How to get better mpg from 170 FR TDi

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Coming up next on the "I've bought a performance orientated car but want it to be economical too " thread, how to make your diesel engine run on chip fat and ear wax, plus make your own pants from shed body hair. :D

Jodrell

Feb 12, 2012
Park it on the drive, get the bus to work. You'll save pounds on fuel & tyres etc. Or, strip out all the passenger seats to save weight. Chuck the air con out and the heater. Drive in your shreddies. Fit 135 tyres and blow em up to 50 psi. Go on a diet. Ditch the spare and the jack.
Polish the paint to reduce drag. Shave your head. Or just drive the bl##dy thing and enjoy it. Its a 170bhp car, petrol or diesel if you were looking for economy buy a moped. :D

⬆️ This!

You will spoil all the fun of having a sporty car if you try obsessively to get the highest mpg possible. I drive mixed. Gentle when engine is cold and sometimes the same when warm but use the power if I want to. That's why I didn't buy a Citroen c1. I get 44 minimum and got 58 on a run through Europe with my 170 fr fully loaded to the roof! Quite happy with that.
I think what people forget is the engine is working harder to overcome the high gear ratio if you've changed up too early. I get much better mpg in 5th at 60 than in 6th. Turbo is spinning a bit giving you free momentum. Engine and Dmf is under less strain. if you keep revs between 2 and 2.5 k in any gear light throttle you will get highest mpg.
But the fun factor is worth the extra 3 or 4 quid at the pump.

Enjoy it or buy a shopping car. Lol. :)

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
however on a motorway run, at 54 in 6th which is bang on 1500rpm i average 82mpg :)
/QUOTE]

not in the middle or outside lanes I hope :)

Those lorrys and cars are probably not flashing and beeping you to congratulate you on your excellent mpg you know :D

Last edited:

andy550

Jan 10, 2013
Loughborough
I get 44 minimum and got 58 on a run through Europe with my 170 fr fully loaded to the roof! Quite happy with that.

58?! I got 35 when I went last year :p. I was too busy flying round the 'ring, on alpine roads and doing 140 down autobahns :-D

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2008
Suffolk
My car had the injector recall when I rang Seat UK.

Is I true that they have updated the software for the PD170?

Or don't they update the firmware for the injectors, ECU etc. As I was told (internet gossip?) that when your car gets serviced at main dealers, they update the software if there are updates?

Luke

andy550

Jan 10, 2013
Loughborough
Whenever you go for a service at a main dealer they'll update the ECU if there is an update available. AFAIK they have to do one with the injectors

Mac

Dec 13, 2013
TM. RO
www.racingparts.ro
if you want better mileage you must trade it for the 105hp engine :)
this month i am driving just in town, short journeys , so i think i will drop to 35mpg if not worse
i will keep you updated
i will be uploading the fuel consumption test shortly .

Mar 13, 2008
Suffolk
Whenever you go for a service at a main dealer they'll update the ECU if there is an update available. AFAIK they have to do one with the injectors

That's what I was thinking. Is there anyway to find out if there is has been any updates? Surely the PD170 can't be this bad on fuel, I have even had words with my car, and the next 7days after it flashed the coil light on! I think we are friends now.

Luke

andy550

Jan 10, 2013
Loughborough
Is it standard? No DPF delete or remap? Does seem a bit low, though mine I have to drive a bit eco to get 40/42 in town, id get 37ish otherwise. Motorways I easily get 50 with cruise on at 70/75.

Without meaning to sound like a bit of a nob, you're not a bit lead footed are you?

holmefield

Forever messing with cars
Oct 20, 2013
Since my stage2 remap + Dpf delete my Fr Pd has been averaging 39/41 mpg with a mix of motorway A roads town driving and the odd race against Audi A4s A3s and a merc, which bugged the hell out of the merc driver wheni pulled away whilst leaving my soot cloud!!!!

Mar 13, 2008
Suffolk
Is it standard? No DPF delete or remap? Does seem a bit low, though mine I have to drive a bit eco to get 40/42 in town, id get 37ish otherwise. Motorways I easily get 50 with cruise on at 70/75.

Without meaning to sound like a bit of a nob, you're not a bit lead footed are you?

Was that for me? If so....

It does yes. I do a 300mile trip to my parents, 3 up and boot full, sitting at 70mph it's getting high 48mph or so from memory, so crap. That's driving stead and driving in an eco manner.

I can have a short burst of heavy footed, but at the most part drive for MPG.

Luke

andy550

Jan 10, 2013
Loughborough
Was that for me? If so....

It does yes. I do a 300mile trip to my parents, 3 up and boot full, sitting at 70mph it's getting high 48mph or so from memory, so crap. That's driving stead and driving in an eco manner.

I can have a short burst of heavy footed, but at the most part drive for MPG.

Luke

Yeah sorry should've quoted you.

Not sure tbh. 48 doesn't sound bad, mine is sometimes around that on motorway runs if there's a lot of uphills. I find if I go to Coventry from Loughborough it's 4/5 MPG higher than going the other way. What are your tyre pressures like? I hadn't checked mine for a while and they'd plummeted and made a he'll.of a difference.

Also, what I'm quoting are trip computer values, haven't calculated the actual one recently.

Mar 13, 2008
Suffolk
Yeah sorry should've quoted you.

Not sure tbh. 48 doesn't sound bad, mine is sometimes around that on motorway runs if there's a lot of uphills. I find if I go to Coventry from Loughborough it's 4/5 MPG higher than going the other way. What are your tyre pressures like? I hadn't checked mine for a while and they'd plummeted and made a he'll.of a difference.

Also, what I'm quoting are trip computer values, haven't calculated the actual one recently.

No worries.

It really depends somewhat like yours, can be 45-48mpg at 70mph, on the car trip.

Tyre pressures are checked once-twice a week and are 33F and 30R day to day.

Luke

Mar 13, 2008
Suffolk
Fuel economy has been better of late. I don't know if it's the milder weather or not, but they seem to be 3-5mpg better in all driving conditions.

Luke

holmefield

Forever messing with cars
Oct 20, 2013
Mine seems to be stuck around 40/41mpg tryed slower driving ( just boring ) tryed a bit harder driving ( love it but licence loser ) so just gunna stick to middle of the two & hopefully stay @ around 41mpg...im happy with that as I get to play with 215bhp & still get half decent mpg..

andy550

Jan 10, 2013
Loughborough
40/41 is good for town/country driving, I see as low as 33 on some hard country drives!

ryan_cbell77

Feb 17, 2014
glenrothes, fife
Whenever I try "granny driving" car goes into regen mode! Dpf must be blocked bad
Agree, doing 60 miles each day car doesn't Like 6th gear at 50, 5th gets better mpg unless
Motorway speeds.

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Interesting read. I always thought the best way to achieve better MPG was to quickly,but smoothly, reach cruising speed and stay there in the highest gear possible. Driving along at very low rpm shouldn't be problematic if you are not asking the car to do anything other than maintain cruising speed. There should be no shudder or strain. As soon as you might need the slightest acceleration, you would need to drop a gear to bring the revs up, then accelerate. It is all about anticipating what you will need to do next. I never had any issues with my diesels doing this, neither the FIAT nor the Kia.

Another way to maximise MPG when cruising, other than to avoid using cruise control, is to position your foot so that you can feather the throttle, rather than press it.

But by far the best way to achieve high MPG is to trade the car in for an ecomotive model.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.