how long before oil turns black??

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Got my car serviced on Tuesday and checked the oil level tonight. The oil is black already and I can't see any signs of the slightest spill of oil anywhere near the cap, or the filter!!

Is it normal for the oil to turn black so quick. Have they actually changed it!!!???

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
I thought it was maybe ok....but didn't want to think I had paid for oil and not actually got it!!:doh:

Even after 30 miles I expected the oil to be newish looking. They could have ran the car for a bit too though.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Check the filter mate, see if its nice and clean, it should be cleaner than the rest of the engine - although maybe not on your motor!

haha.;) I should have let the engine get dirty so that I could see where they touched!!

The filters in a holder thing so couldn't see it. I'll take the cap of it at the weekend when I have more light.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Donnyboy -> You're not the first one to think the dealer's haven't changed their oil....new oil will go black the moment it's poured in the engine of a TDI. By contrast, the oil that has been in my g/fs petrol Focus for 10k miles still looks like new...shows why we have diesel versions of engine oil - they have to work whilst carrying all that shite around !

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
I could be wrong but I believe that most main dealers suck the oil out via the dipstick tube, which will leave some gunky oil in the sump.

I've never noticed that the undertray on mine has been disturbed for an oil change

kempos

Sep 26, 2002
hull
Visit site
suck the oil out never heard of that one thats like the blond that puts oil in thru the dipstick hole
u wouldn't notice the sump tray disturbed as ur car will go up on a lift for easy access that way the few small bolts holding it in place come off easy and go back on correctly

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Yup, get yourself a Pela 6000 :)

IIRC Someone on here sucked the oil out with a Pela, then removed the sump plug to see what was left - hardly anything at all.

One of the most useful tools I own, and a couple of people at work have borrowed it too when they've overfilled with oil - dead easy to suck a little bit out.

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
Yup, get yourself a Pela 6000 :)

IIRC Someone on here sucked the oil out with a Pela, then removed the sump plug to see what was left - hardly anything at all..

Yep, I have a Pela 6000 to, superb bit of kit !!

Beats dismantling the bottom of my Toledo every time I do an oil change.

You can also use the Pela to suck all the oil out of the Oil filter housing, so all in all you deffo get more oil out than with a standard drain..

This video convinced me to buy one.

http://pics2.tdiclub.com/video/cincitdi/oilextraction.html

Well recommended !!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.