How to soften up the ride on the Leon FR...?

samjolly

Sounds like a simple idea..... I assume you are serious with this comment?? Apologies if I am being a bit ignorant on all things mechanical.

If this is the way to go, then you are basically saying Golf (GT TDI???)Springs, dampners and bushes etc.???

Is the orginal Leon Chassis of an Audi A3 or Golf???

Thanks,

Sam

samjolly

Oh by the way it is the 2005 model old shape ie MK1 I guess....

Sam

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
same suspension same spring rate then... simple swap over, although i cant see there being much difference in the ride on either.

but if you prefer the golf ride then try to match the charecteristics of that. you say the golf has 150k miles plus, could the softer ride be that the shocks are worn thus becoming bouncier creating the softer feel??

the suspension setup on the 2 should be very very similar.

what tyres are on the golf.... size and brand?? also whats on the leon to compare?

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
just to add my two penneth.

If you buy eibach pro springs for the 20vt, they are the same as the springs for 150tdi

so technically your golf springs should be the same spring weight. it'll look a bit like a 4x4 though :(

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
golfs sit really high on their springs. Huge arch gaps. you must of seen a few standard golfs on 18's. they always look a bit wrong :(

samjolly

James,

The Golf has always be "spongier". Infact this was a criticism of the MK4 Golf in that its chassis was too floaty and spongy. Some called it the "mini passat". However not a problem for me. To be honest if this was slightly tighter then that would be great.... Abit like the feel of a MK5 or 6 Golf. My Golf tyres are Dunlop 195/65/R15s. I guess the shocks etc may be slightly worn, but there has always been a large difference between the FR and the Golf in the ride.

Thanks,

Sam

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
James,

The Golf has always be "spongier". Infact this was a criticism of the MK4 Golf in that its chassis was too floaty and spongy. Some called it the "mini passat". However not a problem for me. To be honest if this was slightly tighter then that would be great.... Abit like the feel of a MK5 or 6 Golf. My Golf tyres are Dunlop 195/65/R15s. I guess the shocks etc may be slightly worn, but there has always been a large difference between the FR and the Golf in the ride.

Thanks,

Sam

what tyres on the fr??

to run tighter youre looking at handling upgrades and stiffer suspension.. opposite to what you want from the fr.

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
If you buy eibach pro springs for the 20vt, they are the same as the springs for 150tdi

Hmmm, they shouldn't be the same :confused:

20vt is a 1.8 petrol engine and 150 tdi is a 1.9 diesel.

So engines are different weights, therefore springs/suspension for one car, will make it sit differently for the other.

So as 1.9tdi is a heavier engine than the 1.8, that kit you're on about will make the fr sit very low at the front. And if you put a kit for an fr on a 1.8 then it will sit much higher at the front.

This make sense? lol.

samjolly

yes you did, just seen it......!!! :)

James, did you get my postback... May have got lost in the 4X4 conversation !!!!

Cheers,

Sam

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts

So engines are different weights, therefore springs/suspension for one car, will make it sit differently for the other.

So as 1.9tdi is a heavier engine than the 1.8, that kit you're on about will make the fr sit very low at the front. And if you put a kit for an fr on a 1.8 then it will sit much higher at the front.

This make sense? lol.

diesel and 1.8t spring rates run roughly the same, big difference is the stock leons to turbo or tdi leons.

if you look at aftermarket kits they are always listed for 1.8t AND 1.9tdi

for example

http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/seat-leon-1m-99-05-c-2376_2530_2574.html

Last edited:

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007

This make sense? lol.

you would of thought so but they are indeed the same spring (eibach anyway). I dont think the tdi is much heavier than the 20vt.

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
diesel and 1.8t spring rates run roughly the same, big difference is the stock leons to turbo or tdi leons.

if you look at aftermarket kits they are always listed for 1.8t AND 1.9tdi

Ah ok, fair enough, I assumed it would the same for aftermarket kits as it is for the stock suspension.

samjolly

James, Not quite sure since it is not here. But standard FR fit low profile tyres.

About stiffer handling I meant to say that putting Golf suspension on the Leon would probably end up with something that was slightly harder than my current spongy Golf which would be good... ie a midway point.

To clarify when you talk about Golf suspension are you talking about all the components ie
Spring, Dampners and bushes or what?

Cheers,

Sam

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
hard ride could be down to poor quality tyres mate, or hard compound tyres.

well the bushes,top mounts etc are all the same.

id maybe look for some low mileage mk4 shocks and springs then stiffen the roll by adding arbs and strut brace... best of both then.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise