Golf R or Leon Cupra 290

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Been speaking to a different SEAT dealership about 2 hours away from me, quoted £348 a month for an ex-demo SEAT Cupra 290 Lux edition, 69 plate and 2k miles on it, think I'll be going for that. £2400 deposit but meh, lifes too short to driving a boring car.
You won't be disappointed. The only gripe on these cars (axle tramp when boring it from a standstill) can be solved with a £40 insert, decent tyres. If you are so inclined an £80 strut brace makes a big improvement too :) In fact that doesn't really do the car justice. The car is great as is, these just fine tune it.

But biggest thing is tyres. Crossed fingers you get Pirellis and not Continentals. :)

Reactions: trooper96

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
The Golf is a little 'nicer' in some ways, slightly higher quality interior, but thats it really. The cupra is faster everywhere over 30. Its a complete myth that 4WD cars handle better, they are dragging around more weight. Often this means they are slower to accelerate from anything but a standing start, cant corner as quickly and take longer to brake.
For reference the Golf R is over 20 seconds slower around the 'ring and thats assuming the official Cupra 7m58s time is the best it can do, which it isnt.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
The Golf is a little 'nicer' in some ways, slightly higher quality interior, but thats it really. The cupra is faster everywhere over 30. Its a complete myth that 4WD cars handle better, they are dragging around more weight. Often this means they are slower to accelerate from anything but a standing start, cant corner as quickly and take longer to brake.
For reference the Golf R is over 20 seconds slower around the 'ring and thats assuming the official Cupra 7m58s time is the best it can do, which it isnt.
I don't get this 'nicer' interior about the Mk7 Golf R.

I was lucky enough to get into Racingline's Mk7.5 Golf R (Stage 3 480hp) in February. Now I know I'd been in a Mk7 Golf R estate before, but hadn't had chance to really compare with the Seat back to back as it was a few weeks between. However, this opportunity gave me a really good chance to compare back to back.

So after 3 years in a 280 with full leather, and at the time nearly 18 months in the Carbon, I can honestly say I'd take the Cupra interior over the Golf R in every respect.

Seats - Not a patch on even the standard seats, full cloth. Maybe leather would be better, but the Cupra gets half leather half alcantara as standard. But certainly nowhere near as good as the Buckets I have. Now if you could spec the Wingbacks from the Clubsport, then it would win. But you can't so it doesn't.
1593692554654.png 1593692590207.png 1593692653797.png 1593692691748.png

Sat Nav Screen - Too low down like the Skoda. Not an issue if you have Virtual Cockpit I suppose, but I like the map on the big screen and directions in the central section of the VC. Only advantage was it still had the buttons that the 8" screen for Seat dropped.

1593692752727.png 1593692816321.png

Virtual Cockpit - Too much like the Skoda, very, well boring if I'm honest. Nothing will beat the VC of the S3/RS3, but the Seat does come close with the current version.

Sound deadening/Road Noise - Biggest issue interior wise on the seat. I can't comment on the Golf for this as it had a loud exhaust, big tyres and track coilovers etc.Plus mine isn't running standard suspension anymore. But I would expect the Golf to be quieter road noise wise.

Plastics/switchgear etc - Again Can't say the Golf's felt any higher quality in anyway. Maybe if I tapped the plastics the same way motoring journalists seem to it would make a more satisfying noise. But can't say I felt it was nicer in anyway.

I'm probably just biased in some areas, but the VC, Sat Nav location and Seats I just can't see it.

Now I wonder if wingbacks would be a straight swap...
1593692517582.png

Jun 29, 2020
You won't be disappointed. The only gripe on these cars (axle tramp when boring it from a standstill) can be solved with a £40 insert, decent tyres. If you are so inclined an £80 strut brace makes a big improvement too :) In fact that doesn't really do the car justice. The car is great as is, these just fine tune it.

But biggest thing is tyres. Crossed fingers you get Pirellis and not Continentals. :)

These are the wheels that I'm getting, I'll have to see what they're like when I drive it but I'm not opposed to changing if neeed.

1593697527150.png

Reactions: Damo H

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I don't get this 'nicer' interior about the Mk7 Golf R.

I was lucky enough to get into Racingline's Mk7.5 Golf R (Stage 3 480hp) in February. Now I know I'd been in a Mk7 Golf R estate before, but hadn't had chance to really compare with the Seat back to back as it was a few weeks between. However, this opportunity gave me a really good chance to compare back to back.

So after 3 years in a 280 with full leather, and at the time nearly 18 months in the Carbon, I can honestly say I'd take the Cupra interior over the Golf R in every respect.

