Heater/Air Con fault code 459015 and burning smell

Johnny Leon

May 17, 2005
Noticed an intermittent burning smell in cabin. Ruled out other cars etc making smell. Ran Carista scan and just 1 fault code - Heater and Air Con - 459015. No more info and googling just comes up with 'Databus missing message - intermittent'. I got this code 3 weeks ago (and some unrelated ones) and cleared it. No burning smell at the time.

Blower works ok on all settings and get hot/cold air in cabin as normal. Opened glove box and no smell. Opened bonnet after a run and hot around top of rad/airbox but would expect that.

Anyone had similar ?

biminibob

Mar 27, 2022
Noticed an intermittent burning smell in cabin. Ruled out other cars etc making smell. Ran Carista scan and just 1 fault code - Heater and Air Con - 459015. No more info and googling just comes up with 'Databus missing message - intermittent'. I got this code 3 weeks ago (and some unrelated ones) and cleared it. No burning smell at the time.

Blower works ok on all settings and get hot/cold air in cabin as normal. Opened glove box and no smell. Opened bonnet after a run and hot around top of rad/airbox but would expect that.

Anyone had similar ?
Just noticed similar this week. Intermittent, seems strongest after starting from cold.

Did you get to the bottom of it?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I had a burning smell from my PTC heater in my TDI.

On cold mornings when your heat setting is high and you have enough battery voltage it will switch on (if you have one?) an auxiliary electric PTC heater in your heater unit in the dash - positioned next to the heater matrix.
My thick cable had part melted! which is were the smell came from. If it is the PTC you can turn the aux PTC heater off in the AC setting menu for safety.

Reactions: biminibob
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members