HID Problem

Jul 10, 2001
Bedfordshire
Visit site
Ok, I've just spent the morning fitting my HID's, all tucked away nicely underneath the head lights, but when turn them on, the drivers side is blowing the 7.5A fuse under my dash. The passenger one is fine, any one had a similar problem, there's no point me replacing the fuse like-for-like as it will just blow again.

The only other thing this fuse controls is the headlamp adjuster (according to the handbook) so could i get away with putting in say a 10A? Obviously the fuse ratings are there for a reason but as nothing else is using this fuse i thought i could move to the next size up? :shrug:

Any advice?

Last edited:

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
Didnt have any problems with mine mate, you could try swapping the ballasts to rule out a faulty / problematic one.
Then its down to each section of wiring.

Jul 10, 2001
Bedfordshire
Visit site
Yeah I've swapped them over Tom and it does look like a faulty ballast, I've emailed the company to try and find out how i get a replacement. But as a short term measure can i change the fuses?

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
No dont just stick a 20AMP in just to get by, theres obviously a fault and the lighting circuit is rated to 7.5amps for a reason, best thing to do is just put the old bulbs back in for the time being.

Jul 10, 2001
Bedfordshire
Visit site
Well there is definately a fault with one of the ballasts, i've swapped them over and now the fault has movd across.

Hopefully i'll be able to get a replacement from the manufacturer

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members