HID problem... God sake lol

llebrevilo

Right got abit of an issue hoping it's easy but any help welcome. I got some HID about 3 weeks ago and been working ok but the passenger light when you turn the lights on would cone on then go straight off. Now it won't come on At all and it's failed it's MOT because of it, the guy is just going to put some standard ones in to pass it. I have checked the ballasts and swapped them over and they work ok. Hoping it's just the light that's blown but I can't see it has or is it something more... Has anyone else had this problem? The MOT guy said he fiddled around with it to work but it didn't? Any ideas other than change the bulb???

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Had mine on for 2 days and one of the ballast blew, it wasnt a cheap set either - see if the provider has a warrenty on the product you bought from them. If not you can buy bulbs off ebay.

Daymo

Low and Slow..
Jul 22, 2008
Scarborough/Sheffield
try putting a bigger fuse in, the stabdard fuses are only 7.5amp and usually prohibit the ballast from taking the initial surge of power to create the arc of light. i put a 15 amp in mine, bt in my other set put a 30 amp because i had no others lying around. sorted it out straight away. hope that helps :)

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
i have hids and the standard fuses, never had an issue and neither have 95% of people on here.

mark300zx has something going on and was advised against a bigger fuse. find the reason why it fails, not bodge fix.
easiest thing is to change the bulbs -> if follows then easy cheap fix
if ballast, do as mj suggests -> but check all wiring first

if when on and radio has interference, it may be worth looking at a mod lee69 had to apply. may resolve, but cheap if not.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
If the ballasts were swapped over, surely that points to a dodgy bulb?

As above don't increase the fuse mine have worked for years in cars with the standard fuse.

Daymo

Low and Slow..
Jul 22, 2008
Scarborough/Sheffield
a fuse is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new set of bulbs, as you know with seats build quality they aren't exaclty the best, so just pop a different fuse in, and if it still doesnt work then you know its the bulb, it takes five minutrs to do and you can just quickly use one from another fuse. simples.... it worked with me and i thought my HID kit was foobared.

llebrevilo

All good ideas but I'm thinking dogdy buld so I'll change that and look at the fuses too as that makes good sense to change with the increase in power being pulled. Fingers crossed it's any easy fix will annoy me if I have to go back to the manufacturer I'll keep you posted with my fix, you never know it could happen to anyone. Back for it's re-test today, hope it passes. Cheers guys

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members