H.i.d

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Yeah I will mate, If anyone wants the link send me a pm ;)

Ive got a pic of the box somewhere incase anyone wants a look, although the bulbs on the box arent what was in the box :happy:

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
05022010156.jpg

Thats the box my HIDs came in, and my sidelights beside it if you can make them out :)

ben-ducky

Feb 25, 2008
Llanelli, S Wales
quick question... one of my hids at times doesnt come on but when i turn light switch on and off it comes on then and is fine?
going to have a look at it tomorrow now if i get time and make sure all the connections are tight.
anyone experienced anything like this?

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
If you put the H7 and the HID bulbs side by side - you will notice that the HID 45mm bulbs put the "ARC" area further in to the headlight than the filament on a H7 bulb - this will change bthe beam spread pattern.

The 40mm HID bulbs put the "ARC" area in about the same area as a standard H7 bulb and give better beam pattern similer to a standard H7 bulb.

I just realised I missed your point earlier, I was thinking of H7R`s but I need to forget about them for a minute...
Yes, the 40mm bulbs have the "globe" closer to the base, which will adjust the arc closer to the reflector, meaning theoretically the focal length is increased while light towards the edge of the reflector (glare) is reduced.

I have some short H7R bulbs in the shed, I was given them a while ago but did`nt use them as they have the blackout in the wrong place (as mentioned earlier). I may try them at some point to see how it affects the beam.

ben-ducky

Feb 25, 2008
Llanelli, S Wales
quick question... one of my hids at times doesnt come on but when i turn light switch on and off it comes on then and is fine?
going to have a look at it tomorrow now if i get time and make sure all the connections are tight.
anyone experienced anything like this?

I think I've found out why this happens...I think the HIDs are draining the life out of my battery. At night I always get in the car, flick the switch to turn the lights on and then turn the car on (habit).
When I do this sometimes only the one HID comes on and then once the car is running i switch the lights off and then on again and they both come on.
This wouldnt be a problem but i THINK that one of my hids went off just now while i was driving home.

Anyone else experienced anything like this? The only explanation for them not coming on when engine isnt running and then working every time when engine is running has to be something to do with the power they are using right?

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Yeah I beleive thats got to do with the amount of power they draw to start. They take alot more power than the standard halogen.
If I remember correctly, turning the light on without the engine running then turning on the engine could blow the HID?

Anyway, Im sure in my FR I cant turn on the dipped beam until the engine is running? I can turn the knob round but the lights dont fire up until the engine is on..:lol:

ben-ducky

Feb 25, 2008
Llanelli, S Wales
Yeah I beleive thats got to do with the amount of power they draw to start. They take alot more power than the standard halogen.
If I remember correctly, turning the light on without the engine running then turning on the engine could blow the HID?

Anyway, Im sure in my FR I cant turn on the dipped beam until the engine is running? I can turn the knob round but the lights dont fire up until the engine is on..:lol:

Ye the dipped beams come on when u turn the key in the ignition 'one click' (so to speak).
just before actually starting the engine.
Just hope that the HID doesnt start going out while the engine is running thats all...i will be very dissapointed if I have to go to the fuss of sending them back :cry:

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
At night I always get in the car, flick the switch to turn the lights on and then turn the car on (habit).
When I do this sometimes only the one HID comes on and then once the car is running i switch the lights off and then on again and they both come on.
This wouldnt be a problem but i THINK that one of my hids went off just now while i was driving home.

Basically mate you should`nt do this with hid`s... it`s what buggers them. It may well have knackered one up already from what you say - with it starting to switch itself off now.

They should be switched on after engine start (stable delivery voltage has been achieved),
or if you are going to start your engine make sure they are off first... then turn them back on after start.
They also should`nt be switched on and off repeatedly and/or in quick succession.

These warnings came with my hids4u kit. Says it will reduce the life of them drastically or as Mick said you could blow one there and then.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.