Hard wiring 5v car charger / routing cables from RHD near headlight switch

dynamis_dk

Jun 28, 2017
Barnsley, Yorkshire
So I've got myself setup with a 3rd party magsafe charger for the iPhone and I've been using it for a while and its working a treat, magnetic hold the phone secure so I'm very happy with it. For now I'm just stringing the USB cable over my legs the cig lighter with a 5v adapter as needed but now I know I'm keeping this as my phone holder, It would be great to hard wire it in. I don't really want to start poking around at trim too much in case I damage anything. I had a Focus estate before the Leon ST and managed to wire up the charger before so I've some experience doing this myself. For the Focus I could get a Haynes manual but as far as I can tell there is only the cut down online things for the MK3 2016 Leon so I'm looking for community help.

Any advise on guidelines which have good photos, hints on how to remove any trim which might be needed or best place to get for a ignition live for 5v usb connector.

Would something like this be a decent solution with a fuse tap? Not sure if there is an accessible fuse panel on the interior of the Leon or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam davies

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
So I've got myself setup with a 3rd party magsafe charger for the iPhone and I've been using it for a while and its working a treat, magnetic hold the phone secure so I'm very happy with it. For now I'm just stringing the USB cable over my legs the cig lighter with a 5v adapter as needed but now I know I'm keeping this as my phone holder, It would be great to hard wire it in. I don't really want to start poking around at trim too much in case I damage anything. I had a Focus estate before the Leon ST and managed to wire up the charger before so I've some experience doing this myself. For the Focus I could get a Haynes manual but as far as I can tell there is only the cut down online things for the MK3 2016 Leon so I'm looking for community help.

Any advise on guidelines which have good photos, hints on how to remove any trim which might be needed or best place to get for a ignition live for 5v usb connector.

Would something like this be a decent solution with a fuse tap? Not sure if there is an accessible fuse panel on the interior of the Leon or not.

The fuse panel is behind the glovebox. The device you have linked looks to be suitable to me. :)

dynamis_dk

Jun 28, 2017
Barnsley, Yorkshire
Awesome, is it just a case of fuse tap into fuse box gives you 12v (choosing suitable fuse position which gives ignition live) and then you have to ground the black to the body work somewhere. Can you get away with grounding to any bare metal point or is there dedicated point I need to find. I think the usb from the charger will likely route behind the wheel / aircon towards the glovebox so I might be able to keep all wiring close to glove box.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Awesome, is it just a case of fuse tap into fuse box gives you 12v (choosing suitable fuse position which gives ignition live) and then you have to ground the black to the body work somewhere. Can you get away with grounding to any bare metal point or is there dedicated point I need to find. I think the usb from the charger will likely route behind the wheel / aircon towards the glovebox so I might be able to keep all wiring close to glove box.
This should hopefully give you the info you require, https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/resources/dashcam-wiring-guide-for-mk3-leon.3/
although most of it is for a rear cam.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members