FR ST MDI Cable - where is the plug in the car?

Sep 16, 2020
So I picked up my first Seat today in the shape of a MK3 65 plate Leon FR ST.

I've found 2 MDI cables in the glovebox, not installed. 1 USB and 1 old school iPod cable. I can't find a plug to install these. Now I have a factory USB socket below the Climate Control and basic searching leads me to believe I won't have anywhere to plug these in. I would love a second USB socket in the glovebox just for Dashcam useage.

Will there be anywhere for these plugs to go or willI just have to go down the route of hardwiring the dashcam to the fusebox behind the glovebox?

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Never heard of mdi on mk3 leon. All i know is connectivity is through usb. Just get a usb adaptor to add an extra port or like you said the other option is back to fuse board

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
top left corner in the glovebox? That's where my usb key would plug in.

2014 FR, I didn't have the sockets under the climate controls

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
second that, on my 63 plate Leon Mk3 2.0TDI, you connected it to the left side in the glovebox. 2 cables, 1 for USB (same one in PCs, charages sloooww) and 1 for apple port (the one before lightning). If i recalled correctly, there also a 3.5mm AUX in there too! At this time, the area below the AC controls had a closeable small compartment. Later models did away with this closeable compartment and had the USB and AUX there instead...

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
So I picked up my first Seat today in the shape of a MK3 65 plate Leon FR ST.

I've found 2 MDI cables in the glovebox, not installed. 1 USB and 1 old school iPod cable. I can't find a plug to install these. Now I have a factory USB socket below the Climate Control and basic searching leads me to believe I won't have anywhere to plug these in. I would love a second USB socket in the glovebox just for Dashcam useage.

Will there be anywhere for these plugs to go or willI just have to go down the route of hardwiring the dashcam to the fusebox behind the glovebox?
If you have the USB under the Climate, then you have MIB2. The USB replaced the older MDI cable in the glovebox that the MIB1 had.

Easiest way to get an extra USB is to buy an adaptor for the 12 volt socket, or hardwire.

Sep 16, 2020
If you have the USB under the Climate, then you have MIB2. The USB replaced the older MDI cable in the glovebox that the MIB1 had.

Easiest way to get an extra USB is to buy an adaptor for the 12 volt socket, or hardwire.
This is what I thought, just wanted to confirm! No idea why the 2 cables were in the glovebox!

Thanks all

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Car cleaner found a set lying about and thought you needed a freebie.

Somebody else is now calling the dealer to report their cables missing.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.