HID'S Flickering

churcherj

2006 Golf GTI K04
Jun 16, 2009
Southampton
Just got my HIDS from diane-shop today 600k h7. all wired up correct and they just flicker for about a second when i turn the lights on, then just go off! have swapped around all the ballasts and bulbs etc still doing it! could it be the volts or battery power? I have an fr tdi and the battery seems ok. Anyone else had this problem? not sure what to do? any help would be appreciated. Thanks

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Just got my HIDS from diane-shop today 600k h7. all wired up correct and they just flicker for about a second when i turn the lights on, then just go off! have swapped around all the ballasts and bulbs etc still doing it! could it be the volts or battery power? I have an fr tdi and the battery seems ok. Anyone else had this problem? not sure what to do? any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Make sure the spade connectors on the ballast's are a good tight fit in the OEM headlight connector.

HID needs a good amount of current to start up.

churcherj

2006 Golf GTI K04
Jun 16, 2009
Southampton
cheers deano

have secured them as tight as possible and have checked all the connections seem to all be ok! just flickers and makes a noise but the bulb doesnt ignite! really frustrating me now! lol u have this problem?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
cheers deano

have secured them as tight as possible and have checked all the connections seem to all be ok! just flickers and makes a noise but the bulb doesnt ignite! really frustrating me now! lol u have this problem?

I had this problem when I fitted HID to my honda blackbird - just flickered then went off.
Crimped the OEM connector slightly so that the HID ballast spade connectors were nice and tight - problem solved.

Make sure that you have positive and negative the correct way around.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
ok no probs will give that a go tomorrow! if that doesnt fix it, i really dont know what it could be! thanks

Do you have a spare 12v battery to test them on out of the car ?

I tested mine first on a 12v battery so i knew they worked before they were put in the bike.

Thats how I knew it was something to do with the wiring.

churcherj

2006 Golf GTI K04
Jun 16, 2009
Southampton
No i dont unfortunately, i have tried both of the bulbs and ballasts and both do the same thing, like flicker and make a noise then go off. Seems like its not getting the power or sumin! highley unlikely its both of the bulbs and ballasts that are dodgey seeming as its brand new :S. Not sure what else to do apart from wedge in the spade connections tight and check everything is connected properley. It took 4 weeks to arvive which is bad enough and now i have it they dont work! just my luck lol

B18OGY

Aug 28, 2009
I had a similar problem with my VW Passat, turned out the connectors were not insulated properly, allowing the connectors to 'ark', making a buzzing noise when switched on. I insulated them with electrical tape, worked fine after that.

churcherj

2006 Golf GTI K04
Jun 16, 2009
Southampton
i only just got them yesterday from diane-shop 18 month warranty. both of the ballasts and bulbs do it even if i switch them over, seems highly unlikely it could be the ballasts but im no expert lol.

churcherj

2006 Golf GTI K04
Jun 16, 2009
Southampton
think i need to buy a relay harness as my battery isnt drawing enough power to the ballasts to ignite the bulbs! will get one and let you know if its fixed! cheers for the help lads

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Have you checked the voltage across your battery? I don`t think a harness will help if the voltage is`nt right in the first place.
Do your hid`s fail when the engine is running or off? or both?
Battery voltage should be ~12v engine off, and ~14v engine running.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members