Heating/Recirculation Problem: Fixed, but not under warranty..

Mozz

Hi all,

Right. Bear with me here :)

For the last few months I've had an intermittent problem with the temperature control (3 knob manual) in the car. Every so often, instead of pumping out whatever setting I asked for, it would decide to roast me by putting the hottest air it could through the fans. All the other controls worked fine, but even with the fans off you could feel this hot air coming through. Not so bad in winter, a nightmare in summer (turning on the aircon made no difference either way).
In addition, the recirculation switch was almost completely unresponsive. If it ever did come on, it was for no more than 10 seconds.

So, with a week or so left on my warranty, I finally got round to booking it in to Chesterfield Autoworld. They took the car to inspect the problem (which shows up in VAG-COM as some sort of electrical problem with the temperature control vane motor and the recirculation vane motor IIRC). After waiting around about an hour the guy returns, telling me that the problem is fixed, but that Seat do not cover it under warranty as it is changes to the software parameters (from what they showed me, I'm guessing it was the movement range of the vanes they changed), and not a component that requires replacing, so I'm now short about £40.

The recirculation certainly works, but I won't be too sure of the temperature control for another couple of weeks, it being an intermittent problem.

Anyone had a similar experience of warranty not covering software changes?

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
surely any problem like this if car is still under warranty should 100% be covered thats the point in warranty for factory mistakes!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
the warranty doesn't cover any adjustments

It covers parts and labour only

I couldn't believe it either when I asked them to adjust my handbrake so I kicked up a fuss big time and they did it

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
But warranty is supposed to cover Manufacturing Defects...

If the AC unit is shipped out in a car and doesnt actually do what its told, id call that a defect. At the end of the day - its not wear and tear and its not doing what its supposed to! Unless its got Artificial intelligence, it was there from manufacture! My bet is that because SEAT have some Cr@ppy 3rd year dealer warranty, and theyre trying to worm their way out of it!

Id personally call SEAT UK and take it up with them

Seat Warranty Statement said:
SEAT Warranty
As from January 1st 2002, any new SEAT purchased and registered in the UK from an authorised SEAT dealer is covered by a warranty lasting three years from the date of first registration, or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

24 month manufacturer�s warranty
The 24 month manufacturer's u limited mileage warranty protects your vehicle against the failure of all components due to manufacturing defects, excluding only service and normal wear and tear items.

Third year dealer warranty
The third year SEAT dealer warranty, covering electrical and mechanical items against manufacturing defects, is valid upon:
1) The completion of the manufacturer�s warranty and the vehicle not having covered more than 60,000 miles, and
2) The vehicle being serviced and maintained at an authorised SEAT dealer according to the manufacturer�s recommendations.

Last edited:

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
doesnt cover any ajustmants they are pulling your leg there m8 if you buy a car warranty is to cover any factory faults (ie faulty parts bad parts and any other problems) do you think seat would make an old lady adjust her handbrake on her car!! surely this isnt right!! the warranty should cover every problem unless it has been modifyed or own damage.

id ring seat up and give them a mouth full!!

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Hmm, Autoworld Chesterfield trying not to honour warranty claims. There's a surprise !

When one of my Xenon headlamp bulbs started failing (I had factory HIDS) they said they weren't covered under warranty, even though the handbook says "the bulbs are designed to last the lifetime of the car".
Ended up having to write to Seat to get them done.

Just one example of the poor service I got from Autoworld Chesterfield and their ham-fisted techs, I could go on....

Mozz

Ok, update. It's an improvement, but it's not quite fixed. It's just less intermittent. So, looks like I'll be returning to autoworld. Something tells me this is going to turn into one of those sort of long-running ordeals that makes you wish you'd never bought the f***ing car in the first place [:@]

T. Spark

Ok, update. It's an improvement, but it's not quite fixed. It's just less intermittent. So, looks like I'll be returning to autoworld. Something tells me this is going to turn into one of those sort of long-running ordeals that makes you wish you'd never bought the f***ing car in the first place [:@]

Sorry to hear this matey, I personally would just ring Seat up, tell them to ring Ted J's (best garage out of a bad bunch imo) and get them to fix the damn car!

In the mean time your'll have a new Leon FR to 'test' drive :D

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Just take it back to Autoworld, demand your money back and tell them otherwise youll report them to SEAT UK. Also demand that they test it and get a courtesy car - might speed their asses up.