Fut fut fut fut fut...

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
This is a noise ive noticed my car making when going slowly round a right hand corner.
A bit concerning.

Was in the sainsbury's carpark ealier at the usual low speed. Had both front windows down and heard this noise coming from the NSF wheel/hub area. Went when the wheel was straightened.
Was in tune with wheel rotation if you know what i mean.
Didn't knock or grind (cv joint style).
Want to figure it out asap as the car is going in to the garage in 3 weeks for some work and will add this issue to the list before its too late.

Cheers Rich

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Hi mate might be wheel bearing but it normally happens at higher speed when the weight shifts onto it making a sound.
is the car lower one side then the other? Am wondering if a spring has snapped and is rubbinh the back of the alloy at almost full lock in the car park?

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Yeh, not wheel bearing noise. But will jack it up at some point to check for play.

As for snapped spring, im going out in a bit (takeaway lol) so will look whilst the wheels are straight.
Wasn't on full lock. Probably half way between dead straight and full lock.Just doing a 90 degree turn round a pillar in an underground carpark at about 10mph

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Nail in the tyre?
I hope not. I had that drama last week on the other front corner.

Also i just found it does it in a straight line too.

It makes the noise you hear if you have the windows down and drive past a row of parked cars.

I fitted front brake pads a few weeks ago. Im wondering if its the pads maybe catching ona lip on the disc.
More investigations neede me thinks.

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
See if it goes away when you brake softly... could be the pads.... or a bend disc....

In my case its always been a nail on the tyre. :whistle:

You can always put your spare wheel on that and see (ear) if it changes anything.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
had my wheel bearing changed on the nsf about 3 years ago so might be that, also check if the the cv boot clips have broke or come off had a few replaced on mine even genuine ones don't last, the cv boot grease can come out and that will kill the cv joint you'll here clucking coming from that if near dry, the front wishbone ball joints are a common fail if one is gone i would change both.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Riiiight, just to recap this thread. I only noticed this noise in the summer when the passenger window was down.

Today driving home from work (windows up) it started making the noise and i could hear it from inside. Rather loud.

Going round a large roundabout at sensible speeds it was a constant noise from the nearside front wheel.
From inside it with the windows up it sounds like a bush creak type of noise but definitely isnt.
Its a rotational noise that comes with the weight on the front corner.

Anyone had anything similar?
Im thinking outer cv joint?
Bit concerned that im going to hear a bang and roll to a halt stranded style.
Going to try and see if i can get it on a ramp Saturday.

Rich

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
At any point of you knowing this car has that side drive shaft hub bolt been removed? Or had the cv boots replaced etc?

Swaitsy

Aug 1, 2021
Darkest Struan
Yes, I'd been discussing it in another thread actually. I'd convinced myself it was an offside front bearing as that's where it felt and sounded like it was coming from. Very similar to what you describe.

Took it to the dealer twice. First time they decided it was the nearside front bearing so changed that. Still there. Second time they decided it wasn't a bearing as its not, and I quote; "a characteristic of a worn bearing". Despite them thinking it was a bearing the first time.

But to that end they don't know what's causing it, even though it's now been up on the ramp three times.

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
That’s so strange. They should of had a rough idea after they road tested the car to what it was. Do they tell you if it made the noise when they took it out on test?

Swaitsy

Aug 1, 2021
Darkest Struan
That's the bizarre thing, the contrasting diagnosis on each visit. First time they told me they could definately hear the noise and that's what led to the nearside front bearing being changed. When I told them it had made no difference they asked me to try and record the noise and email them the audio file, which I did. Then on the second visit they took it out and were none the wiser. They said they could find nothing wrong from underneath either, should the noise be the result of something else.

Of course, they were quick enough to point out that the cars 5 year service (timing kit) was due and that they were happy to change it for £850. Aye that old chestnut..

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
That’s the frustrating thing with garages sometimes the lack of wanting to find the fault of it’s not obd scanner job. I’m all fairness if it was me doing the job id be in the same position as them. But id actually want to find the fault. It’s harder for them as they wrong the first time and don’t want to make a judgment call again only to be wrong. If your gut is saying the sound is the other side maybe get them to change that bearing but it’s such a gamble with your money which I hate suggesting to anyone.

Swaitsy

Aug 1, 2021
Darkest Struan
Aye, I know what you mean. And to be honest I agree. I had a years warranty with them so they changed the first bearing for free but refuse to change the other one as they've now decided it doesn't need changing. I suspect if they were making money out of me their approach would be slightly different 🤔. I'm at that point with it now that I think I'm going to do it myself.

Oh as for the timing kit that's a funny story there too. See I bought the car at the beginning of the year with a two year service plan. But the service and mot don't match up, they're six months apart. So I ended up having the annual service warning flash up after six months ownership. The car's just turned five. Dealer policy is that if the manufacturers five year service comes up before the first annual service under new ownership, they're obliged to do the 5 year service for nothing.

So I got the timing kit and water pump done for free. Needless to say, they're probably not hugely fond of seeing me 😬

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Aye, I know what you mean. And to be honest I agree. I had a years warranty with them so they changed the first bearing for free but refuse to change the other one as they've now decided it doesn't need changing. I suspect if they were making money out of me their approach would be slightly different 🤔. I'm at that point with it now that I think I'm going to do it myself.

Oh as for the timing kit that's a funny story there too. See I bought the car at the beginning of the year with a two year service plan. But the service and mot don't match up, they're six months apart. So I ended up having the annual service warning flash up after six months ownership. The car's just turned five. Dealer policy is that if the manufacturers five year service comes up before the first annual service under new ownership, they're obliged to do the 5 year service for nothing.

So I got the timing kit and water pump done for free. Needless to say, they're probably not hugely fond of seeing me 😬
Nice 👍 that’s a right result. Fair play.
I’ve not seen or done one on these are they similar to the mk2 Leon with its bolted from the back of the hub with triple square headed bolts?

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
At any point of you knowing this car has that side drive shaft hub bolt been removed? Or had the cv boots replaced etc?

Had a clutch about 14 months ago but pretty happy it isnt related. The inner shaft bolts look tight and havnt been touched since the clutch was done.
If i cant find anything obvious when i take a look, im thinking i may stick a shaft on it.

Reactions: Swaitsy

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Had a clutch about 14 months ago but pretty happy it isnt related. The inner shaft bolts look tight and havnt been touched since the clutch was done.
If i cant find anything obvious when i take a look, im thinking i may stick a shaft on it.
Yea good shout the only reason I asked about the hub bolt is if it wasn’t torqued properly that might be over time what’s caused the noise and damage to the bearing? It’s so hard to diagnose these things without looking at it in person. Msg Thai see if he’s got a hub and drive shaft for that side and fit them and road test it see if the sounds gone maybe? Unless the hubs are mega expensive on these used I don’t know anything about the mk1 parts values.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Its more time than money thats the issue. Not that ive got much of either lol.
But changing a shaft is quicker and easier to do.
I must admit i think i felt it slightly through the seat and wheel. Felt slightly cv to me. The bit i dont get is the noise it makes. Very strange.