to atmosphere is a little confusing. What do people think?

I have a picture but cant upload it just yet.

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
Get some more post done so you can upload some pics
The forge 007p really is the dv of choice. Perhaps the one you have is similar tongue forge splitt r which can do both vta and recirc.

RICKY3

Jun 2, 2012
AYRSHIRE
I would ditch the turbosmart dv an buy a new oem bosch valve No need for an expensive forge 007

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited: