front passenger wont open

nigel.maddern7

any ideas how to open the passenger front door on my v5 [2001] toledo it wont open on fob or button on drivers side\ as theres no key opening to open with key am stuck
any ideas would be very gratefully recei:shrug:ved

nigel.maddern7

have you tryed using the inside handle pull once to pop button then pull again to open door

have tried this but still no good
am running out of ideas now the wife not happy at been in the back
i hate back seat drivers

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
This is exactly the same problem I have at the moment (been watching this thread for advice)

If every other door is opening and closing as it should I think I'm gonna blame the deadlock solenoid

All my doors stayed locked at one point a couple of years back, which was traced back to a wiring short-circuit somewhere behind the dash - local auto electrician just by-passed it with some new wire - but now only one door, the front passenger, won't open

In search of answers/solutions I'm going to lock and unlock the car a few dozen times tonight and see if I can get it to open....

oh, just thought - when you pull the interior handle, does it feel like you're pulling against a strong spring or lever, or does it just feel like it would normally but the door stays shut ?

if there's resistance, it's the deadlocks that haven't opened..... if not, then something's come off/loose :(

Last edited:

nigel.maddern7

thanx

what i have done at moment is taken the little button off the top of the card and let the rod fall down in side the door
this has let me get the door open and it locks as well so am going to do some more invetsigating soon ile keep in touch
:)

doti b

Please let us know how you get on as i have a similar problem in that one of my rear passenger doors wont open. It used to but all of a sudden would only open from the inside. I think the missus may have inadvertently put the child lock on now it will not open at all. Hopefully i'll get some good info from here to help me resolve the issue as it is very frustrating as you can imagine.
When you try and open the door it feels like it should open but just doesn't[:@][:@]

sahunt

One of our rear doors has recently done this too. It seems the central locking solenoid (or wiring) failed when the door was deadlocked. The little locking button doesn't move when the locks are cycled. Exterior door handle does nothing. When I pull the interior handle hard the little button pops up briefly (and there is the feeling of pulling against a strong spring, as others describe) but pops down again when the handle is released. Grabbing the button and pulling it up doesn't help. So I am sure the deadlock is on.

Seems to be pretty well impossible to get in and fix it as the door cards can't be removed unless the door is open!

Can anyone give any further tips?

Oddly enough the same door has another fault - the window can't be operated from the switch on the armrest. But it can be operated from the driver's master switch. No, the back seat cut-off switch isn't activated. Could the two faults be related - lock and window switch?

-- Steve

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Seems to be pretty well impossible to get in and fix it as the door cards can't be removed unless the door is open!

That's actually a bit of a myth

With the window down (and a bit of BF&I) you can push the top of the doorcard off and flex it back enough to get to the access holes in the inner doorcard without damaging anything

I was a bit stuck as to where to go from here - could probably do with a couple of wires from the cig lighter/battery to try cycling the solenoid, because there doesn't seem to be anything mechanical you can get to to unlock it :(

sahunt

Thanks, TllEWL, maybe I'll give that a try. I forgot to mention ours is a Mk 1 Leon, not a Toledo, but I reckon the doors are identical. I also found lots of articles in VW and Audi forums with similar problems. (The folks in the US have it easy though as they appear not to have deadlocks over there). I suspect the problem is internal to the locking module, see here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1542461

And here: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=226058&f=86&h=0
Before I try taking the door card off I'm going to try the "thump the door near to the lock" method in case it's the bad solder joints and a shock might make it play ball long enough to unlock. I will also take the door on the other side apart first. Also this tip from the pistonheads thread is worth considering as plan B:
By examining the driver's side (which would open) I found that the deadlock basically blocks the "unlocking lever" in the door catch to stop it unlocking. This lever could be unscrewed with the catch mechanism removed from the door. When in the door, the screw was covered by the door card and a bit of door metal(undernea the door card). I ended up drilling a hole in the door card and through the metal so that I could unscrew the lever and prise it out of the way with a screw driver.....and hey presto the door opened.

-- Steve

sahunt

We got lucky. The door unlocked today, first time in weeks. Being careful not to lock it again, I took the door card off and had a look inside. The large connector that goes to the electric window motor was plugged in but not locked into place. As it vibrated it made intermittent connection. I reconnected it properly and the door lock worked again! So did the window switch and the puddle light - it seems all the power for the door loom is routed through the big connector.

-- Steve

TURBODIESEL

Sep 17, 2004
I had same problem with my rear passenger door, woudlnt unlock wouldnt open and hazards didnt flash when alarm activated.

Searched for ages and no joy on soultion until I mentioned it to my brother in law mechanic.

He walked up to door and where key hole would be, hit it with the palm of his hand!!!

I pressed button and its worked ever since!
He says there is an actuator in electric remote locking which sometimes sticks, a hard knock usually sorts it.

Hope this works for you guys

bobbyibiza53

hi yes i have a very similiar problem. i have a mk5 golf 2006 model. but for some reason the drivers door wont open, neither from the in or out. i thought as they are all made by volkswagen, someone might be able to help.

any help much appreciated thanks