Glow plug indicator

watpoae

Alright all..

I gave my mk1 leon tdi a jet-wash today and when I came to drive it away the glow-plug indicator started flashing continuously.

Upon doing a search on this forum I went out to check my brake lights and they are not working and nor were my reverse lights. I have changed the fuses and my reverse lights now work but my brake lights remain out (although the back window brake light still works).

Does anyone know how I would sort this problem out please? Its obvious that some waters got into somewhere it shouldn't following the wash (never again using that!!) but just wondering how I'd go about resolving the problem.

To me it seems like the glow-plug indicator is showing because of the not functioning brake lights.. am I right to think that?

Sorry for the basic info and non-technical terms but I'm not clued up on the electrical side of things.

Cheers all.

watpoae

Almost certain to be the brake pedal switch. If it's the same as the Ibiza the part number is 6Q0 945 511. I've replaced mine countless time, most recently on Friday. The switch has recently been redesigned again and certainly looks more robust. I paid 6.75 + VAT and it shouldn't take more than 10 mins to fit.
There a fitting guide here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1158315

Let us know how you get on

Cheers mate will give it a go. Much appreciated.

watpoae

Almost certain to be the brake pedal switch. If it's the same as the Ibiza the part number is 6Q0 945 511. I've replaced mine countless time, most recently on Friday. The switch has recently been redesigned again and certainly looks more robust. I paid 6.75 + VAT and it shouldn't take more than 10 mins to fit.
There a fitting guide here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1158315

Let us know how you get on

Just checked again.. the top window trim brake light works but when the brake pedal isn't pressed it just stays on a vey low dimmed light.

Reckon this is defo the brake pedal switch then?

Cheers

Johnsey

SNAFU
Dec 23, 2003
Here & There
www.google.com
When my has failed in the past it has led to either no lights at all or brake lights on constantly.

Of course, it's possibly something like a bad earth, but on both side brake lights at the same time ? I assume the rest of the lights are fine?

I'd go for the switch as it's the quickest and cheapest part to eliminate

watpoae

When my has failed in the past it has led to either no lights at all or brake lights on constantly.

Of course, it's possibly something like a bad earth, but on both side brake lights at the same time ? I assume the rest of the lights are fine?

I'd go for the switch as it's the quickest and cheapest part to eliminate

Yeah all the other lights are fine mate, its just the brake lights except the top one.

Is that part freely available from car accessory shops or will I have to go to my local Seat dealer?

Johnsey

SNAFU
Dec 23, 2003
Here & There
www.google.com
I tried to get one from GSF and they didnt list it so I ordered one from the local stealer.

You could try ECP if there's one near you?

It's well known for failing so they might have one on the shelf, if not they should be able to get it within a day or two.

TornadoRed

Aug 22, 2004
Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
The brake pedal sensor was covered by a recall here in North America. Sometimes it caused the engine to go into a modified limp mode -- because the accelerator won't work if the ECM senses that the brake pedal is depressed. For cars with automatic transmissions, sometimes it would not allow the driver to shift out of PARK -- because, again, you have to depress the brake pedal before shifting out of PARK. Because this was considered a safety-related problem, all VWs during certain model years were subject to a recall for free replacement.

However, if the top brake light is working, then it shouldn't be a brake pedal sensor problem.

watpoae

Cheers for the responses..

Yeah the top brake light works and when the pedal isn't pressed it remains permanently on dim when the ignition is switched on.

scl1982

Nov 25, 2008
Ok... I see it's been quite a while since last responses on this... but I think I have the same problem (window brake light works... both the others don't). Did you find a fix for this?

Thanks.

RobTheHood

Had flashing glow plug intermitenly a while ago. Solution. Not sure but suspected the foot switch and in a very scientific test I gently booted under the pedal a couple of times and it cleared up! Could be coincidence but try it, be gentle tho' !

scl1982

Nov 25, 2008
Cheers. I've fixed it now. Turned out, one brake light bulb just needed replacing and the other had a dodgy socket.

Thanks again.

GarryRF

I had Glo Plug light flashing on the Dash. Read on another site to check your 2 outer STOP lights are OK. Changed 1 bulb so far and its stopped flashing. Strange but true. Saved me a fortune and a day off work.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.