GTI 30 vs Leon Cupra

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
You know what, Dan - you don't half come across as an arsey twat.

I know we think we know the difference, remember the thread I started last year?

Anyway, read the document, it's about the Ed30, not the GTi.

It doesn't specifically state that the Ed30 shares the same block etc as the S3, but it hints that it does, and it is a Volkswagen Driver article, so who knows :shrug:

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
You know what, Dan - you don't half come across as an arsey twat.

I know we think we know the difference, remember the thread I started last year?

Anyway, read the document, it's about the Ed30, not the GTi.

It doesn't specifically state that the Ed30 shares the same block etc as the S3, but it hints that it does, and it is a Volkswagen Driver article, so who knows :shrug:

sorry wasnt meant to sound arsy, just that the thread seems to be going round in circles. Especially when people reckon they know stuff when they dont, and add mis-information to the thread.

surely the only way to tell is to compare part numbers in Etka, apperently most of the parts if not all have proven to be the same?

The question the remains to be seen is why the compression difference?

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Fair enough, I have to agree with you there. I'm the same :D

Even when more people repeat something that they read on t'internet, it doesn't make it any more factually based :D And that's not pointed at you, but at "them"

Wouldn't surprise me if the guy that wrote that article read something on the internet...

Anyway, has anyone actually seen this ekta list, I mean actually got a copy to post up?

Poverty

Well I have PM'ed some audi guys who apparently converse with some of the audi engineers so lets see if they get back to me.

ents

Jan 12, 2007
Tallinn - Estonia
Wasn't meaning to wind anyone up! But take your Leon Goggles off mate, it has its shortcomings, like all cars.

VW lost its quality? They might have lost their direction in the mid to late 90's... but the latest models are pretty impressively put together. The new GTI is very well built with quality materials and fitment, its a lovely place to be. The old Leon was pretty much pinched from the A3 in terms of interior, with just some tacky switchgear. The new Leon might be unique to the Leon, but you cant tell me that all the plastics are top notch, and that it doesnt rattle? I had a Cupra for a couple of hours and it had more rattles than my 4yr old Leon - and this was a car with 900 miles on it.

The Golf costs MUCH more than the Cupra? At last check, in basic spec, there was just a few hundred pound in it.

The Anniversary might very well be a money trick, but they are worth it as they are quicker, better specced, will hold its value significantly better, and offer a bit of exclusivity on our roads, not common these days.

They might very well up the standard GTI's power, but itll be 230 and no more. Just like the last model, where the 180bhp 1.8T came in alongisde the 150bhp late on in the models life.

Im only saying it how i see it...

Not taking an offence mate :) And I used to have many Golf goggles you know. But we ARE in Cupra forum... And I'm aware of shortcomings of my FR ofcourse but you have not mentioned any of them. I'd also prefere if inside of Leon was little bit more emotional and I really love the quality feel of GTI. That is why I-m planning to throw some alcantara in my FR to make it more comfy and quality feeling. But that doesn't mean its worse made than GTI. I had only one rattle and thats fixed by now. Its totally rattle free (9000km on clock). One thing whats annoying me is road noise (also fixable) but thats about it. Read Vortex about today's VW's and their quality issues.
Price difference is explained by others here already - with all extras 30th Ann costs way more than standard Cupra. But please tell us what is so exclusive about 30th Ann model. Labels? Dark alloys? Cupra engine?
And as I mentioned - I'm a fan of GTI also. GTI V is a real hothatch again like it used to be in 70's and 80's. If FR or Cupra didn't exist I'd go for GTI in a blink. But for standard GTI that is. My previous 3 cars were gen II and gen III GTI's and the last one was V6 Golf. So dont think I'm not loving other VAG cars. Cupra and FR simply are best value and (for my eyes at least) best looking hot-hatches today. We all know why VAG didn't put 4WD to new Cupra or FR - it'd simply slautered the GTI (they'd probably cost about the same). It would have been a financial suicide for 2WD GTI and 4WD R32 and Quattro S3. At least now the VW can ask some extra money for their "premium" brand and GTI label.

PS. I'm really sorry about my icky english - as you understand its not my everyday language. :redface:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.