Front suspension torque setting help

Dec 19, 2020
Manchester
Hi all, im currently struggling to find torque figures for my front suspension components, more specifically:

LCA balljoint to hub.
Strut to hub.
And track rod end.

Any other torque figures would also be much appreciated as i cant find workshop manuals anywhere :(

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Hi all, im currently struggling to find torque figures for my front suspension components, more specifically:

LCA balljoint to hub.
Strut to hub.
And track rod end.

Any other torque figures would also be much appreciated as i cant find workshop manuals anywhere :(

Hello there,

these are the torque settings I've managed to find, some are out of a workshop manual I have, and one I found on this forum.

**Front anti roll bar outer link arms**
25 Nm (18.4 ft-Ib) Found in other thread on this forum.

**Steering track rod end**
35 Nm (26 ft-Ib) states must use new nylon lock nuts. From my manual.

**Front brake pad carrier**
125 Nm (92 ft-Ib) From my manual.

**Front brake caliper to carrier**
Pattern pads = 35 Nm (26 ft-Ib)
SEAT genuine pads = 25 Nm (18.4 ft-Ib) States if reusing old brake pads with old bolts use some lock tight / thread lock.
But always use new bolts with new brake pads.

**Road wheel bolts**
110 Nm (81 ft-Ib) From my manual.

I can't see/find anything else for now, I'll have another look tomorrow.

Hope this helps
Si

Dec 19, 2020
Manchester
Cheers si thats a big help!! Still cannot find the torque specs for the suspension strut to the hub :( ,but i really appreciate you giving me this information. Where did you get your workshop manual from? As i cant seem to find one anywhere, cheers ?

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Cheers si thats a big help!! Still cannot find the torque specs for the suspension strut to the hub :( ,but i really appreciate you giving me this information. Where did you get your workshop manual from? As i cant seem to find one anywhere, cheers ?

No worries.

The manuals I have are about 9 to 16 years old and have all makes of cars from A to Z ranging from the mid 1980s up to 2012, they do have great info but don't have all torque settings as they're universal manuals covering various vehicles, they cost me about £60 but this was years ago now. It'll only be a workshop manual or Haynes manual that'll hold all info for your individual make/model of car.

You can purchase the Haynes manual on Ebay for about £12
It also might be available in Halfords ?
Or it'll probably be on Amazon.

I've uploaded an image from Ebay,
I know the manual covers the MK2 from 1993 to 1999 but the difference in the MK2 and MK3 was only minimal areas I think, so the torque settings for the front and rear steering / suspension shouldn't be that different. It'll more then likely be similar to the MK2 and MK3 Golf.

I think I might have found the torque setting for your front hub nut, I'll have read and double check and post up.

My manual states torque up front hub nut to 200 Nm, then slacken off nut and torque to 50 Nm then turn nut 45°
But also I'm reading do up to 55 Nm then turn 45° This depends on engine size and year of Ibiza.
So DON'T DO UP the front hub nut yet, what engine size is yours and what year is your SEAT, just so I know I'm reading the correct information, as I don't want to post up the wrong settings as that is stupid and dangerous.

Si

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 196
Dec 19, 2020
Manchester
Hi si, im pretty sure the 200nm is for the centre nut holding the driveshaft in the hub. Ive browsed for manuals before and havent been able to find one for the mk3.

My car is a mk3 1.8t 20v cupra ? :)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Hi si, im pretty sure the 200nm is for the centre nut holding the driveshaft in the hub. Ive browsed for manuals before and havent been able to find one for the mk3.

Yup, the bolts - eccentric from memory, are only M8 or M10 so the torque will be a lot less than that. Surely if you can't find an Ibiza Haynes, then a 6N or 6N2 Polo one would do.

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019

Yeah I wasn't sure if you'd removed your whole front hub, and possibly needed the front hub to outer CV nut torque setting also.

Right I've also got the Bentley manuals for the MK2 Golf and the VW Corrado including the VR6 which is based on the A2 and A3 platforms, these manuals are about £80 each but are full comprehensive workshop manuals.

Regarding the two shoulder bolts that are at least 8.8 high tensile strength, this is the torque settings for both which are very similar, and will be pretty much the same on your later type MK3 Ibiza by the looks of it.

MK2 Golf 1984 to 1992
Hex head bolt with 18mm nut
95 Nm (70 ft-Ib)

MK2 Golf 1984 to 1992
Hex head bolt with 19mm nut
80 Nm (59 ft-Ib)

Corrado all models A2 platform 16v & G60 1990 to 1992
A3 platform VR6 1992 to 1996
Hex head bolt with 18mm nut
95 Nm (70 ft-Ib)

So looks like yours is 95 Nm if yours is based on the A3 platform.
As extra protection you could use a little thread lock.

Si

Attachments

• IMG_20201223_143437543.jpg
    IMG_20201223_143437543.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 621

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Ok the front lower ball bolts for lower wishbone arm.
The 3 bolts tighten up into a triangler captive lockplate.
Torque setting 35 Nm (25 ft-Ib)

Hope this helps
Si

Attachments

• IMG_20201223_144412020~2.jpg
    IMG_20201223_144412020~2.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 2,045
Dec 19, 2020
Manchester
PERFECT!! :)
Big thanks si, can finally get it going now ive got all those specs, i was thinking of doing it tight as f**k but i wanted to make sure it was all done "correctly" just for my peace of mind i guess ?‍♂️.
Ill have to pick up one of the 6k manuals soon so im not getting frustrated at the internet for hours haha. Cheers si, massive help ?

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
PERFECT!! :)
Big thanks si, can finally get it going now ive got all those specs, i was thinking of doing it tight as f**k but i wanted to make sure it was all done "correctly" just for my peace of mind i guess ?‍♂️.
Ill have to pick up one of the 6k manuals soon so im not getting frustrated at the internet for hours haha. Cheers si, massive help ?

No worries glad to be of help.
I'll update my previous post regarding the outer CV joint to hub the large retaining nut, as I now know what model yours is just in case you or anyone else needs that torque setting.

Si ?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.