Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
Vin,

From what I've read a BOV usually doesn't work, and will throw CEL on. However, some people have run this type of valve with no issues.

It reads like it's luck of the draw :confused:

Follow up thought - I "think" RobDon has run the HKS unit before??!

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
You can run full-atmos BOV on your car, but it's a case of when not if the CEL comes on

There's a good write-up on one of the INA posts I think about the technical reasons why it's a bad idea - will try and search it out soon :)

Vin-R

Oct 2, 2008
Midlands
ahaa thanks Tom nice one. had a feeling it was something like that, so many abbreviations... had the same on th GOLF MK 4 forum i was on...

and cheers Dan... that would be great... it does sound good on the Leon... but that link that someones posted further up this thread really made me think twice about atmospheric valves... its not so much immediate damage... but long term ... oooooo not good ... check it out...

Murdered LCR

Wide mouthed mofo
Sep 9, 2006
Murder Inc.
yer i did read the long term affects but it wont harm it to run it for a few test runs .... my old man wont mind me borrowing it i kinda blew the turbo up on the p1 lol so its just sittng there at the min

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I and many others have run the HKS with no issues at all for a long time - i.e. plugs normal, A/F ratio normal and fuel trims within factory parameters. I ran one for about a year. Just about every EVO and Scooby out there runs a BOV, and they have airflow meters!

These days I'm currently running a twin-piston Collins BOV, again with no issues at all. I keep an eye on my fuel trims and they haven't changed at all since running the Collins, the effects of a BOV are nowhere near as bad as people make out, it won't kill your car!

That said recirculating DV is the factory intended way to run.

Vin-R

Oct 2, 2008
Midlands
hey dan, any luck with the valve??? hey RobDon, so are u saying that i wont have any issues with the valve??? no performance issues etc?? where can i get one from ?? would i get better results from a 007 forge dv ??

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Every car reacts differently, what I'm saying is that to run one you have to keep an eye on your fuelling, A/F ratios, etc. as you may have to adjust things to run properly.

Best results with a 007P yes, although obviously it will be quiet with little dump noise, but my car definately runs smoother with a DV rather than a BOV, when the BOV slams shut it does make the car jerk.

Last edited:

Vin-R

Oct 2, 2008
Midlands
ah cool, thanks for that Rob nice one ... 007p it is then, i had them on previous golfs and i did notice they help keep the boost up on gear change ...

Murdered LCR

Wide mouthed mofo
Sep 9, 2006
Murder Inc.
I ran one for a good few months and had no problems it went into limp mode once so I adjusted the screw spring at the back of the bov and it ran fine it does bring up a fault code as you have to block the tip side of the dv off think there are some vids in my thread above

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members