Gearbox oil change interval

ile

May 25, 2020
Hi all,

asking for advise about interval of changing gearbox (manual) oil, it is for Seat Leon 5F1, 2015 1.4 TSI 125hp.

also is this a original catalogue number about gear box G 052 527 A2

thanks in advance

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
VW Group consider that manual gearbox fluid or oil does not require replacing over the service life of the gearbox.

That number that you have shown is a valid gearbox fluid/oil - but I don't know if it is correct for your gearbox, you would need to use your gearbox code and see which VW Group gearbox fluid/oil is listed for use in that gearbox.

ile

May 25, 2020
Ok, so according the VW Group oil is not is under service interval time and not need to be change ?

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Gearbox numbers according to Etka for VAG (SEAT Leon mk3 -2015) with manual gearbox and the gear oil spec listed.

MQ2 box
NHW, PKG, PKH (5 speed)
G052 512 A2 = 75W fully synthetic considered by VW to be a lifetime fill.

G052 527 A2 = considered by VW to be a high performance 75W fully synthetic gear oil, better withstanding cold and high temperatures.
Considered by VW to be a lifetime fill.

MQ25 box
MWW, MWX Diesel models (5 speed)
G052 512 A2 = 75W fully synthetic considered by VW to be a lifetime fill.

MQ2 box
MYF, PRL, REK (6 speed)
G052 171 A2 = 70W75 fully synthetic considered by VW to be a lifetime fill, but in some cases VW upgraded to the high performance oil below, with the larger engine's.

G052 527 A2 = considered by VW to be a high performance 75W fully synthetic gear oil, better withstanding cold and high temperatures.

MQ35 box
PDT, PFL, PFN, PGT, PNS (6 speed)
G052 171 A2 = 70W75 fully synthetic considered by VW to be a lifetime fill, but in some cases VW upgraded to the high performance oil below.

MQ25 box
NBJ, NBH, PTW, QBN (6 speed)

G052 512 A2 = 75W fully synthetic considered by VW to be a lifetime fill

MQ35 box
MRV (6 speed with four wheel drive)

G052 527 A2 is normally used in the high performance models that require/need more protection, some people I believe have gone from G052 171 A2 and upgraded to G052 527 A2 as it's given them better smooth gear changes from cold temperatures.
Also I think G052 512 A2 was used up until roughly late 2013 in some gearboxes, but was upgraded by VW from late 2013 onwards to G052 527 A2 due to it being a better oil at both low & high temperatures.

But as RUM4MO has said VAG have never given an official mileage deadline when to change the gear oil in your model. But at every 70k to 100k miles it certainly wouldn't hurt to change it.
Personally for me I've always changed my gear oil whether it's long life oil or not, as it'll definitely help to prolong the life of your gearbox.

I'd definitely speak to your local SEAT Main Dealership or local trusted garage, and double check the oil spec for your model, especially if you don't know your gearbox number as RUM4MO mentioned to you in his earlier post.

Hope this helps
Si

Reactions: ile and Woody_72
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.