Front quarter panel is unclipped from bumper, fixable?

rcwsr

Jul 5, 2019
Hi all, first post here. I just bought a 66 plate 290, got it home and realised the offside front quarter panel, where it meets the front bumper has become detached. If you lift it slightly looks like a hook type clip is not fastened correctly, or maybe bent backwards? Is this easy to fix? Could just contact the dealer, but it's a bit of a drive.

Cheers

IMG_20190704_181057.jpg IMG_20190704_181102.jpg

dmpx

Mar 23, 2019
I had a very similar issue with the bumper on my 14 plate Audi A3 - In my case the bumper had actually separated from the inner ‘skin’ and couldn’t be popped back into place, a new bumper looked like the only option other than super gluing it.

Thankfully someone hit my car and the whole lot got repaired by Audi - Hopefully this isn’t the case for you and it’s an easy fix!

rcwsr

Jul 5, 2019
Cheers, will contact dealer first. Hopefully fixable! Annoyed I didn't spot it first, but so much to check and look at when you're getting a new (to me) car!

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
If it won't just click back into place then it looks like the loop and hook system which secures that edge has been damaged, either by the bumper being clumsily removed or by an impact.

Try pushing it firmly back into line with the wing. If it just pops straight back out then ask the dealer to replace the bumper skin - which I'm sure they will refuse.

rcwsr

Jul 5, 2019
Rang the dealer, they've booked me in next week. Told me that the car had had some work on it on the front, not sure what they meant by that, maybe when they serviced it ‍♂️

I opened the bonnet and shone a torch in, and I could see there is small black tab (is this the inner skin mentioned?) that the loop of the quarter panel looks like it should hook on to, but it just won't sit on it when just pushing the panel.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Screenshot_2019-07-06-14-59-54.png
This is from a YouTube guide on the mk3 front bumper. You can see the tabs on the bumper skin which are easy to shear off.

There no reason to remove the bumper for any service item, only for accident or fault repair.

rcwsr

Jul 5, 2019
So on mine those tabs are all still there and look to be intact, just doesn't clip onto the black tab beneath.

Screenshot_2019-07-06-14-59-54.png

I'll ask the dealer what work they were talking about then, as well.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Phew........super glue! At least its sorted and looking good hopefully.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
If they've bonded the skin into place then that bond will have to be broken to remove the skin, so more plastic on both sides will be broken with it.

Bonding is a permanent solution, not meant to be undone without replacing both parts, so isn't used where future access might be required.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Cheers, will contact dealer first. Hopefully fixable! Annoyed I didn't spot it first, but so much to check and look at when you're getting a new (to me) car!

Hi have you hit the bottom of the front bumper on a high curb when parking? I’ve seen this too many time’s if there’s scrap marks on the bottom of your bumper the dealer won’t do anything as it’s not a defect. Best check it first.

@300bhpdaily - The post you’re replying to is almost a year old. @rcwsr had their bumper fixed by the dealer last July - see post #10