How much should I pay for a Mk1 Cupra R?

Fazi12321

Feb 13, 2019
Hey guys,

I'm considering a MK1 LCR as a kind of stop gap while I spend on some other essential things.

I've seen prices range from anywhere between £2k and all the way up to £6k. I'm not being funny but are they really worth as much as even £4/5k especially considering I can buy a MK5 GTI etc for that kind of money and they're based on a newer platform and have supposedly superior handling etc.

What would be a good price to pay in this day and age considering the newest ones are coming up to 15 years old?

Thanks

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
There’s a reason why these cars still go for good money. They’re desirable cars and the market is willing to pay.
You should probably set yourself a price that you’re willing to pay and then go find one at that price. 3-4k sounds about right. More importantly is having the mindset that you WILL end up spending more money to maintain a 15year old car. I reckon I’ve spent over 2k on my car in the past year and this is just on par for the course items. I probably could have ignored a number of things and spent nothing but I like to maintain rather than wait for things to break completely. Maintaining these cars even with standard parts is not cheap.
Find one with evidence that it has been maintained beyond just the annual oil change etc. If the price is too good to be true then it probably is.
I’ve been toying with selling my Mk1 LCR. It’s almost standard and in excellent condition with 102k miles and I’d probably try to market it at around 4k if I put it up for sale.

Reactions: vwtrev

Fazi12321

Feb 13, 2019
Thanks - I figured I should be prepared to pay a little more for one. Just because I've seen a few lemons and realised I had to pay a bit more for a good one! :)

CupraStu

Jan 12, 2019
Inverness
Just picked my one up early January (short MOT due next friday) 101k on clock recent turbo and timing belt replace all receipts for turbo core etc and paid £2100 for it

Bar a leak in the door and a dodgy headlight switch and now today a snapped rear spring its great for the money

however when looking i couldnt find one for less than £3000 and some of those were over 130k on clock

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
...I can buy a MK5 GTI etc for that kind of money and they're based on a newer platform and have supposedly superior handling etc....
Not exactly. When Top Gear TV reviewed the Mk5 GTI in 2005, with much fanfare, they compared its lap time with its rivals, including the Mk1 LCR. The GTI was slower than the LCR: 1:32.9 vs 1:33.7. You can see the segment here, and the leaderboard appears at 08:21.

And compared to an LCR, the Mk5 GTI has a slower steering rack, lousy brakes (no Brembos) and very stodgy low-rev throttle response. And by now, a Mk5 GTI TSI engine will have its inlet valves caked in carbon deposits / gunk because of its direct-injection, with various other general quirks that'll need looking out for, including the possibility of rust in the front wings. Have a look at this used buying guide. Arguably, an LCR is less hassle to own?

But, the MK5 GTI does have a nicer cabin, uses less fuel - IME, 24.4mpg average vs. 30.1mpg - and costs a wee bit less to tax.

Mind you, trying to find an unmolested Mk1 LCR with only 1 or 2 former keepers, a genuine FSH and less than 120k mileage is becoming almost impossible - even the £6-7k 'superstars' on Autotrader don't have pukka FSHs.

Last edited:

Slamdunkdub

Dec 18, 2018
I bought mine spares or repairs just before christmas. It had been purchased from the original owner by a young chap to turn into a track car. Which he didn't do.
It has tons of history and I contacted the original owner and sge confirmed her life changed and she couldnt keep it perfectly maintained so it deteriorated.

I replaced 2 tyres, removed the pcv for a catch tank, n249 delete, full service, resealed the doors put it through an mot and its my daily driver.
However its an early model so the gearbox cant have the shim mod and at 166k miles its a bit whiney so I may consider a later gearbox.

But, its a phenomenal car, the handling is excellent, its fast (stage 1) and driven gently it does about 32mpg on my 50 mile commute of mixed roads.

Buy one, it isnt as disconnected as later hot hatchs.

Fazi12321

Feb 13, 2019
Not exactly. When Top Gear TV reviewed the Mk5 GTI in 2005, with much fanfare, they compared its lap time with its rivals, including the Mk1 LCR. The GTI was slower than the LCR: 1:32.9 vs 1:33.7. You can see the segment here, and the leaderboard appears at 08:21.

And compared to an LCR, the Mk5 GTI has a slower steering rack, lousy brakes (no Brembos) and very stodgy low-rev throttle response. And by now, a Mk5 GTI TSI engine will have its inlet valves caked in carbon deposits / gunk because of its direct-injection, with various other general quirks that'll need looking out for, including the possibility of rust in the front wings. Have a look at this used buying guide. Arguably, an LCR is less hassle to own?

But, the MK5 GTI does have a nicer cabin, uses less fuel - IME, 24.4mpg average vs. 30.1mpg - and costs a wee bit less to tax.

Mind you, trying to find an unmolested Mk1 LCR with only 1 or 2 former keepers, a genuine FSH and less than 120k mileage is becoming almost impossible - even the £6-7k 'superstars' on Autotrader don't have pukka FSHs.

Thanks for taking your time to post this - I've now got one! The last owner (A member on here) had it for 7 years and its done 89k miles with a full extensive history.

I must stress though that after having 2 MK5 GTI's - they do feel a little nicer to drive on the road - I think they're damping is much more suited to the crap roads we have. Sure the brakes are pretty crap, but adequate for road use, and doing a carbon clean isn't too hard (I've done it on both of mine lol) Not complaining mind - I've always wanted a MK1 Leon Cupra R, I think they still look good and they drive pretty damn well too!

I'm just doing a few cheap cosmetic things before I get myself booked in for a timing belt & water pump service etc as it's been a few years since it's had one.

Fazi12321

Feb 13, 2019
I bought mine spares or repairs just before christmas. It had been purchased from the original owner by a young chap to turn into a track car. Which he didn't do.
It has tons of history and I contacted the original owner and sge confirmed her life changed and she couldnt keep it perfectly maintained so it deteriorated.

I replaced 2 tyres, removed the pcv for a catch tank, n249 delete, full service, resealed the doors put it through an mot and its my daily driver.
However its an early model so the gearbox cant have the shim mod and at 166k miles its a bit whiney so I may consider a later gearbox.

But, its a phenomenal car, the handling is excellent, its fast (stage 1) and driven gently it does about 32mpg on my 50 mile commute of mixed roads.

Buy one, it isnt as disconnected as later hot hatchs.

I've got one now.....Picked it up on Sunday! Happy with it - 89k Miles - FULL service history etc etc. Platinum Grey - I really like it already! :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise