Hmm, need some expert advice! - 1.6 16v Clutch

didsi

I Want an LCR!
Aug 25, 2006
Hi,
I wasnt happy with my leon 1.6 sx, it felt less powerful than usual and not as responsive. so i had a service today at nationwide (nearly due anyway) and asked them to check clutch. they said they can make it slip and its got about a month left (driving style depending).
So i had a look round the forums and done some clutch slipping tests! i tried the 4th gear accelerate but all seemed fine, however bearing in mind not much torque on a 1.6!
Then i tried holding the brake and letting clutch out in 1st, car stalled with no fight and no thud!
so im no wiser!
How likely do you think it is that the clutch is going at 53000 miles, and how likely that flywheel going aswell? if flywheel aswell then i think its time to look for a cupra! lol

Last edited by a moderator:

didsi

I Want an LCR!
Aug 25, 2006
Thats what i thought but wondered why it feels less responsive! even after a service

didsi

I Want an LCR!
Aug 25, 2006
usual: air filter, oil, spark plugs etc

looking back it was a bit hasty getting a service! but i hate owt been wrong! and with a 1.6 i need everything perfect to get a decent drive!!!

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Did you get it serviced by the same people who sais the clutch was nackerd.

To test the clutch put it 4 gear put hand brake ON and let the clutch up if it stalls the clutch is fine.

lil3520

IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08
Nov 26, 2006
ALCESTER, WARWICKSHIRE
I have a LEON 1.6 SX 53 reg.

I have a PIPERCROSS PANEL FILTER, do you have a standard panel filter ?

had a cambelt change at 60,000 miles plus service and new sparkplugs. now done 63,000 miles still on the original clutch.

didsi

I Want an LCR!
Aug 25, 2006
tried the 4th gear test and yes it stalled!
standard filter but cant decide on flat penel pipercross or induction kit.
should have waited a bit longer for service really, feel like ive wasted money!

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
If it stalled i would say the clutch is fine

Did they change the fuel fillter
Have you changed fuel types rencentley

Might be worth trying an injecter cleaner (i dont know how this will affect your engine might be worth waiting for other opinions)

lil3520

IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08
Nov 26, 2006
ALCESTER, WARWICKSHIRE
happy with my pipercross panel filter, noticed a difference in performance not sound [shame].

at what revs do you change gear ?

4/5,000 revs i change gear at !!!!!!!!!!!

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
happy with my pipercross panel filter, noticed a difference in performance not sound [shame].

at what revs do you change gear ?

4/5,000 revs i change gear at !!!!!!!!!!!

If you want more noise try drilling the bottom of the airbox it will give an induction roar, while your at it you might aswell smooth it out and add a bigger feed pipe and best of all it will only cost is the price of the feed pipe

didsi

I Want an LCR!
Aug 25, 2006
depends! normal driving seems fine, sometimes get a bit of judder setting off but put that down to not enough revs! we wont talk about what revs i go up to when booting it! lol

andy661

I have a leon S 1.6(2001) with 117,891:-o on the clock and its still on the original clutch... no sign of giving up the fight yet...

Andy

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
Nationwide again! :headhurt:

Do a search on google for 'Apple' and 'Stop and Steer' these are the names of previous names of good old 'Nationwide'.

They pay peanuts to get monkeys working for them!

Wait for the clutch to start slipping then replace.

didsi

I Want an LCR!
Aug 25, 2006
Thanx guys for all the advice, gonna get a friend to check it next week. i dont like driving the car when something seems wrong, i always feel like im thinking about it!

Benny

Jun 17, 2007
Bradford
Hi,
I wasnt happy with my leon 1.6 sx, it felt less powerful than usual and not as responsive. so i had a service today at nationwide (nearly due anyway) and asked them to check clutch. they said they can make it slip and its got about a month left (driving style depending).
So i had a look round the forums and done some clutch slipping tests! i tried the 4th gear accelerate but all seemed fine, however bearing in mind not much torque on a 1.6!
Then i tried holding the brake and letting clutch out in 1st, car stalled with no fight and no thud!
so im no wiser!
How likely do you think it is that the clutch is going at 53000 miles, and how likely that flywheel going aswell? if flywheel aswell then i think its time to look for a cupra! lol

53000 miles? mines done 97000 miles on original clutch! cambelt was changed at 73k and oil every 2k since i got it at 88k.

My clutch is still going strong :)

Romeoisgraham

Mr Harris
Aug 14, 2007
On the run
public.fotki.com
You done the right thing getting a service, better safe than sorry. your clutch seems fine to me so best wait till it slips, start saving for a new clutch tho !!!

For the lack of response with the car try using injector cleaner or a fuel addative like red ex

It wont harm your engine but will clean your fuel tank, fuel, fuel lines, injectors, and help break down any oily deposits in your filter.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members