fuel flap release fix

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
Hi folks, just tried to put fuel in my car and the filler cap release aint working!!! When i press the button nothing happens. tcs is working ok. Fuel light is now on and i need to get juice asap so anyone know how to at least get the thing open? cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

CupraMVR

Awesome GTi Technician
Oct 19, 2006
Crewe Cheshire
no there aint a pull cord in the boot i think that would of been a good design idea, As RikH said check all your fuses just in case and keep trying the botton.with the engine not running

airfilter

Mar 29, 2008
Derbyshire
When i was fitting my subwoofer in my 1.6 leon, I came across the fuel cap release motor on the right hand side in the boot (behind the trim/fabric)

It looks exactly the same as the motor that controls the central locking of the tail gate. My boot lock was a bit dodgy but if I squeezed it, it worked fine.

Maybe something to try.

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
Cheers for the replies all, got the filler cap open (didnt take too long) by pulling the cap open about 10mm with my fingers and using a long thin flat head screwdriver i pushed the little plastic clip that holds the cap shut. This plastic clip is very difficult to move so the unit must have just seized so will have to order a replacement from seat today. I will post the part number on here for reference later.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Chances are the solenoid has died but if you can remove the rear right hand boot trim, some people have managed to access and grease theirs and get it working. Slim chance though and if you can't hear it when you push the button it has probably bust.

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
yea was thinking about doing that but dont fancy it breaking again (plus i think its proper broke) when im miles away from home so think i will get a new one ordered today.

Bosher

I had this problem when I first bought my Leon. Drove it from the garage to the nearest filling station (with the red light on), then spent 5 panicky mins @ the pump pushing the release button till it eventually opened.

Got home and sprayed some WD40 on the solenoid pin, seems OK (ish) now, but the flap doesn't seem to pop open like my Laguna one did.

Wonder if there's meant to be a spring in there somewhere to help open the flap?? :blink:

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
right folks found the solenoid in the rear right hand corner and have a replacement but i cant work out how to get the thing out. I would be simple to undo the two philips screws if they faced you when you remove the panel, but they are on the opposite side and cant see how i will get them out. Anyone changed one before or know of a guide as i cant see how it can be done (must be a way but not sure if special tools are needed to remove the screws, hope not)

Bosher

I looked at the Leon manual last nite... Which is about as much good as a chocolate fire guard I'm afraid as it just shows a pretty poor schematic drawing, with no instructions as to how to replace the solenoid. But i have a feeling u remove the rubber sleeve between the wing and the filler neck after removing the filler flap.. U do get instructions for that in the manual..... :lol:

If u want m8 i'll see if i can post the schematic up on here...

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Removing:
– Unscrew the tank flap.
– Press outwards the remote unblocking arm.
– Remove star head screw -2-.
– Remove the fuel tank mouth rubber part and get the fuel flap unit from the side panel.

Looks like when you have done the above you have access to the mounting screws for the solenoid.

Last edited:

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
cheers for the help lads :). Thing that puzzles me is that the solenoid is such a distance from the fuel flap (its just behind the rear cluster) and also the 2 new mounting screws i have recieved are philips head not stars (cant see the heads on the existing ones as they face the 1/4 panel. It would be hell of a job to reach in from the fuel opening (plus i have hands like bloody shovels lo) to the rear of the solenoid. Seems a simple job and its only the removal of the mounting screws that is the problem.

ginge100

Dainott, did you manage to replace it? I have the same problem with my Leon and was wondering how to approach the job of replacing it?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
My guess would be that once you remove the screw in the filler recess, the mounting plate with the solenoid on it comes loose somehow. Have you tried that, dainott2105?

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
fuel flap release issue still not fixed!!

Hi folks, the fuel flap failed a few months ago and after buying a new solenoid i decided to pull my finger out and get it changed. I have taken a load of pics to produce a guide for replacing it, but after changing it the flap is still not working and really puzzled now. I have changed the release button (borrowed a mates for 5) and there is no problem with that and everything is connected up correctly bet when pressing the release button nothing works. I havent had chance to check if there is power going to the switch, but checked all the fuses (there isnt any information on which fuse relates to the fuel release, so be greatful if anyone knows) and cant see any issues. I will get the guide drafted up but cant exactly post it until its fixed lol.

Any help greatly appeciated

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
Sorry Ginge100 only just seen you update i will pm you quick points to change it. Not a difficult job and takes about 30 mins all in.

Just noticed that you only have 3 posts so cant send you a private message yet.

Last edited: