Help me pick parts to pass my strict German inspection (TüV)

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
You guys think MOT is hard? Try Germany... or better yet switzerland... in swiss 1 small piece of rust showing and its an instant fail on inspection.

Anyways my buddy who owns a shop looked over my car and gave me a list of everything I need to do to get it to pass our every 2 year TüV inspection here in the FATHERLAND...:seatgod:

anyways im dropping the list here as I need some help.

I'm torn between just doing the absolute bare minimum price wise and just get the car registered and finally on the road, then do the upgrades later as I want them. Or to just drop the dough right now and do the upgrades the first time around.

what needs to be taken care of...

Rear shock absorbers
Remove all rust with wire brush and paint black
Rear sway bar
Rear sway bar links
weld holes closed in muffler
front left axle boot
all 4 brake discs and calipers and pads
serpentine belt
back right tire has dime sized chunk out of sidewall
degrease and clean entire engine bay over and under (no oil leaks)

So for the simple things i have already decided
replace axle boot
double v groove serpentine belt
found a used oem muffler 30 euros shipped
(install oem wheels with winter tires) rather than buying new summer 16" tire
clean engine bay with engine degreaser and pressure washer
removing all rusted bits with many wire brushes , acetone, and paint.... god help me its alot of rust....

Now comes decision time

1. Replace rear shocks just with the generic 50 euro shocks then decide later on a pair of coils or shock/spring combo, buy bilstein b6 shocks 180 euro as replacement, or buy a set of budget coilovers 400 euro budget AP's, pick up a set of used H&R double tube coils for 450 euros. (then id have to buy a new s3 style front sway bar as well due to the stock one hitting on the axles).

2. Replace Rear sway bar with stock 15mm for 30 euros and sway bar links new 30 euros for the pair. Or buy an upgraded set for front and rear links and bars... brand recommendation?

3. All 4 brakes... okay first off the brakes work just fine no warping or anything, just alot of surface rust on calipers and discs. Should I uninstall them and clean them up with a wire brush as well and reinstall them? buy new stock brake pads rotors and calipers (288mm front and 256mm rear) or.... buy the Cupra R brake calipers and brackets for 300 quid and buy new discs along with new discs and calipers and pads for the rears. (my rear calipers and discs are 256mm i believe same as cupra R or?)

by going to the larger cupra R front brakes I will have to buy larger wheels and tires as well just find some used 18x8.5 wheels for 4 to 500 with decent tread on them.

as you can see the price differs greatly... by doing the bare minimum I will spend no more than 350 euros even with new oem brake kit.

With doing all the upgrades and to make everything fit right itll be right around 1300-1500 euros.... oh boy oh boy...

help a brother out what would you guys do?

bare minimum, get car on the road, and collect upgrades to do all at once...

stop being a vagina and drop the dough and do it because racecar.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I'd upgrade anything you have to spend money to fix and clean up anything that would pass. Eg for the suspension, your going to lose money even if you buy the cheap coilovers and sell them used. So you might as well get the set you want from the start. Then with the brakes, they work, for now take them off, clean them up and put them back. Surely that will find a middle ground on price.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Any recommendations then on coils? Something good bang for buck. Anyone know ones that are decently comfortable? I'd rather give up a small amount of handling for comfort, as my baby and the wifey will also be riding and driving the car.

Oh and some decently cheap sway bars

lightup

May 27, 2019
same, i would either reuse now or upgrade to what you want.
1 stock swaybar hitting axles ?
2. i would look for swaybar of a r32 or something. those are 21 and 19mm i believe.
3. just reuse them untill you get good ones, and yeah the rear is the same as a cupra R

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Any recommendations then on coils? Something good bang for buck.

I'm running Eibach pro-street s. Not cheap though. But I bought them for the extra comfort of the progressive spring rate. Or... get the Bilstein B6 shocks and Pro Kit springs to go with them.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
same, i would either reuse now or upgrade to what you want.
1 stock swaybar hitting axles ?
2. i would look for swaybar of a r32 or something. those are 21 and 19mm i believe.
3. just reuse them untill you get good ones, and yeah the rear is the same as a cupra R
The front sway goes under the axle but the S3 style one loops over the axle which you need when lowering the car a decent amount. I'll check it out, I found 16mm Audi TT one. Cool good to know about the brake sizes.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
I'm running Eibach pro-street s. Not cheap though. But I bought them for the extra comfort of the progressive spring rate. Or... get the Bilstein B6 shocks and Pro Kit springs to go with them.
Springs and shocks are great for comfort but I've seen in auto x the differences between coils and shocks

lightup

May 27, 2019
The front sway goes under the axle but the S3 style one loops over the axle which you need when lowering the car a decent amount. I'll check it out, I found 16mm Audi TT one. Cool good to know about the brake sizes.

16 mm is what you got on it allready.