heavy steering ??

andytaylor1980

Jul 30, 2009
North East (Middlesbrough)
Just wanted to check really, since owning my LCR the steering has always been really stiff and heavy compared to any other car i have drove it doesnt bother me now as im quite used to it but my missus was driving the car yesterday and picked up on this too. Its probably just the racing feel i would assume but just needed a piece of mind.

JamJay

California Bound
The steering on the LCR is quite nicely weighted and feels heavy compared to some other cars but I count that as good, I feel more in control. Don't forget that you are turning two 18" wheels which weighh 10kg each + two tyres which also weight 10kg each.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Higher steering ratio for quicker steering? Fatter tyres with more grip? A generally heavier car than what you've driven before? Higher caster angle? Front wheel drive as opposed to rear wheel drive? I don't know whether any of these apply compared to the other cars you've drove, but they can all make the steering heavier.

My other half's Nissan Almera has steering appropriate to it's 'school run' status. Stupidly light, you can use your pinky to go from lock to lock even while stationary. Whereas my Toledo is reassuringly stiff, and would probably be a bit of a shock to her if she ever drove it.

andytaylor1980

Jul 30, 2009
North East (Middlesbrough)
Higher steering ratio for quicker steering? Fatter tyres with more grip? A generally heavier car than what you've driven before? Higher caster angle? Front wheel drive as opposed to rear wheel drive? I don't know whether any of these apply compared to the other cars you've drove, but they can all make the steering heavier.

My other half's Nissan Almera has steering appropriate to it's 'school run' status. Stupidly light, you can use your pinky to go from lock to lock even while stationary. Whereas my Toledo is reassuringly stiff, and would probably be a bit of a shock to her if she ever drove it.

My last car was a 07 type R before that Golf mk4 GTI turbo, the civic was light as a feather, im not complaining as i said just wanted other members opinions

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
I've just come from a 350Z and noticed that the steering felt a bit heavy in comparison. Wasnt sure if it was normal so it's glad to know it is.

Dont think it's a problem, can just be more eager throwing it into corners!

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
between driving the LCR and the Cupra TDI the LCR is noticeably stiffer at low speeds like parking but generally on the road its really not that different

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
I find mine quite heavier when driving than when parking which to be honest is exactly how I would want it.

Enough power assistance to make it easy to maneuver (which is always good given the poor turning circle!) but nice and weighted when youre on the road, I think you can feel the car more and have more control.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.