gti 8v randomly cutting out

pinhead

im new to the forum and new to the ibiza, so might be a common problem but cant seem to find any info on it. bought my gti 8v about 2 months back, driven fine since the start but i got the timing belt changed for peace of mind.

now when im driven it suddenly cuts out, sometimes completely dies and others just kicks straight back in, doesnt matter whether im driven fast or slow, also it can go a day or so without the problem then others it just does it constantly. also sometimes it stalls when idling.

have had the car checked other and also plugged in with no fault readings showing and also throttle bodies were cleaned out etc.. at same time

anyone got an idea of what this could be?

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
search for the words THROTTLE BODY (or bodies)
should throw up a wealth of info for you :D
could also be the hoses (split/cracked) also check over the coil HT leads dissy/rotor etc
:)

Welcome in and good luck in getting it sorted
:D

pinhead

thanks for the quick reply, had a good look using the search and couldnt really find what im looking for, might just be missing something.

anyway would this type of fault be down to the throttle body? or is there anything else i should be looking for?

j.cavo

8 valves of pure power
Aug 6, 2009
Liverpool
m8 it sounds like the rotory arm if its jus dyin an cumin back to life undo the disy cap an check it and check the air inlet pipes could be a split in 1 sendin the maf crazy cuttin ur seat out

pinhead

all pipes were checked other day, few were replaced as they was perished. just checked the rotor arm and it dont look too good, same goes for the dizzy cap, think i'll replace these and see what happens, thanks for the advice

j.cavo

8 valves of pure power
Aug 6, 2009
Liverpool
all pipes were checked other day, few were replaced as they was perished. just checked the rotor arm and it dont look too good, same goes for the dizzy cap, think i'll replace these and see what happens, thanks for the advice

i wud do m8 its only a couple of pennys its probs never been replaced had the same problem bought a polo for a ton an the owner thought he was getting rid of it at a good price cos it was f*cked but it was the case a wacking a £7 rotor arm on

toonfiend

Hail to the Plug!!!!
Jun 27, 2008
Could be your crank sensor mate, mine gave up a while back and the symptoms you have sound very familiar. I presume its in the same place as the 16V behind the oil filter, check the wiring, mine was all corroded.

pinhead

my mate also suggested the crank sensor the other day, ment to be dropping the car off to him on monday morning so he can have a proper look over it and a test drive, but everytime he drives it its fine, bad timing i guess lol.

anyway rotor arm and dizzy cap is now replaced, car seems fine but as said does cut out when ever it feels like, so guess a few days of driving will see if its made a difference.

toonfiend

Hail to the Plug!!!!
Jun 27, 2008
When my crank sensor was on the way out it started cutting out once every week or so, then as it got worse it would go every day, and finally I couldnt go more than 5 miles without it conking out. I suppose once its truly knackered the car probably wont even start. Best off checking it out sooner rather than later. A new one cost me about 35 quid and took a couple of hours to fit, its a pain as the starter has to come off and you need to remove your engine mounting bracket at the front. A mate of mine got his on his Golf done at a garage, paid about a ton.

pinhead

hopefully the problem is sorted, since having new dizzy cap and rotor arm its been fine, driven about 70 miles without any trouble :D soon see if the good times last though

pinhead

got a couple hundred miles done now and not a sign of te problem, look like its cured, and all down to the dizzy and rotor, thanks for everyones help

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise