Help adding rear door speaker

mathias.leon

I'm about to install speakers in the rear doors of our Leon mk1 Stella. There are no speakers from factory. The tweeters are no problem but the mid/woofers are... I don't really get it how they shold be installed. In the pics below should the plastic foam be cut or teared off? Will there be holes under?

The speakers are Sony XS-HA1727 (http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3267220111.pdf) and comes with speaker adaptors (for VW Golf IV).
Which is the correct alignment?

None of the supplied screws are thick enough to grip in the holes of the adaptor nor long enough to run through the full depth of the adaptor. This puzzzles me.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
Re: The Door Foam...If it's soft enough I would see if you can feel the lip that the foam covers, I assmue that it's only thin foam, so you should be able to cut around the edge (a bit like the foil lid of freeze dried coffee).

As for the speaker adapter I'm not sure...would have to see in the flesh...which in this situ would be a little difficult ;)

I would say that the 3rd pic is probably the right setup.

mathias.leon

Found this pic in an other thread http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1202890&postcount=5

12082006255.jpg

There are no screw holes in the adaptor to make it fit to the door like above and the speaker has no snug fit in the adaptor this way.

Mar 18, 2003
In oncoming traffic
Visit site
ok second pic of spkr on adaptor is right lip is on top, screws drop down through holes in adaptor and screw to car and then you fit speaker to adaptor. in your case you may have to drill 4 holes in door to screw adaptor into. To repeat more clearly screw adaptor to car then fit speaker to adaptor, lip is outward!!

mathias.leon

Haven't had any time. I'm hoping for dry conditions this weekend. I'll let you know what I think of the cheap Sonys.

mathias.leon

I left the foam around the edge as is it seemed to form a watertight seal against the adaptor. There are four pre-drilled holes.

Adaptor in place. Bought another pair which are more sturdy than the Sony ones and that would let the screws grip.

Woofer mounted. I put a ring of silicone on the back of the speaker and also some where the cables come out through the notch. Have had enough of water in the car already... :(
Soldered the cables of course. Please note that black and red aren't mixed up. More about that later. :censored:

This disc covers the hole were the tweeter is supposed to be.

Tweeter with adaptor in place. The adaptor was somewhat too small in both diameter and thickness so it wouldn't snap into place. I used super glue. Looking back I think that it would have been better having used the disc from the previous pic as a mounting base for the tweeter. There are screws and also a self-adhesive pad supplied with the speakers that could have been used. That way the tweeter would be closer to the surface of the interior.
Under the white tape is the capacitor glued (the only crossover in this kit, woofer isn't filtered). A perfect place for it.

Foolishly I trusted the wiring in the Leon to be correct and put the door panels in place. Turned out the rear speakers were in wrong phase compared to the front. Couldn't be arsed to remove the door panels again, I cut the cables to the ISO contact from the head unit and switched phase there. Damn annoying.:banghead2 Don't know if the wiring to the rear doors are wrong or if the original front door speaker are connected wrong. Anyway, I recommend a phase check and not just a quick sound check.

On to a short review of Sony XS-HA1727:

Mechanical: The woofer can't be mounted in the adaptor as the screws are to small/holes to big. Tweeter won't snap into place in the door panel as supposed due to the adaptor being too small. Otherwise standard quality.

Sound: Haven't played more than a few hours which really is too soon get a fair impression. But still I'm confident that they aren't better than the original factory fitted speakers. A bit sharper than the originals in the high tones and lacks some in the mid. Possibly are the tweeters smaller as the piano sounds more from the woofers than it does on the original system. Same with voices. The original speakers sound more homogeneous. The Sony woofers have more midbass punch but less depth. The Sony system sounds to be less sensitive and also less pleasing when played quite loud.

Over all Sony XS-HA1727 aren't as good as my six years old original system as can be expected for about 70€. I can recommend them in the back doors only if the back seat isn't populated too often.

Head unit was a Panasonic CQ-C1311NW.

mathias.leon

I'd like to add a tip on how to remove the manual window handles. Just slide the inner ring in the opposite direction of the knob. Took me quite a while to figure this out. :think:;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.