How to spot a genuine TDI FR130

seat_rich

Five atoms
Jul 29, 2009
I've been browsing Autotrader looking for an FR TDI 130, and I'm a little wary about people advertising a car as an 'FR 130' when in fact it's just a remapped 110, or even nothing of the sort.

One thing which worries me is that there seem to be a few which have 'TDI' on the back, instead of 'FR' even though the advert describes them as an FR. Is this right? If so, how do you make sure it's an FR?

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Pre-facelift FRs have the badge on the B-pillar trim. They should have silver mirrors, regardless of colour too! Also the alloys are FR only jobbies...

Pre-facelift...
seat_ibiza_fr_tdi.jpg

Facelift... (56 plate onwards I believe)
2006-seat-ibiza-fr-01.jpg

If you see one you like, an HPI check with the DVLA will tell you what it is!

techathy

^^ my name, my thought >>
Jul 9, 2009
Cambridge
The wing mirror thing isn't certain however. I know of a genuine FR where the dealership re-sprayed the wing mirrors pre-delivery at the buyers request & only a paint chip revealing the original silver paint gives the re-spray away after 5 years & 90k miles.

Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham
cosmetics are no guarantee as they can all be easily changed. Your best bet is if your interested in a car do a HPI check or insurance quote :) when using the registration number for insurance they should be able to tell you what car it is.

seat_rich

Five atoms
Jul 29, 2009
cosmetics are no guarantee as they can all be easily changed. Your best bet is if your interested in a car do a HPI check or insurance quote :) when using the registration number for insurance they should be able to tell you what car it is.

Oh when it comes down actually going to see the car, test drive etc. I'll definitely be doing the DVLA thing. I just wanted to make sure that the sort of cars I was budgetting for on Autotrader were genuine FRs and not just mislabelled.

More a case of trying to avoid the genuine description errors rather than the fraudsters.

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
I think mine has "FR" on the speedo as well. That's not quite so easy to reproduce. Should also has 6 speed box (don't think the 110's had that). As Gooner Mike says, HPI check will reveal all.

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
TDi 130's have a 6 speed gearbox. I'm not sure when the FR came in over the TDi sport though, perhaps somone else could tell you that.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
They came in in 04 I think.
FR`s also have white dials, twin exhaust (others have a single or hidden), honeycomb grills, grey rear lights, badges and a two-tone grey dash.

You could also check if it has Traction control - the button is beside the handbrake.

MadFaz

New(ish)bee
Sep 28, 2008
Bradford
TDI Sports have Traction Control as well, i've seen TDI Sports upto 04, so FR's would have come in at that time onwards.

Another way to find out is to go to mycarcheck.com, just type in the numberplate and most times, it'll tell you what car it is and then after that you can do a HPI check if you wish. Works for me.

seat_rich

Five atoms
Jul 29, 2009
TDI Sports have Traction Control as well, i've seen TDI Sports upto 04, so FR's would have come in at that time onwards.

Another way to find out is to go to mycarcheck.com, just type in the numberplate and most times, it'll tell you what car it is and then after that you can do a HPI check if you wish. Works for me.

Awesome, that's in the bookmarks now!

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009

I know, mine has it too... but it would show it is`nt a lower spec engine as he said!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members