Hawk Remote Locking Question

Neil1

Jan 10, 2010
Just Received one of these kits through the post;
P1020191.jpg

My next question is how do I go about wiring it up. I have been reading other posts on it but still unsure about thing like physically tapping into the 12v power, the indicator wire ect.

Here is a pic of the wires under the dash - which i think controls the central locking - need to test with a multimeter.
Am I right in thinking its the white wire into blue / red for locking and white / black into white / black for unlocking?
P1020144.jpg

How do I go about tapping into the 12 volt power. I do not think it would be a good idea for me to cut this wire. How would it be best to tap into it - strip the insulation off and twist new wire round it and solder?

Next is the ground where is the best place to attach the earth up to or does it not matter?
ALso where is it best to mount the hawk unit ?
More than 1 question I know but your help would be greatly appreciated.

So i make that 6 wires in total 2 for lock / unlock, 1 live, 1 ground, 2 for the indicator. Is that right or have i missed something?

Also where is the best place to mount the unit?
More than 1 question I know but your help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
If you asked them they would of sent you a wiring diagram for the mk2 Ibiza that helps with fitting.

I asked some questions about this kit back in February/March time and got some pics of where I put the unit in my Readers Ride thread.

Some of the wires on that loom you dont need as they are for add-ons for the kit like a window closure unit and a boot popper.

For 12v Power there is a thick red wire that runs up the centre console, use that for the permanent power. There is also a black wire of the same thickness, that is the ignition 12v power. Both the wires are much thicker than the rest of the wires. I stripped the insulation and soldered the wires from the kit onto it.

For locking it is the white and white/black wires and they go to the blue/green and red/green, I cant remember which way round the wires go but I can find out for you, I connected them using scotch-locks onto the wires going into the door. But to get the locking to work correctly you also have to connect the yellow and yellow/black wire to the 12v Power source, I just connected these to the red wire with the fuse in it on the loom. Its because of the Ibiza's locking being pneumatic.

For the earth there is an earthing point on the A-Piller up behind the dash, it has a black plastic cap on top of it, I just used that.

And Im sure that the indicator wires behind the dash are black/green and black/green with white on it.

And for the little blue light I fitted that into one of the plastic blanks under the Rear Window switch.

I can double check all of the wires for you when I get my car back from the bodyshop, I may also still have the wiring guide I got from Hawk themselves.

Neil1

Jan 10, 2010
thanks craigw, thats awsome. Im gonna have a go at it tommorow.
just a bit confused - 12v thick red wire, 12v black wire then there is another 12v yellow and yellow black wire need to be connected to the red wire on the loom of the hawk kit?
what are those 2 wires for?

Last edited:

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
thanks craigw, thats awsome. Im gonna have a go at it tommorow.
just a bit confused - 12v thick red wire, 12v black wire then there is another 12v yellow and yellow black wire need to be connected to the red wire on the loom of the hawk kit?
what are those 2 wires for?

Thick red wire is the Permanent 12v, the thick black wire is the 12v Ignition/Switched.

The yellow and yellow/black wire is on the loom for the Hawk kit and is wiring that for different locking types etc and part of the locking system. There is a diagram in the instruction booklet that shows this, but I will try and explain it. The yellow and yellow/black wire have to be connected to the Permanent 12v (I used the red wire on the Hawk loom that has the fuse inline), if these arent connected the car locks then unlocks straight away. This is because of the Ibiza locking system being a pneumatic system and not electric.

I have had my kit fitted since March and havent had any problems with it at all.

Neil1

Jan 10, 2010
I shall give it a go tommorow! thanks will let you know how i get on, Hopefully it wont result in my breaking it!

Neil1

Jan 10, 2010
Just thought i'd do an update on the hawk install. Managed to get it all working, so much better now!
here's a photo of where I installed it;
P1020194.jpg

Just need to wire in the indicator wires now which hopefully shoudnt be to difficult. Will need to find another location for the hawk box as its not ideal next to the fuse box. Installed the blue led up by the dimmer switch, will get that seat properly when i get a chance.

Last edited:

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Glad that you got it fitted ok mate. I put the blue led in one of the blanks where the rear window demister switch is. I put the hawk box behind the dash under the heater controls on the right side. I used the big sticky pad and stuck it to the side like so.

LockingKitFitted1.jpg

Im going to upgrade mine at some point. I have the window closer system to fit to it, thats my next job.

Neil1

Jan 10, 2010
Moved the hawk box now to central console now as well. Wired up the indicator lights and is all working good :)
Is it possible to wire in the interior light so it comes on when you unlock the doors?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise