how to check if i need spacers for new brake calipers...

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
I've got some porker calipers for my FR+ tdi.

If I jack the car up, remove the front alloy, rest a caliper on top of the disc and then attempt to refit the alloy, will this give a good idea whether I'd need spacers?

I've got the baby 17inch Cupra R alloys.

Also can I jack the car up without removing the cap? It's a right pig to get back on properly!

Thanks!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
You can jack the car up without removing the jacking point cover as long as your jack will stretch to the wish bone mounting point (rear one) on the front subframe.
To be 100% you'll need to fit these. If these are the same as others have fitted just ask the offwset there using.
What model of Calliper are they?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
To be 100% you'll need to fit these. If these are the same as others have fitted just ask the offwset there using.

best idea and the only one in reality, that way not only do you check the clearance on the wheels but also the disc spacing etc as well and you will also know the bolts line up etc ok

small towers of blu-tac are handy to check how close anything is if you are worried anywhere

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
done some searching and no one has done this with the baby cupra R alloys(that i can find). bruceR has the cupra alloys and used spacers. my calipers are 996.351.425/426 boxster s fronts.

im hoping the baby cupra R alloys will have more room then the cupra alloys! im just worried AmD won't have the correct spacers as they'll only know when they try and fit them. i hate down time! lol

DaveB1970

Nov 6, 2008
You got a link to a pic of your wheels, you dont need spacers at all on 17" audi TT compmotive wheels the disc of the brera is very tall so already has roughly 7mm of spacer "built in"

I'd have some 10mm hubcentrics standing by, you can then measure the clearance and if need be, depending on the style of the spacer have the back machined back to whatever you need.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Hi Volvic, if you want to use your original alloys you'll probably need 10mm spacers.
I jacked the car up, removed alloy wheel, removed caliper/carrier and fitted new carrier/caliper. Tried to fit the alloy but it was just 'rocking' on the hub. I fitted 10mm spacers from Forge and now have a 3mm gap :D
Hope this clears things up for you.

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
thanks for the replies!

dave:
seat%20leon%20cupra%20r%201%20(19).JPG

i have those alloys but in 17" form.(from factory)

bruce:
i'd love to try and fit them myself, but something this important i wouldn't have a clue what to do.

we'll just have to wait and see... and keep fingers crossed.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Fitting everything is a doddle but bleeding the brakes is a bit of a nightmare - had to take mine to the local Skada garage to get them good & proper

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise