Front and rear suspension reversion to original spec

Yorkiekev

Mar 25, 2020
Currently have adjustable BC racing coilovers/struts and rear adjustable springs fitted to my 2014 SC 3dr FR 150, am looking to revert back to original three reasons

1. the front adjustable nuts on the coilovers are seized solid, no soaking or brut force can seperate them
2. Sick of hitting speed bumps as cannot adjust (see 1)
3. Car insurance with modified springs

recently tried to sell it but the coil overs was putting people off

Have looked online to sort Part numbers, but seems, well to me, to be not that straight forward, 5F1 or 5F5? front strut diam, which I think is 50mm etc

Does anyone know the best place for parts and or what this would cost to revert, the car is fantastic just this issue with the coil overs and rear springs

contemplated second hand but the parts dont seem that expensive new, it would be the fitting, which although I could tackle I think would have someone with better tools and more competent to do it

Any help would be appreciated (Pics attached)

Attachments

• front shock 2.jpg
    front shock 2.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 134
  • rear spring 2.jpg
    rear spring 2.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 133
  • rear spring 3.jpg
    rear spring 3.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 132
  • front shock 1.jpg
    front shock 1.jpg
    570.9 KB · Views: 138

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Might be worth carefully getting a blow torch to heat up the adjustable nuts before lightly tapping with a hammer (making sure that you can shield off any areas that you don’t want to damage).

This was quite a common trick for removing seized components on armoured vehicles.

Yorkiekev

Mar 25, 2020
Thanks for the info, black_sheep, will have to buy a blow torch 😁.... So much plastic around under there might be a risk, would hopefully work in the short term but think replacement is the long term goal....

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
What sort of difference did the modified suspension make to your insurance, if you don't mind me asking?

Yorkiekev

Mar 25, 2020
£200+ for being honest..... Was gob smacked.. Have done a quote without mentioning it and £280 different.... Currently insured with that Navy bloke/woman 😁...

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
You will get the front adjuster rings to move

it will invole taking them off the car, i wouldn’t use heat on the shocks though. I bought a set of 3ft stilsons. They will do the job.

3ft stilsons and a bench vice

Yorkiekev

Mar 25, 2020
Hi Jase, yes agree on the heat, hence thinking if removed, replace with new if you get me, of course should that work I would be able to maintain them better than the previous owner 👍👍

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
£200+ for being honest..... Was gob smacked..

No, I'm not surprised. It's got nothing to do with the actual change in performance. Modding your car flags you up as the kind of person who is more likely to be in a crash. Because guys who mod their cars drive faster.

You did the right thing. Most of the guys I've known who modded their cars did not tell the insurance about it. Which basically means you have no insurance.

Yorkiekev

Mar 25, 2020
I bought the car modified but didn't realise the impact from the upgrade of the car difference until the renewal... My fault but is worth highlighting as you say, no insurance is not good...

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I just wouldn't buy a modified car. A lot of people feel the same way.

Like I said, a lot of people run modded cars and simply don't tell the insurance but it's a huge risk. If you're in a big accident the bill could be tens of thousands and the insurance company can just walk away.

There are other implications people don't think about. Years ago someone ran into the back of my grandfathers car. I was in it at the time. When the cops arrived and saw it was sporty Vauxhall that hit us they immediately assumed he was driving too fast.

Yorkiekev

Mar 25, 2020
Agree with everything you say, and the impact on others In an accident, my purchase was in error so looking to put right, hence the reversion info. I could only Confirm your message of lack of insurance, it's not worth it, might as well not be Insured/joy rider for the difference in insurance I would recoup it in two years in parts, will still look good I think and cheaper legally.
Not good elsewhere at the mo... Someone is cloning my plates on a seat in the London area running as many speed cameras as possible... The joy of proving innocence when you live 250 miles away... Not good... Hope the A holes get caught....

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Pig

Yorkiekev

Mar 25, 2020
Exactly... Scumbags indeed, think they got my number from a well known auto trading site.... As only happened in the last two weeks... Currently I am pleading my case with both the Met and Surrey Police while checking my mail for further NIPs, it's not good and hopeful can sort before court... As no way am I paying.....

Yorkiekev

Mar 25, 2020
Nope... Completely different spec.. And look....But still got to go through the hassle of proving it as the NIPs only work on plates not spec.... Maybe an improvement there somewhere... Plus you have to write the to the DVLA.. No email or phone... Letter with what's called a 'wet' signature incase of fraud for court...to flag your plate.... . Its all a joy.... The pics are blatantly not my car... But still its the process...

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
That's ridiculous. You would think that's it's blatantly not your car?! Idiots. Imagine how bad it might be if it did look like your car?

Yorkiekev

Mar 25, 2020
Well yes, rediculious is the word, this could take sometime to sort as its down to me to prove it isn't me, and do the running around, I am awaiting their reply, am hoping for a realistic and sensible response but not holding my breath... At this rate I could in theory have my licence suspended till proven innocent..... Piggin nightmare....

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Yes, that's bad. Between that and the suspension, have you considered public transport? ;0)

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
If you had insured with a modified car insurer you wouldn’t be paying for the suspension.
I have over 30 mods on my car and only pay for power increases. The rest is just notifications.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.