Help choosing between V2 & VZ1

Sep 16, 2022
Hi all, I’m new here and looking to order a Formentor soonish - looking for some advice please!

I am undecided between the V2 & VZ1 options for a number of reasons, here are my thoughts:

V2: Better MPG, Cheaper, I’m worried 150ps will not be enough power

VZ1: Quite a bit more expensive (around 60-70 p/m), More powerful, Less MPG, No leather seats (preferable to me)

I am due to test drive a 150ps engine today which may help with my doubts, however NOWHERE within 2 hours of me has a 245ps petrol engine to test drive. Has anyone driven both for a comparison to help me choose? I currently drive a 95ps Polo, so both will be an upgrade - just want to know if the couple of MPG less and the £60+ per month extra are worth it for the extra power!

I’m not too keen on Leather seats usually, so that would be another plus to me for the VZ1 - but I’m unsure if paying that much more for no leather is stupid? I don’t like the regular seats in the V1 either, prefer the look of the bucket.

Am I correct in assuming the VZ1 has the actual exhausts whereas the V2 does not?

Sorry for the long winded post - Appreciate any help :)

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Does anyone know how much JB4 tuning box gives extra power?
about 45hp according to the manufacturer

May 30, 2022
about 45hp according to the manufacturer

I guess for our version we wod be looking at the 2.0 TSi. JB4

Sep 16, 2022
Drove the 150 ps yesterday and wasn’t impressed at all. Managed to drive a 245ps engine (albeit not in a Formentor) to get an idea of what it would be like - much preffered the extra power.

Now to look at deals!

jimbobc

May 6, 2021
I just picked up a V2 190 the reason I got this was the match of spec inc leather and engine performance. Seems to go really well 100 miles in

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
Either I've got the wrong engine fitted or I'm in a minority thinking the 1.5 is fast enough!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Either I've got the wrong engine fitted or I'm in a minority thinking the 1.5 is fast enough!
I think it’s all relative Andy and will depend to some degree on what you’ve been used to driving.

Having said that, my VW Polo GTI+ has a 2.0 200ps petrol engine and when I had a VW T-Roc with a 1.5 engine as a courtesy car (I think it it was 150ps), I didn’t feel it was underpowered.

Mikeyh22

Oct 18, 2014
Bolton
I’ve got the previous version (1.4) in my mk3.5 Leon and I don’t often get left at the lights 😂. My Formentor is coming in a couple of weeks and I ordered the 1.5 version based on being happy with my Leon. I test drove a Formentor before ordering and I was happy with the performance.

imran999

Mar 20, 2022
I initially was going for the 190hp but after test driving the 1.5, i was fairly happy with the performance. With booming petrol prices i am rarely putting the foot down all the time and the 1.5 was brisk enough. My last 4 cars have all been 2 litres, bhp ranging from 300 to 180bhp.

You will be happy with the 1.5, if your wanting to save some pennies.

May 30, 2022
I initially had my sights on the vz2/vz3 version not sure which one it was with 310hp. But when the dealer mentioned the waiting period of a year at that time. I asked if they had anything from the displays available and unfortunately all reserved :( Dealer offered me what they had being built at that time that was not reserved. There was one 190ps 4WD, and 4 150PS 1,5TSI versions. I picked the 2.0TSI 190PS 4WD, with a waiting period of 4 months so I was like as long as it has 4WD, I am ok with it.

So, far the car has been great, this engine is more than enough for every day driving. But I do have some mods in my mind I will want to put on in the near future. Of course most annoying issues are with the software I am running A986, so waiting until the 1989 rolls up.

Korefan

Jun 10, 2022
Latvia
Pick 310hp.
It is really good and if you are keeping revs > 2k - it is economical. Like 10-11l/100km.
And you will always has enough power under your foot.
And! you will be able to punish bmw drivers :D

Wimmy

Apr 10, 2022
I had exactly the same predicament back in April. Everywhere had the 150 but nowhere had a 245. I test drove a 150 and was VERY underwhelmed (coming from a TT). I ordered a VZ1 245 without test driving as figures were similar to my TT. Leather and electric seats would have been nice but the VZ1 also had a few extras that the V2 didn’t.
Picked it up last Fri. Still playing nice for the first 600/1000 miles but a trip to Nottingham and back got me well on the way. Feels a LOT better than the 150 and comparable to the TT speed. It’s a lot bigger and feels more solid. Can’t wait to give it a proper go in Cupra mode

pocco87

Sep 20, 2022
What sort of MPG are people getting out of the 245 TSI?

How is the acceleration when overtaking on the 150 on dual carriageways/motorways?

Wimmy

Apr 10, 2022
What sort of MPG are people getting out of the 245 TSI?

How is the acceleration when overtaking on the 150 on dual carriageways/motorways?
On my 245 I'm getting 33.6 mpg since brand new over 370 miles. This has been driven conservatively but also on a new engine which is usually a little thirstier. Since last refuel I have managed 36.7mpg over the last 54 miles and had a few tempting moments just to push that pedal a little further :)

Reactions: pocco87

pocco87

Sep 20, 2022
On my 245 I'm getting 33.6 mpg since brand new over 370 miles. This has been driven conservatively but also on a new engine which is usually a little thirstier. Since last refuel I have managed 36.7mpg over the last 54 miles and had a few tempting moments just to push that pedal a little further :)
Thanks Wimmy,

I've currently ordered a V2 150 DSG with Beats, XL Safety System, Virtual Pedal. Whilst it felt nippy on the test drive and pulling away, as I go on Dual carriageways at least twice a week and a trip on the motorway once a month I'm debating if I've done the right decision and got enough power when over taking and keen to understand what the MPG figures are at cruising speed which you've helped with. I know sport mode felt good around town and punchy and what not on the 150 so keen to see the figures of both when at 70mph+ from people.

I'm currently in a 13 year old Astra 1.6 as a temporary stop gap as I sold my Audi A6 204TDI to minimise loss/servicing/wear and tear until my Formentor arrives and that has very little oomph when over taking which is why I think it's making me question if I've done the right thing.... Difference for me on V2 to VZ2 is £48 extra a month.... hence been reading the threads and the internet for all reviews....

Wimmy

Apr 10, 2022
Thanks Wimmy,

I've currently ordered a V2 150 DSG with Beats, XL Safety System, Virtual Pedal. Whilst it felt nippy on the test drive and pulling away, as I go on Dual carriageways at least twice a week and a trip on the motorway once a month I'm debating if I've done the right decision and got enough power when over taking and keen to understand what the MPG figures are at cruising speed which you've helped with. I know sport mode felt good around town and punchy and what not on the 150 so keen to see the figures of both when at 70mph+ from people.

I'm currently in a 13 year old Astra 1.6 as a temporary stop gap as I sold my Audi A6 204TDI to minimise loss/servicing/wear and tear until my Formentor arrives and that has very little oomph when over taking which is why I think it's making me question if I've done the right thing.... Difference for me on V2 to VZ2 is £48 extra a month.... hence been reading the threads and the internet for all reviews....
Why not go VZ1 245? Will be similar price to the V2 (Hence this post)

pocco87

Sep 20, 2022
Why not go VZ1 245? Will be similar price to the V2 (Hence this post)
This is my dilemma, I don't necessary want to feel I'm always at the petrol station but if the mpg figures aren't too dissimilar then I've got to make a decision before 2nd October as they're price increases expected after this...

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
Theres no way in the real world a 245 is going to be the same mpg as a 150.
You've got to buy the 245 because you want it! :cool:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.