Seats - Not a patch on even the standard seats, full cloth. Maybe leather would be better, but the Cupra gets half leather half alcantara as standard. But certainly nowhere near as good as the Buckets I have. Now if you could spec the Wingbacks from the Clubsport, then it would win. But you can't so it doesn't.
View attachment 16113 View attachment 16114 View attachment 16115 View attachment 16116

Sat Nav Screen - Too low down like the Skoda. Not an issue if you have Virtual Cockpit I suppose, but I like the map on the big screen and directions in the central section of the VC. Only advantage was it still had the buttons that the 8" screen for Seat dropped.

View attachment 16117 View attachment 16118

Virtual Cockpit - Too much like the Skoda, very, well boring if I'm honest. Nothing will beat the VC of the S3/RS3, but the Seat does come close with the current version.

Sound deadening/Road Noise - Biggest issue interior wise on the seat. I can't comment on the Golf for this as it had a loud exhaust, big tyres and track coilovers etc.Plus mine isn't running standard suspension anymore. But I would expect the Golf to be quieter road noise wise.

Plastics/switchgear etc - Again Can't say the Golf's felt any higher quality in anyway. Maybe if I tapped the plastics the same way motoring journalists seem to it would make a more satisfying noise. But can't say I felt it was nicer in anyway.

I'm probably just biased in some areas, but the VC, Sat Nav location and Seats I just can't see it.

Now I wonder if wingbacks would be a straight swap...
View attachment 16112
On the Golf you can get leather but it is an option. Leather / carbon look material, also sure you could spec buckets too from new.

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
I have test driven a golf R twice, and a cupra mk3 once... ended up with the cupra both time...

Long story short, the golf R is a better car, it feels better quality, the 4WD is very helpful in England the majority of the time and you can launch all the time even in the wet really well.

For me, I went for the cupra both times as I do 50 miles a day commute, and there is a much better fuel economy from the cupra, but not only that, it feels more alive, the golf R is so planted and sensible, where as the cupra feels more fun and on edge, and in my opinion, looks better and is more rare. Also once your above 30/40mph, the cupra is quicker !

Jun 29, 2020
I have test driven a golf R twice, and a cupra mk3 once... ended up with the cupra both time...

Long story short, the golf R is a better car, it feels better quality, the 4WD is very helpful in England the majority of the time and you can launch all the time even in the wet really well.

For me, I went for the cupra both times as I do 50 miles a day commute, and there is a much better fuel economy from the cupra, but not only that, it feels more alive, the golf R is so planted and sensible, where as the cupra feels more fun and on edge, and in my opinion, looks better and is more rare. Also once your above 30/40mph, the cupra is quicker !

Cheers mate, think I will be opting with the cupra, gonna test drive my mates on Monday before I make my final decision. How's the sound system in the Cupras?

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
Been speaking to a different SEAT dealership about 2 hours away from me, quoted £348 a month for an ex-demo SEAT Cupra 290 Lux edition, 69 plate and 2k miles on it, think I'll be going for that. £2400 deposit but meh, lifes too short to driving a boring car.
Christ - my new 290 Lux is due in two weeks - £1400 down and £271 a month including first two services FOC. 36 months 10K lease.

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
Cheers mate, think I will be opting with the cupra, gonna test drive my mates on Monday before I make my final decision. How's the sound system in the Cupras?

I've got the " seat sound " or whatever it is called now, and yeah, good quality, does rattle the car a little at near full volume. But more than does the job

dc98ddc

Sep 1, 2008
What's the sound system like in SEAT's? My current A6 has the bose speakers and I love it, how does the Cupras compare? I do enjoy listening to my music quite loud when I'm travelling.
Sound system in a cupra is OK, but compared to the sound setup i've got in my audi - the Audi is miles better

Mikertroid

May 31, 2019
One of the major advantages of the FWD is that it has the electronically controlled VAQ diff. Where as the 4WD just has open diffs. So this means that if you put your foot down it will put the power to the wheel with most traction.

The 300 ST 4drive comes with VAQ front diff...

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
The 300 ST 4drive comes with VAQ front diff...
Sorry to say, no it doesn’t. Only comes with the XDS brake system same as the FR.

I know some Seat literature (and ill informed saleman) may say it does, but it doesn’t. It’s mechanically impossible.

The VAQ Diff uses the section of the gearbox that the rear 4drive unit connects into to be able to control the drive between the front wheels. You can’t have both. It’s one or the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zer0

Mikertroid

May 31, 2019
....its listed on MY20 spec. They'd be guilty of false selling if it wasn't, surely?

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
I wanted a MK6 GTI and ended up buying a MK2 FR and then swapped it for a 280 in Dec, I also was hunting for a MK7 GTI by then but the price difference is pretty insane, the golf needs to have no spec and 50k more miles to get near the price of a reasonable Cupra. :D

The only thing that is really grinding on me is the terrible deadspot and throttle response from standing.

I need to get a pedal box really but I can't really justify it becuase I don't use it enough!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.