Guide to catch tank fittings.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Hopefully this will clear up all the confusion as to where to plumb in the catch tank hose.
This is my old and original catch tank but it is easier to see whats happening.
All car fittings ar 19mm but most catch tanks are not, i think a lot are 14mm but with the one pictured i put the supplied hose over the inputs on the catch tank then cut the hose making a sleve and the 19mm fitted over nicely then put on the jubilee clip.

This is how it looks from the top, you can see one hose goes into the Rocker cover (3) and then "T"'s of down to the Crank Breather (2)the other goes to the tip.

3087114962_3ed06d962e_b.jpg

This is the location for the Crank hose (2), use the OE elbow and just remove the pipe work

3086281093_77dcf63353_b.jpg

Another pic showing the direction of the hose from the "T"

3087116520_63669aa019_b.jpg

This where it goes into the rocker cover (3)

3087118062_c0f99c8286_b.jpg

This is where the hose goes into the TIP and comes directly from the catch tank.

3087116112_20e149c8b0_b.jpg

When removing the OE pipe work do it a bit at a time so you dont loose track, if any part goes to the inlet manifold just remove it and plug the inlet nipple with a piece of hose blocked off, on the LC you will have a "Y" piece left with only one part of the "Y" being used this is essentially now a straight so remove it and replace with some silicon hose make sure you do this properly as its you brake vacuum hose, on the LCR i THINK the equivalent of this is the "U" shaped hose which comes of the left hand side inlet out let.

I hope this helps to show where all the hoses go. Oh by the way this is what my catch tank looks like now, i managed to find one with two inlets so no need to "T" any thing.

4330495880_e0f6f94b06_b.jpg

Last edited:

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Hats off to your sir, good Job, this should clear up the mystery of fitting a Catch tank for a lot of people.
I think it would be helpful if you also listed the hose/joiner/t-piece diameters for people, no doubt they will only ask.

Sticky.

Last edited:

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Hats off to your sir, good Job, this should clear up the mystery of fitting a Catch tank for a lot of people.
I think it would be helpful if you also listed the hose/joiner/t-piece diameters for people, no doubt they will only ask.

Thank you, i have added the info you asked for.

this should be a sticky :whistle:

Cheers Phillc :D

My pleasure, it would be a good idea to make at a sticky ;) Dave?

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
When removing the OE pipe work do it a bit at a time so you dont loose track, if any part goes to the inlet manifold just remove it and plug the inlet nipple with a piece of hose blocked off, on the LC you will have a "Y" piece left with only one part of the "Y" being used this is essentially now a straight so remove it and replace with some silicon hose make sure you do this properly as its you brake vacuum hose, on the LCR i THINK the equivalent of this is the "U" shaped hose which comes of the left hand side inlet out let.

Just a couple of pics of the new brake booster set up on the LCR following the PCV removal; I have colour coded the hoses on paint to help (note the blue silicon pipe in the picture has a bolt in the other end and is blocked off):

The nipple on the bottom of the inlet mani is blocked using a short length of silicone pipe and a bolt:

My setup:

Pyro

nice little guide there phill :) ill be doing this at the weekend i hope :) but what do i take out?? lol how many elbows do you erally need??

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Follow what comes from the pipe on top of the oil filter and remove it, you will have some pipes that go to the inlet manifold you will need to blank them of so you dont get a vacuum leak, then follow what comes from the cam cover and remove that right up to the tip. You should have two out puts from the engine the one on the cam cover and the one from the top of the oil filter they both blow gases from the engine and need to be "T'ed" together and then in to the catch tank, you can then either run the out from the catch tank to the T.I.P or out to atmosphere under the bulk head (not in the engine bay or the gases will end up in the car and you will die) The amount of elbows depends on the route of the hoses and where you have mounted the catch tank, the best thing to do is mount the catch tank and then plan your hose route. I hope this makes sense.

This is my latest set up, just to confuse matters more i have had my catch tank custom made and has two inlets and the one outlet this allows me to run the hoses without having to "T" them together, but you can follow the hose routes from the pipe under the manifold and the
cam cover and to the T.I.P.

5078353395_b3228d5474_b.jpg

(if anyone is interested in the catch tanks PM me and i will let you have the contact details and cost of the tank, please note i do not benefit from any sales of these tanks)

Last edited:

Pyro

i think it does :think: lol iv'e only got 1 T pice :( and no elbows gunna get some now tho how many would you recomend mr phill and have you posted my goods :)

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Follow what comes from the pipe on top of the oil filter and remove it, you will have some pipes that go to the inlet manifold you will need to blank them of so you dont get a vacuum leak, then follow what comes from the cam cover and remove that right up to the tip. You should have two out puts from the engine the one on the cam cover and the one from the top of the oil filter they both blow gases from the engine and need to be "T'ed" together and then in to the catch tank, you can then either run the out from the catch tank to the T.I.P or out to atmosphere under the bulk head (not in the engine bay or it will end up in the car and you will die) The amount of elbows depends on the route of the hoses and where you have mounted the catch tank, the best thing to do is mount the catch tank and then plan your hose route. I hope this makes sense.

This is my latest set up, just to confuse matters more i have had my catch tank custom made and has two inlets and the one outlet this allows me to run the hoses without having to "T" them together, but you can follow the hose routes from the pipe under the manifold and the
cam cover and to the T.I.P.

5078353395_b3228d5474_b.jpg

(if anyone is interested in the catch tanks PM me and i will let you have the contact details and cost of the tank, please note i do not benefit from any sales of these tanks)

I like that bit

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
I will be posting the "goods" tomorrow, i got stuck in the office all day and could'nt get out, it all depends on the hose route you are planning once you know that then you can get the "Ts" and elbows.

Pyro

wicked :) i think ill follow the sam route as the first one ;) as its the sam tank ;) lol

1 T pice
3 elbows
and are all the straights necessary?

JayFR150

Fresh & Clean
Jul 20, 2008
Near Gatwick
Anyone know the reason you have to blank off the inlet manifold hose?? Surely with this set up / keeping the tip as the breather you won't need to blank it ?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.