Giving my Ibiza a good send off (Warning excessive car care inside!)

Rubbish Boy

It was time for my Ibiza to move on. Been a great car over the last 3 years, reliable and economical, just a little slow! She appears several times on my web-site and has been the guinea pig for testing many car-care products. :)

Anyway it needed a good pep up and a few "little issues" sorting out before it got collected. So I thought I would give it the best send off I could before it goes to a new owner.

Did my usual wash routine which I won't put here , but can be seen here.

Following the wash it was all rinsed down.

20090524018.jpg

While it was still wet I clayed using some RB Orange Fine Clay and Dodo Born Slippy.

20090524022.jpg

20090524024.jpg

Then rinsed off and dried with a Super Plush Drying Towel. All ready for polishing the following day.

A few of the "little issues". :D

My fault! A narrow country road with a hidden rock.
20090524026.jpg

Some stonechips: I put some paint in these a few weeks a go so it would be well cured and ready to sand/polish.

20090524029.jpg

Some general hedge and wash marring, it has been nearly 2 years since it's last machine polish!

20090524031.jpg

Rubbish Boy

So that scuff. :think: There were a few deeper marks that I laid some colour in using a cocktail stick. Then some clear in the same way after about 20 minutes. This was done a couple of weeks ago so was well cured.

I then wet sanded the new paint, starting with some 1500 grit paper to level it out a bit, the up to 2000 grit all over to even it out and get rid of the scuff marks. Followed by 4000 grit to make it easier to polish. I gave the new paint marks a bit more attention after the photo as I wasn't happy that it was all level.

20090524035.jpg

Time to make it look better :). Mark V UNO by rotary with an 80mm RB orange waffle pad.

20090524036.jpg

After one set. One or two deeper marks still there, but very much improved.

20090524039.jpg

And then refined with UNO on a new soft finishing pad I've been trying out.

20090524042.jpg

Now for those that aren't aware (and would like to know :)), UNO is a "One Style" polish, one product to do the job of many. Just vary the pad to increase or decrease it's cut. It will get out scratches on firmer pad and it will also finish down very well on a soft pad. A great time saver and also easy to use. It also works very well by hand if you don't have access to a machine polisher.

Some bumper scratches. Before.

20090524044.jpg

After.

20090524046.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rubbish Boy

Stonechips delt with, same process as scuffs.

20090524057.jpg

20090524061.jpg

20090524062.jpg

And the whole car was polished using UNO on an RB red waffle finishing pad.

20090524067.jpg

20090524069.jpg

A quick clean up followed by Lime Prime Lite applied by hand using a damp foam applicator, worked in small sections at a time and buffed off straight away.

Followed by a coat Dodo/RB Juiced Edition applied with a Foam Finger applicator. The wax curing.

20090524078.jpg

After buffing off the wax, all the little bits were completed:
Glass cleaned with Mark V Window Sheen.
Tyres dressed with Mark V California Dressing.
Door shuts with Mark V Fast Wax.
Interior platics wiped down with a damp microfibre.
Seats and carpets vacuumed.
Pasty stains removed from seats with some Mark V interior shampoo. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Rubbish Boy

And there she is being trailered away, very sad. :cry:
byebyefuj.jpg

So that's it, the last time I will ever get to wax it! But I can't wait to get stuck into the new one.

Thanks for looking. :)
Ben

Rubbish Boy

Thanks for the comments. :)

It was a company car and came to the end of it's contract, only reason for it going. I've got a Leon FR on order, and having seen one today I'm chomping at the bit. :headhurt:

Rubbish Boy

Oh My God!!

What a finish you gave her! That is simple amazing!! How much time did you put in total to her? Would love to have that all done to my new thing :)

Cheers :D, it did take quite a long time, I wasn't really counting but it was probably around 16 hours.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.