ibiza 6L Gearstick not springing to centre in neutral & sometimes struggles to find reverse.

Feb 28, 2022
Okay just looking for some help on what I need to buy/replace to fix this issue. My gearstick doesn't go back to the centre when in neutral, so if I wiggle the stick side to side in neutral the gearstick stays pretty much where I left it at either side and won't stay central unless I manually put it central, also feels quite gritty/stiff wiggling it side to side. This also seems to be causing another issue and that's getting the gearstick into reverse. I have to make sure to manually place the gearstick in the centre and slam down and quickly put it into reverse, if I don't do this it just pops back up after letting go.

I took the centre console and gaiter off etc and greased everything up and it doesn't seem to have helped, while doing this I noticed a piece of spring that seems to be broken.

iPhone_a7159_IMG_0454.png
iPhone_a7159_IMG_0453.png

I found a bit of that bronze metal clip thing in the slit (circled) just on the carpet right below where it is, so its obviously snapped but I'm just wondering if anybody knows if that's what could be causing the issue, so I know if I only need to replace the gearstick. Sorry if it seems like a stupid question but I'm not the most experience and I've asked a few people at my works what could be causing the issue and been told it could be all sorts of different things including the gearbox.

Any help would be massively appreciated, thanks in advanced.

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Hi mate it’s not the inside selector it’s the shifter towel parts you need to grease.

If you take the cable clips off and swing the shifter tower arm it will probably be tight to turn you need to remove that and then push out the plastic bush and clean the hole it goes in lube it all up again and rebuilt it and it should be back to normal.
Mine was a pain tho as the plastic bush was so brittle it snapped to replaced it and it was brand new again.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Not sure if related but that large metal spring on mine snapped years ago and I can't see a way of getting it off without a whole new assembly.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.