Head light washers

JoeV

Apr 28, 2008
Chester
Most cars only have headlamp washers if they have xenon lights as its an MOT requirement i believe. I have never seen a leon with xenons i dont think, although it may have been an option i am not sure.

JoeV

Apr 28, 2008
Chester
Best bet is to have a look at other VAG cars such as the A3 and golf and see how they work. you'd need to pipe them up to the washer bottle (Which you'd also have to replace for one that has the out puts) and make sure they squirt the lights intermitently as they do from the manufacturers.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
I think it is fairly straight forward the jets are water powered not electric and the bottle is out off the MK4 golf so should be straight swap, just a little fettling with the loom as they should squirt when the windscreen washers go, just thought it would be different.

Gezz

Nov 12, 2006
Manchester
don't think Leon was ever available in this country with headlight washers.

Not sure how easy it would be to fit as both the Golf and A3 washers "hide" in the front bumper until they are used and then lift up to squirt the headlights, so some sort of motor is used. Sounds like a big job to me, but must be possible.

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
Yeah you would need to purchase and fit the motor mechs and if the fitment is different to the gold/a3 then you would need to fabricate mounting brackets. You'd need to cut holes in your bumper yourself and make perfect cuts as otherwise they'll look nasty.

I think it would be a lot of work for something that is cool but hardly the most desirable of mods.

Gezz

Nov 12, 2006
Manchester
With regards to Xenon lights, the law states that all new vehicles must have either headlight washers or self levelling suspension.

Not sure if this law applies to aftermarket kits, and going off most people at MOT stations not sure if they would know the difference, as long as they are aligned correctly.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
No motors needed the jets pop up under the waters pressure then pop down again after. All thats needed are the jets, pipe work, the water bottle and pump and the nerve to cut the holes in the bumper.
The jets are from a R32 by the way.

MGSteve

heh, how odd is that I do a google search about fitting the pop up washers and a thread by you is on the first page. (Phil's my brother to those thinking 'what the hell' at the moment).

Did you get any further with these, we've fitted HIDs to our MG TF and I was thinking about some popup washers for them.

Just to clear up a bit of the HID info in this thread. Cars with aftermarket systems do, it seems, have to be fitted with washer jets and self levelling headlight systems (not suspension, although that will suffice). Although with the TF that's not much of an issue, unless you fill the boot up with something right heavy - lead weights for example!

But a washer could be fitted. If you have projector headlamps it also appears that you're on better ground legally too as they don't suffer from light scatter anywhere near as badly (if at all) as the normal style of headlight (with the lens in the glass of the headlight).

Technically they are illegal and whilst I've fitted them to a Rover 75 and MG TF, both had projector headlights.

So, the washers just pop up on their own accord then from the water pressure? I'm guessing they don't operate at the same pressure as the windscreen jets then.

Also finding some to fit the profile of the TF's front bumper is going to be interesting!

daz_cymru

Leon Divotee
Jul 13, 2008
north wales
its H.I.D's that are retro fitted, they are slightly different to xenons i think

no they are the same thing HID is what they are actually called (High Intensity Discharge Bulbs) but they commanly refured to as xeons which is the gas that is in side the bulbs :)

MGSteve

Yeah, they're sometimes confused with the Xenon bulbs you can get form Halfords! Not the same at all!

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
heh, how odd is that I do a google search about fitting the pop up washers and a thread by you is on the first page. (Phil's my brother to those thinking 'what the hell' at the moment).

Did you get any further with these, we've fitted HIDs to our MG TF and I was thinking about some popup washers for them.

Just to clear up a bit of the HID info in this thread. Cars with aftermarket systems do, it seems, have to be fitted with washer jets and self levelling headlight systems (not suspension, although that will suffice). Although with the TF that's not much of an issue, unless you fill the boot up with something right heavy - lead weights for example!

But a washer could be fitted. If you have projector headlamps it also appears that you're on better ground legally too as they don't suffer from light scatter anywhere near as badly (if at all) as the normal style of headlight (with the lens in the glass of the headlight).

Technically they are illegal and whilst I've fitted them to a Rover 75 and MG TF, both had projector headlights.

So, the washers just pop up on their own accord then from the water pressure? I'm guessing they don't operate at the same pressure as the windscreen jets then.

Also finding some to fit the profile of the TF's front bumper is going to be interesting!

Ha Ha LOL how funny's that, well no i did'nt do it, when the washers came they where mooosive and the cover needed to sit flush with the bumper and there was no way i was going to cut the bumper to try and fit only to find they didn't so i am still looking, i have seen some where the cover sits on top of the bumper but cant remember what car they were off.:shrug:

MGSteve

You could always try and find a damaged front bumper from a scrappy and offer to take it off their hands. As long as it can fit on the car and isn't damaged where you want to cut it, it would do for to test it out ...

Skint

Because i'm worthless..
Dec 7, 2008
On the A281
howd folks

errr i'm pretty sure you can get headlamp washers on the leon.. i have them on mine, on 03 plate 20vt.
I think they came as part of a 'winter pack' origionally, i'm not %100 percent sure. The car came with all these goodies:
Electric Heated Leather Seat
Electric Sunroof
Electric heated windscreen washer
Headlamp washer
Blue tinted electric folding mirrors
Rain Sensor
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirrors
Centre Arm Rest

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise