Ibiza changer install probs HELP!!!

garfy1981

I am having problems installing a cd changer into my 2000 seat ibiza. The stereo is built into the main control pannel as you guys prob know, It controls also the climate control. I have tried three changers and all have performed differently. Halfords tried new 6 disc sony and connects adaptor changer powered up but display only read cd1 trk 1 00:00 so they went away scratching there heads. They gave me another adaptor and i tried it with my mates 10 disc sony changer again same thing. Now i have a genuine vw/seat cd changer which plugs into the boot no problem without adaptor, powers up and searches through cds press cd button and it will find the first cd in the changer and again read cd1 trk 1 00:00 but it will only find one cd it says the rest of the cd are empty. I have read somewhere that the dealer may have to program the stereo to accept the changer using VAGCOM or something not sure if this is true tho? I was going to disconnect and reconnect the battery but i think the stereo will prob ask for the radio code and i dont have it. Any ideas would be a great help!!!! Cheers :confused: Ps hope i have posted this in correct area as this is my first post if not sorry!! :hide:

LCR_225

Daddy's little tick turd
Feb 15, 2004
Hampshire
www.ukactionsports.co.uk
I have used the Sony 6 CD changer with 'connects' adaptor and it worked fine and i have used the the SEAT changer and it works fine!
There isnt anything that needs programming into the unit as VAG.COM and the dealers VAG computers cannot communicate with the radio in the Mk3 Ibiza, due to the radio not having a control unit. The newer radios in the Leon and new Ibiza do so these can be checked for faults.

Hopes this helps/makes sense.

BMcN

Mr. Car Carer
Just check that all the CD's in are genuine, not burnt at home. Another thing I have found when playing my home made CD's is to put on the last song on CD 1 and fastforward to near the end. Then allow the CD to play. When the song is finished it will automatically move onto CD 2.

Don't know why but whenever it doesn't like a CD this method of allowing it to run onto that CD itself has always worked.

P.S. welcome to SCN.

bruce

try re-setting the head unit......on mine there was no code....reset it by taking out the necessary fuse in the fuse box for 30 seconds an put it back in and see what happens

garfy1981

will give it a try today and see how it goes, cheers for all your help guys, would prob be a go idea on these bloody radio to install a 2nd non standerd stereo in the glove box and somehow make a changeover relay or run sepeate speakers. will let you know how it goes. cheers

bruce

that's what i've done....put an alpine....but under the steering wheel in the larger of the two pockets....quite easy to do and makes upgrades easier and they'll sounds better

garfy1981

Ahh good idea under the steering wheel!, anyhow put in 6 genuine cds, pulled fuse to radio gave it about 5 mins put it back in, must have reset because it lost time and stations, also didnt need radio code. However still the same, carries out cd check goes through each cd no probs in the changer then display reads cd1 trk1 00;00 and thats it. If you press any other cd button ie; 2,3,4,5,6 it doesnt reads no cd and doesnt recognize they are there. Im throwing in the white flag now! going to book it into car ice company to see what they can do. If they cant do it then i guess its to the seat garage. Will let you know how it goes. Cheers :cheers:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
2 thoughts to note

is it a new changer (genuine one)

are the cd's are upside down ? ;) trust me has been known

garfy1981

I did try to find a part number for the seat changer but came up short, the one i have at the moment has the same plug that fits to the ibiza boot plug the only details on it are VW cd changer 1J5 035 111A Ref No. CX-CV1820LV. If anyone has a genuine changer and could check these would be much appreciated. But is strange that the sony changer and adaptor was doing exactely the same thing??
I did try the cds up the other way but was still same.

garfy1981

have only just begun to look into the problem with stereo, seems as if it may be the stereo itself as everyone tells me it should work if not the seat changer then the sony changer should work, but not neither. Cant get a tape to play on the stereo either, can put tape in but press "tape" and nothing happens, cant fast forward or rewind either. Gonna see if it is covered under its 3mths warrenty as only just got the car, but if not has anyone got idea of how much these stereo units cost?? mine controls climate control as mentioned earlier.

CupraPower

Jan 29, 2004
Woking, Surrey
Visit site
Once playing the cd. Hold down the number 3 button. This re-sets the cd.
Worth a try

Mine can be a pain sometimes. Playing a cd. Go into a shop, put key in ignition and it doesnt play straight away. Only happens sometimes but still a git!

:rolleyes:

garfy1981

Well the update is that the stereo is knackered, its now not running tapes or still accepting cds, even had an ice company try an alpine changer but still no joy.
So i bit the bullet and took it to seat, they confirmed the radio is knackered. When he told me i was just waiting for the £300 figure!! But much to my amazement the radio actually separates from the screen into a separate unit made by grundig! this unit can be replaced for £70 exchanged. So happy days !!!
Also im much impressed with the seat garage, anything i want done they can give me a fixed price, and with a bit of haggling they can even do it a bit cheaper!! no the usual deep breath and £50 p/hr polava at other main dealers!!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise