How do you fit a Fabia rear wiper!?!?

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Wipers can be a real pain in the arse to get off. I just gave it a good pull, wiggling at the same time. Get some WD40 and soak it for a good couple of hours, then try again.

heatfan8

Insert witty comment here
Dec 2, 2008
Berkshire
I used a pry bar off my hand!

Or you can buy a 'puller' which is a three legged tool. You put the three legs under the wiper arm and there is a threaded bolt which you screw down onto the bolt that the wiper attaches to.

They are fairly inexpensive from ebay, but you would have to wait for it to arrive!

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Mine just fell off after undoing the nut? I did the changeover in the car park of the place i bought it from!! Literally took 5 mins!!

Jimski

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Ah good old rain, does the trick every time ;) Glad you got it off. yeah the nut needs to be fairly tight. I just did it as tight as I could by hand with a spanner.

Have you tried the rain-x stuff? It works very well with the aero wipers. The rain just beads and rolls off the screen, you hardly even need the wipers once up to speed too.

Deleted member 20376

Ironically, I just went out for one last go, it had been raining a little bit after being dry all day, and it came straight off in my hand, pretty much. So the best way to get your wipers off your car is in the rain, apparently...explains why my Mk4 Golf ones packed in in a downpour, they were probably trying to jump off the car!

So Fabia wiper now fitted, Valeo retrofit-aero front wiper blades fitted, I should be 100% more stylish now, and about 1000% more visibility in the rain! Just need to keep an eye on the rear wiper, make sure I've done the nut back up tight enough, I assume it's supposed to be on pretty tight as there was a fair bit of resistance when I took it off this morning to try and get the old wiper arm off?

i had the same problem getting mine off, tried loads of things then found that if you wiggle it a certain way it comes off. bloody thing took me ages :blink:

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
i've got rain-x on my car and it works a treat. i got the screen additive too which prolongs the life of rain-x. the additive was about £8 from halfrauds but i got it from a car booty for £2, bargain!

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
trade card :)

cot the rainex kit a few weeks back , the interier wipes with it are pants , says anti smear , b00llocks

the rainex is good tho

also about 2 weeks ago , work gave me the halfrauds version for free , (safety conscious company )
shame id already bought the rainx before that - nevermind

also bought the halfrauds intense glass cutter to put on first ,

my wiper came off easy , fabia one straight back on , also have the aero retro fronts

heatfan8

Dec 2, 2008
Berkshire
I have the bosch ones and there the dogs

And the wiper has a taper on it so it is designed to tighten up even more when you put the nut on. Think you will find that most wipers are the same!

paul6316

White K1
Oct 16, 2007
I did mine at the weekend and the nut came off easy but the wiper arm was stuck so I just prised it off with a screwdriver nice and gently. Fitted the new fabia one in less than five minutes and it works a treat, no more juddering or smearing. It's the best £20 I've spent!!!

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
i bought my retro blades off a seller on ebay , paid a £10 for the pair , works good altho box is a little noticable, i dont even notice them anymore , such a vast difference to std its wirth the change

Deleted member 20376

i got the retrofit from a local car parts place. they were about £20 for the set. they been pretty good just starting to streak abit but i have had um on about a year. these just click on to your original wiper arm with a plastic clip no box of bolt thing.

gav_FR

Loud pipes save lives!
I've heard about Rain-X but not tried it. Might be worth a go, although doesn't it need re-applying every week or so in poor conditions (such as now)?

I've been using Rain-X for the past three years or so and I would never not use it now. The difference in horrible wet conditions on motorways etc is amazing, and as already mentioned you hardly need to use the wipers. You only need to re-apply it about once a month or so in poor conditions. It also makes de-icing the car easier on frosty mornings :)

With regards to getting the rear wiper off if anyone else has any trouble, I used a screwdriver under the arm against the boot lid to lever it off, just wrap it in a rag so it doesn't scratch the paintwork and be careful not to slip and scratch any paint or break the glass!

PSX

Sep 20, 2009
Two cents for wiper removal (did this recently):

I'd recommend against WD-40 - if the metal of the spindle wears down too much, you won't be wanting the arm to skip a peg when the wipers are under load! Instead apply heat from a heat gun (under £30) to the wiper arm, or maybe a hairdryer would do the trick. Obviously then use gloves to remove.

Alex

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
Two cents for wiper removal (did this recently):

I'd recommend against WD-40 - if the metal of the spindle wears down too much, you won't be wanting the arm to skip a peg when the wipers are under load! Instead apply heat from a heat gun (under £30) to the wiper arm, or maybe a hairdryer would do the trick. Obviously then use gloves to remove.

Alex

Hair dryer at the most!, Heatgun to the rear spindle DIRECTLY above the rear window is a spell for disaster, It will crack !

As long as you clean off the WD40 you'll be fine :) Misconception that its a lubricant, its a despersing agent good for clearing out rot/water ingress

heatfan8

Dec 2, 2008
Berkshire
Even if WD40 is left on it won't wear down the spindle. I would certainly not use a £30 heat gun for a cheaper than £30 wiper!