gti clock problems

graffacake

can you smell burning?
May 11, 2007
guildford
www.myspace.com
hi all, just put a gti clockset in my 1.4clx, rev guage ligthing etc all works fine, but the handbrake warning light wont go off, and if i take the revs over 3000 rpm the oil warning light flashes with a really anoying buzzer :( its got plenty of oil in both the gearbox and engine.
is this a common problem thats easily fixed, or should i just abandon the whole idea and get a tacho in a pillar mount?
thanks

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
You can test the handbrake light by lifting the cover off the handbrake and testing the switch. See if the light goes off or it may just be the switch.

dirtbiker

Dec 28, 2006
Southampton / Nottingham
I had this problem when I tried to fit some Cordoba SX clocks to my 1.4.

I think the sensors give different values for the faster cars (you'll notice that the gti clocks have a 140mph speedo whereas your old clocks will have a 120mph one).

I didn't try to resolve the problem, I simply went back to the scrapyard and changed the Cordoba clocks for a set from a Polo which work perfectly. The only downside to doing this is that the illumination on the Polo dials is green but I've changed the rest of my dash to match (cos green's my favourite colour lol)

Good luck with it...

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
It's a sensor thing... the clocks you have put in might be older or a lot newer than the previous set.

I had this issue with my Mk3 Polo... I put clocks from a 1992 GT into my 1994 Fox and had the problem - hit 3K and the oil buzzer went off... eventually put the old clocks back in.

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
I prefer the OEM look too.

On my Mk2 I fitted clocks from a 1997 1.4 into my 1998 1.4 and they worked fine, but I had this issue with my Mk3 Polo.

It's something to do with two signals are required by the clocks on the older/newer model but only one is sent - oil pressure/temp related I know that much.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Pick up a haynes, trace some wires to the back of the clocks, you'll find that they're wired differently for some models.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise