Fuel Consumption

JoeF

May 13, 2007
Bolton
Got a FR TDI, filled up beginning of the month, about £46 worth. So far have 156 miles on the clock and its just coming up to half a tank, any reason for my poor mpg ? Dont boot it everywhere or have a heavy right foot, the odd occasion i do but most of the time its normal driving at normal speeds

stezo2k

Anjuna Monkey
Mar 15, 2008
Dudley
i get pretty much exactly the same on my 1.2, bit of a difference i know but i thought i'd get more being a lesser powered car
________
Hurt from avandia

Last edited:

sydoggkdy

Jan 23, 2008
Kirkcaldy!!
almost half way on the fuel gauge isnt too accurate! best way is to see how many miles you get from a fuel tank and after filling it back up, work out how many mpg ur getting.

does your fr tdi not have a mpg gauge ?

loads of things can affect mpg like if your tyres are under deflated, if your boots full of sh**e, even if it needs a service.

andreww

Mar 31, 2008
Cornwall and Cheltenham
I have just bought a 2004 FR 1.8T, on the 80mile journey back from picking it up, the computer says 39.5mpg. Mostly A roads as well! :D

I was using Tesco 99Ron (supposed to be the best for power and not too shabby for mpg).

(No Smoke, Plenty of Poke..Revo Style)

Last edited:

JoeF

May 13, 2007
Bolton
boot aint full of rubbish or anything, tyres need checking this week and it does have mpg gauge, always varies. Usually when i stick a full tank in the gauge says i got 420 miles before need to fill up, usually this use to be spot on, when i filled up this time it said 360miles :rolleyes:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
boot aint full of rubbish or anything, tyres need checking this week and it does have mpg gauge, always varies. Usually when i stick a full tank in the gauge says i got 420 miles before need to fill up, usually this use to be spot on, when i filled up this time it said 360miles :rolleyes:

It would be making the future range prediction based on the previous few miles MPG. Remember it is now winter so MPG will probably drop unless you were previously always thrashing it and now driving slower.

The advice on working out MPG tank>tank is really what its all about.

JoeF

May 13, 2007
Bolton
well i used a online converter thing here http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.shtml and it came back with the below figures...

Fuel Cost: 107.9p
Total Spend: £46
Distance: 370 miles (done 160 so far so estimated total)

Your real-world MPG average is 39.46, covering 370 miles using 9.38 gallons of fuel.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I have just bought a 2004 FR 1.8T, on the 80mile journey back from picking it up, the computer says 39.5mpg. Mostly A roads as well! :D

I was using Tesco 99Ron (supposed to be the best for power and not too shabby for mpg).

(No Smoke, Plenty of Poke..Revo Style)

I see low 40's MPG in my FR petrol when I do a run on the motorway/A roads But it is standard power

andreww

Mar 31, 2008
Cornwall and Cheltenham
That's good to know your's standard is getting low 40's.
It was the 1st time I have driven the car, so was testing out my right foot..
It has way more power than grip!

I will be doing a long drive down the M5 this week, I hope to push into the low 40's.

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
best i got out of my FR was 640 miles:D (that was from a fully vented tank& a trip to scotland)

i normally get 500+ from a tank drive mainly motorways with a few a roads

kenny_fr

Sep 19, 2007
Glasgow
I was going to ask this same question a while back i only ever seem
to get about half the miles out a full tank in my fr to what it says on
my dash so usually a full tank would say 600 im only getting 300
and its a tdi.

Whats the score with that plus ive never seen over 45mpg and thats
driving like a pensioner.:shrug:

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
The best I have had on my way to work was 41mpg over a 28 mile stretch up the A3 (in the summer). Mostly a tank average will be about 34mpg (which includes a bit of town and country roads too!) Not amazing but it is a 1.8T FR so I can't complain really. I might go for a diesel next time though as I do loads of mileage (20k a year)...

Joker1067

Am averaging between 48-52 on my normal runs (mainly A-roads and round town) i'm not driving it like I stole it but im far from gentle either :whistle:

fatcatman

Apr 13, 2007
Are the figures people are quoting what the computer says or actually worked out by dividing miles done by gallons used for full tank to empty?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.