Got XENON HID ? See this ...

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Thats a bit worrying, especially at MOT time !

Think I'll leave these for now then......

Chris, that is an old scaremongering video. Have a read of this from someone who works for VOSA.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1559719&postcount=1

If you are worried at MOT time it will take you a couple of mins to disconnect the two wires going to the OE bulb harness, leave the ballasts in place and put back your old bulbs. As long as they are aligned ok and not causing other road users bother, I doubt there will be an issue.

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
i have the HIDs4U kit, and have NEVER been flashed from oncoming drivers. He shows a picture of the scattered beam pattern and a view from inside of the car. To me it is clear that the kit they have tested is a poor example of these conversion kits. Reason i say this, is the lights on my car have exactly the same pattern when projected onto the road/a garage door for example, (when compared to a standard halogen bulb). Also the view from inside the car on the video shows the beam really is going everywhere, however mine cleary point down to the road and there is a really clear cut off point where the beam stops.

I will post some pics when i get a chance to show what i mean, but i really think they need to be more specific if they decide to "ban" these sorts of lights, but instead force manufacturers to improve the kits they are selling. I 100% agree with making these lights illegal IF they actually do dazzle other drivers or have a scattered beam pattern, however i strongly believe this isn't the case with the kit i have from HIDs4U...(its the most exensive one they do, for those of you who want to research into it)

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
I think that this is the difference between headlights which have a clear glass front (i.e. ibiza, leon), and rely on the rear housing to reflect the correct beam out, and the car they tested which has the front patterned glass (megan, any old car) to create the correct pattern.

Hope that makes sense.

Si

Southern MoFo!
Aug 21, 2003
Bournemouth
www.westover.org.uk
Same here. Mine has passed 2 MOT's with them in.

Tam has hit the nail, the problem is people fitting them in older glass headlights that just cause the light to flood the whole headlamp.

My light pattern is very crisp and no-one has flashed me either.

Did anyone notice they seem to have picked the most blue kit they could get for the megane? Also i have had cars behind me that have made me adjust my rear view mirror as their standard headlights have blinded me due to not being aligned correctly. So they can't just blame HID's.

And £300! I only payed £64 and mine are perfect!

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
When I was looking to buy a HID kit for the ibiza I looked up on this topic. Some kits DO actually scatter the beam pattern BUT it depends on your headlight cluster and how it reflects the beam. The ibiza passed the MOT and i specifically asked them to test the beam patterns and passed with flying colours. Some claims i read where to do with the shape of the light clusters i.e size and if the clusters had Euro adjustment feature on it for driving on the wrong side of the road which FAILED the HID tests. Ibizas and Leons have small clusters and concentrates the beams better however cars like ford focuses have huge clusters and even i can say ive been dazzled by focuses. Its a delicate matter HID Kits and have many grey areas such as the law states they have to be self levelling?! I asked an MOT tester and he said it could mean "The driver has the ability to adjust the height manually or it could mean adjusment by using an internal switch" so technically they are ok. There was one case i read about where somebody replaced the passenger headlight cluster after an accident somehow it wasnt a UK headlight and therefor caused major problems.

The £50 set that RobM gave me a link to (its a sticky in leon mk1 section) are perfect! beam patterns ok for ibiza and leons.

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
im sure they have to be self levelling if standard in order to avoid lights being too high.
i also believe they have to have headlight washers.

yes they have to be self levelling but an MOT Tester said self levelling could mean "adjustment from inside the car using a switch OR the ability to be able to manually adjust them on the cluster" because old cars dont have the electric adjustment in their cars. As for the headlight washers i dont believe its true as the misses parents have a new focus with HID option and they dont have washers

A16NS V

Don't tell my boss
May 2, 2005
Middle-lands
So what exactly is the video telling us? That HID bulbs are illegal or just illegal when they are misaligned and will fail an MOT? If so whoopee what's new?

I've got HID on my Hayabusa and the beams are clear and focused and passed an MOT. I don't get flashed but I do get seen which has to be a benefit.

Tam

Feb 10, 2005
yes they have to be self levelling but an MOT Tester said self levelling could mean "adjustment from inside the car using a switch OR the ability to be able to manually adjust them on the cluster" because old cars dont have the electric adjustment in their cars. As for the headlight washers i dont believe its true as the misses parents have a new focus with HID option and they dont have washers

ALL UK cars sold from new with factory fit xenon's, MUST have self levelling lights and headlamp washers.

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
ALL UK cars sold from new with factory fit xenon's, MUST have self levelling lights and headlamp washers.

how come my car passed the MOT then? I had this all checked out I told the MOT tester its an aftermarket kit he looked into it and told me its passed! There is no LAW to say they are illegal they WANT to make them illegal because some cars reflectors dazzle other drivers is what the video is saying and instead of narrowing it down to a few makes and models of cars they just want to ban it completely.

As long as the light pattern isnt different to factory standard then its legal to date

Tam

Feb 10, 2005
how come my car passed the MOT then? I had this all checked out I told the MOT tester its an aftermarket kit he looked into it and told me its passed! There is no LAW to say they are illegal they WANT to make them illegal because some cars reflectors dazzle other drivers is what the video is saying and instead of narrowing it down to a few makes and models of cars they just want to ban it completely.

As long as the light pattern isnt different to factory standard then its legal to date

HUH? You didn't buy your car from new with xenons, you fitted them afterwards. ... and i didn't say anything about an MOT ?

There's an EU directive somewhere (not sad enough to go searching) that states that any car sold by a manufacture with xenons they must be self leveling and have washers. So if Ford sell a car in the uk with xenons then it will have the above.

If you go and buy a kit and add it to a car you already have purchase, then your not a manufacturer of the car and therefore don't need to abide by the same regs!

A16NS V

Don't tell my boss
May 2, 2005
Middle-lands

I think you have him confused :) What he means is if the car is manufactured with them on then it is a requirement of the manufacturer to have a self levelling device and washers.
Aftermarket as you have done does not have such a ruling.

DodgyDave

May 15, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
if they come with the car from new (factory fit) then they MUST have self-leveling & washers - EU directive.

If you fit them yourself afterwards, usually by just changing the bulbs, then the following applies:

1. the lights are NOT to EU standards/directives so ARE ILLEGAL to use on public roads, only police or DOT inspectors (usually working with the police) can do anything about this.

2. they WILL pass a MOT as this only looks at the allignment & beam patteren, as long as these are correct the inspector can't fail it - even knowing that it's illegal to use on the road

Again this is for UK roads .... dont know for other areas :)

I've got a HID-bulb kit on my Leon and it's passed 2 (or 3) MOT's, will be in for it's next in a few weeks and i won't be taking them off for it ;)

Dave

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise