help before i torch the bloody thing! UPDATE

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
morning all,

brain picking time:D had the bitch serviced last week as due,anyway got her back thurdsay with half a tank still in her,drove her around a bit,she did feel a bit like she had a stutter like slight fuel starvation,minor flat spots. no major distances driven though, watched the fuel gauge dropping as i was driving along:( friday i did a 10mile drive and the petrol light came on,chucked a tenner in as convinced there was a leak yet couldn't see or smell anything when she was running but still the needle was dropping merrily! started her up saturday and discovered a slightly loose pipe,popped it back in and leak didn't seem to recur however this morning had 1/4 tank when i left home drove apx 10miles again with needle dropping and on came petrol light again:censored:

needle doesn't seem to move when she's stationary and ticking over at 900 as normal,someone suggested this morning my cat may be fubar'ed,i'm going to ring the garage in a min that did the work as it all seems a little coincidental to me that she was fine when she went in yet crap when she came out. any suggestions would be greatly welcomed before i burn her:cry:

Last edited:

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
Deffo take it back to the garage.

Does the exhaust smell of petrol?

can't smell anything,had my head under back end this morning on the tank side and nothing noted but i think i'd just turned her off at that point. will have a look when i go back out to her later,if it does does that indicate naffed cat? the loose pipe i think was only losing minimal amount but obviously that was staionary so no pressure from my slightly heavy right foot;)

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
just rang the garage,they say they didn't change the fuel filter as the one on there looked ok,funny cos i got billed for it i'm sure,oh we'll have to reimburse you for that as it shouldn't have been on there.....oh really!! said oh we didn't change anything that should've affected the fuel consumption but you did say she was drinking more before! yes i did but not like that,arrrgh,anyway they want her back in on thursday so if i've got something to chuck at them it may be helpful. they did all the work on her last year,pedalbox,coilies,cambelt service etc with no issues so i have no reason to normally question the work....

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
A clogged cat can increase fuel consumption, but it's not the only cause of poor mpg. Being down on power can also be a symptom of a clogged cat.

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
dont torch it, it wont be worth the heartache

grin and bear it and enjoy the golf :)

i intend to Chris,if i ever get those barsteward locking nuts off as i'm not doing anything further until the rear arches are off and i can see if any horrors lurk behind them! :)
hope yours is going well:D

Chrisdaman

1 gearbox dead, any more?
Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
the golf is awesome at the moment, changed the alternator and it's running sweet right now, new battery needed as it's using the one out of the ibiza at the moment. but cant complain for £300

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
nope you can't,mine needs new engine mounts and a fair bit of stuff but that will all be dealt with when i've decided what i'm doing engine wise ;)

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
mine needed an engine bracket the day i bought it :lol: it gave out and ended up cracking the oil filter to :cry:

oh well, old cars eh, loving the 8v noise though

mine's got what appears to be a full scorpion system on so no nice burble as i like more an in ya face growl!! but hey still can't beat the mk2's:D but i didn't say that in case my stroppy green one is listening,well i did say mk2's that surely includes her;)

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Mines growling like a bear with a sore head sucking a wasp at the moment, went to pop up the Post Office this morning and the bleddy exhuast has decided to slip its collar right up at the cat end. ( so jumped in the Mk4 instead )
:(
ah well.. looks like i has something to do this afternoon now

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
oh,is it mk2 biza epidemic week? maybe mine has swine flu? well the parents do live right in the area of the latest outbreak,maybe i should give her some tamiflu or a battering with a sledgehammer! :)

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
right,came out of work earlier started her up and stuck my nose up the exhaust,not that i needed to,it stinks of pure petrol so she's obviously not burning it :censored: spoke to my mate who suggested possible lambda sensor blah blah,by the way she flew through her emissions at mot time 2wks ago so would this not have been a bit iffy if the cat was failing?? verdicts please

also, am wondering if it is a sensor issue is there any chance it could have been damaged at the garage? because of her lowness and the entrance into the workshop where the ramps are being on quite a severe dip for her to take i was told they spent an hour trying and then gave up and put her up on axle stands..could they have whacked the sensor or something on the concrete decline? as said she was fine when i dropped her off on tuesday,fooked when i picked her up thursday,m i wrong to suggest something must've happened on site?

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
If I was you , I would have a tendancy to kick off and see what they do tbh.. last thing a business needs is someone ranting on their premises when its full of prospective customers
:D
oh, and as for the sledgehammer.. damn car got the whelping of its life today..exhaust had come adrift at the join between the rear of the cat and the centre box. bloody collar on it would not shift try as I might. ended up persuading it off with a lump hammer then cutting the bolt with a hacksaw. new bolt needed, but in the meantime, Ive shored it up with a standard U clamp.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
right,came out of work earlier started her up and stuck my nose up the exhaust,not that i needed to,it stinks of pure petrol so she's obviously not burning it :censored: spoke to my mate who suggested possible lambda sensor blah blah,by the way she flew through her emissions at mot time 2wks ago so would this not have been a bit iffy if the cat was failing?? verdicts please

also, am wondering if it is a sensor issue is there any chance it could have been damaged at the garage? because of her lowness and the entrance into the workshop where the ramps are being on quite a severe dip for her to take i was told they spent an hour trying and then gave up and put her up on axle stands..could they have whacked the sensor or something on the concrete decline? as said she was fine when i dropped her off on tuesday,fooked when i picked her up thursday,m i wrong to suggest something must've happened on site?

Cat and lambda could've took a knock thats about it i believe

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
Morning Kids,

she's gone into the garage this morn and had the diagnostics run on her,has apparently come up with a Lambda fault(what i was expecting tbh) however matey says he's found 3 leaky pipes(all vacuum ones i believe),one split beneath the braiding,one thick one to left hand side? and an inlet pipe missing a cap. he thinks because of these leaks it's confusing her into thinking she needs more juice,so has sorted them out and has said to take her for a good blast etc and see what she does and to take her back in a couple of weeks if i'm not bankrupt beforehand and he'll re-run the diagnostics. apologised profusely for not picking up on it last week. does this sound like a feasible reason for the issues?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise