heater only works on speed 4

griff82

Leon Cupra 20v Turbo
Jan 13, 2009
anybody know why my heater only works on speed 4 ....would i be the switch?????

Dannny

just a complete guess but could it be the resistor on the heater unit itself? i know thats the case with old polo's may be similar?

CIarkie

Jun 12, 2005
Basingstoke
Its sounds to me that you have the same problem i have. basically the heater wheel makes contact with copper strips which are in a circular arrangment. It sounds to me that they are not making contact correctly. Can you get speed 1-3 work if you press in, or go slightly between two speeds? I have only 2 work, have to press in for 1 but it cuts when i release, 3 is at 3.5 and 4 is just past for. Need the wheel of and clean all and adjust the contact piece

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
It could be the resistor that is behind the glove-box pretty much in the centre. Mine would only work on 4 because it was knackered. Changed it then had the below problem.

Its sounds to me that you have the same problem i have. basically the heater wheel makes contact with copper strips which are in a circular arrangment. It sounds to me that they are not making contact correctly. Can you get speed 1-3 work if you press in, or go slightly between two speeds? I have only 2 work, have to press in for 1 but it cuts when i release, 3 is at 3.5 and 4 is just past for. Need the wheel of and clean all and adjust the contact piece

Yep it could be that. Mine wasnt touching and when I took the wheel off and had a look the copper strip bit was f:censored:. Just got a heater unit from a scrappys and changed it, pushed the copper bit in the replacement back abit.

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
nah guys it is the resistor mines done it, go to a scapperrs, get one and test it before you buy it though, might be buying one tht is broken with the rain etc.....

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
nah guys it is the resistor mines done it, go to a scapperrs, get one and test it before you buy it though, might be buying one tht is broken with the rain etc.....

could also be the copper bit on the switch though. I had the problem and changed the resistor and it still only worked on 4. Took the knob off on the heater panel and the copper bit was all bent stupid etc so I had to fit a new control unit.

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
heater does not get hot

now my heater does get slightly wam but also you can still feel the cold (even when its on full heat)

i am completly stumped as to why and its bloody freezing!

griff82

Leon Cupra 20v Turbo
Jan 13, 2009
now mine has a funny electical smell and a bit of smoke was coming from under the dash on the passenger side so think it's definatly the resistor............better get a new one

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members