Fr184 mpg

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
My fr has now done 9.5k miles of which I've done 1.8k since buying it. Daily commute of 50mile round trip of which 40miles is on motorway. Economy seems to remain about the same over a tank regardless of how it is driven. Usually get about 520-530miles out a tank. Car is usually driven in normal engine mode as I'm not keen on the eco setting. What sort of economy is everyone getting out of their fr? I realise the manufacturer figures are also unrealstic but thought it might be higher than I'm going getting if driven gently at steady speed such as motorway driving.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
My fr has now done 9.5k miles of which I've done 1.8k since buying it. Daily commute of 50mile round trip of which 40miles is on motorway. Economy seems to remain about the same over a tank regardless of how it is driven. Usually get about 520-530miles out a tank. Car is usually driven in normal engine mode as I'm not keen on the eco setting. What sort of economy is everyone getting out of their fr? I realise the manufacturer figures are also unrealstic but thought it might be higher than I'm going getting if driven gently at steady speed such as motorway driving.

Your averaging 47mpg so not bad, I've owned new diesel cars and they have improved as they get more mileage on them.
At the end of the day it's an FR built for grin factor :D

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
have covered 6000 miles since april in my 184 FR manual, half on motorways, half on country roads here, average 52.8.
some quite sedate with shmbo in passenger seat, generally less than 3krpm and some a bit harder in 4th and 5th.
acceleration is phenomenal, and I'm pleased with economy.

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
Cheers for replies. Sounds like I'm getting reasonable economy then. Love how the combined figure is quoted over 60mpg and extra urban over 70mpg! The manufacturer tests are so unrealistic.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Cheers for replies. Sounds like I'm getting reasonable economy then. Love how the combined figure is quoted over 60mpg and extra urban over 70mpg! The manufacturer tests are so unrealistic.

Yup, manufactures figures are for the people living in never never land.

easybreeze80

Aug 31, 2014
I do 35 miles to work which is mainly motorway, I started off getting around 53 but now it's around 47 :( only coming up to 1,000 miles though but was worried something had going wrong but from the sounds of it, it's normal :) I probably am a bit more heavy footed than when I first got it. It went down to around 42 the other day but by the time I finished my journey it was on 48.

Albie999

Sep 12, 2014
My FR 184 is approaching 3k. My work commute is around 120 miles, 60 of that is motorway on the way to work, and the drive home is A roads (to avoid the toll bridge). Usually average 50-52 on that jouney. Managed 54mpg on a round trip from home to crewe the other day (350 miles)

I have left my computer non-reset on long term .. and it is showing 47mpg for the 3k so far. I have had quite a heavy right foot sometimes lol

I was running mine in Eco, but just switched back to Normal, as also found that in Eco, there wasnt the punch like in the Normal mode (I know in sport there is even more). Any ideas what the Eco does to the engine?

toledoChris

Jul 20, 2004
My most recent tank was used for long motorway runs at circa 70mph and my measured average was just over 55mpg, which considering the performance on hand (and used at times) it is very good. With a DTUK box the in gear performance feels similar to my F31 330d, if only I could change gear as smoothly & quickly!

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
In my experience the MPG calculations are never perfect - they usually over egg it by 1-2 mpg I find. Typically, on a tank of fuel I get somewhere in the region of 540-550 miles

Krisjones85

I've heard of people getting 550-600 miles out of a tank which sounds great.

I've only done 1500 miles in mine so far but haven't managed to get more than 500 miles between fills.

I drive conservatively the majority of the time, however I can't see me ever getting close to 600 miles out of a tank.

Should I expect a decent increase in efficiency as the engine gets more miles on it?

easybreeze80

Aug 31, 2014
I've heard of people getting 550-600 miles out of a tank which sounds great.

I've only done 1500 miles in mine so far but haven't managed to get more than 500 miles between fills.

I drive conservatively the majority of the time, however I can't see me ever getting close to 600 miles out of a tank.

Should I expect a decent increase in efficiency as the engine gets more miles on it?

I've done just over 1,000 miles and completely agree, can't seem to get much more than 500 and that's pretty slow driving and mostly motorway, 600 seems impossible unless economy gets better.

adstalker

Nov 5, 2010
Darlington
I did a run yesterday from just outside Edinburgh to Darlington via the A68 which is quite an undulating road. I managed 59.6mpg (computer) for the run but at one point the computer indicated 61.1mpg. This was set at 60mph on cruise with quite a few heavy right foot moments when I overtook people. Car was set in ECO mode.

My daily commute is 35 miles each way and the computer says I'm getting 55 ish mpg with between 500 and 550 miles on a tank full.

Only had the car 7 weeks (for which I was out of the country for 9 days) and have done just over 3000 miles.

Hoping for it to get better.

Rob2k68

Jun 11, 2014
Rugby
Now touching 5,000 miles. With a 21 mile run up the Fosse way to work and back I'm doing about 250 miles a week. Average by topping up the tank rather than the trip meter is 47.5mpg. Running in 'Normal' mode.

Last edited:

kshuker

Jan 26, 2014
Crewe, Cheshire
I'm coming up to 11k miles and I've averaged about 50mpg over this time. On mixed driving I get around 50 to 55 driving conservatively and 60 to 65 on the motorway - sticking to 70 and a few 50mph roadwork zones.

I've had 600 miles on a tank but this was all motorway driving. I can now get 580 fairly regularly on mixed driving (mainly motorway though) butI reckon this is because I've used VCDS to turn on the display which shows how many litres you can get in the tank. This means that I can stretch out the flashing fuel light until my litres to full ticks over to 50 (the flashing comes on with around 5 litres still in the tank).

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
I'm coming up to 11k miles and I've averaged about 50mpg over this time. On mixed driving I get around 50 to 55 driving conservatively and 60 to 65 on the motorway - sticking to 70 and a few 50mph roadwork zones.

I've had 600 miles on a tank but this was all motorway driving. I can now get 580 fairly regularly on mixed driving (mainly motorway though) butI reckon this is because I've used VCDS to turn on the display which shows how many litres you can get in the tank. This means that I can stretch out the flashing fuel light until my litres to full ticks over to 50 (the flashing comes on with around 5 litres still in the tank).

How do you activate that? Does it show on the display on the dash between speedo and rev counter?

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members