Ibiza Fr 1.9tdi 130bhp poor mpg

donovan2123

Jan 14, 2007
Oxford
As above I have a seat ibiza 1.9tdi 130bhp and I'm getting shocking mpg.

Very spirited drive I'm getting as low as 22mpg according to trip. And on my 10mile trip to work I get around 43-44mpg sitting at around 65-70mph.

Outside temp is around 20c so it's not cold weather.

I have vcds so anything I can check before I go changing bits. Also noticed soot and oil around the egr valve is this normal?

donovan2123

Jan 14, 2007
Oxford
It was serviced just before I bought it few weeks ago seller included receipt for this.

Steady 70-80mph I got 190miles round trip motorway from a £30

donovan2123

Jan 14, 2007
Oxford
So from what I can gather it could be any of the below? ,
Egr
Maf
Coolant temp sensor

Also turbo spool noise is fairly noticeable not whining or police siren noise it more like a blowing air noise. I can't however see any leaks but noticed zip ties have been used to secure boost pipe to egr valve.

Nahguam

Had the same problems myself when I first bought my car, I bought it mainly on the fuel consumption as compared to other cars that have this sort of speed it claims to do alot better on fuel that you actually find out, I have the exact same whistle like a police siren, I removed all boost hoses and sealed the ends, no joy, I tried spraying water / washing up liquid mix all over them trying to find the leak and couldn't find anything, you'll probably find the hose at the bottom of your intercooler weeping oil slightly but you wont physically find a air leak there. I serviced the car, cleaned the egr, checked for tyre pressures, checked for seized brakes, tried using bp ultimate, fuels addetives, injector cleaners, nothing, and the more people you speak to with the same car all have the same issue, I get 45 mpg doing what i'd class as combined mpg, when i do extra urban i can get 50mpg, I even started recording my mpg manually to see if the onboard computer was out, which it is to about 2 mpg so its still pretty precise. For me I think i done everything i could to try and improve mpg and still no results, If you find anything please let me know

donovan2123

Jan 14, 2007
Oxford
Is there anything in vcds I can do to check operation of egr valve or monitor the boost pressure.

I don't have a police siren whistle or it just sounds like compressed air. Not sure if it's normal but I hear more air noise(spooling) than I do the actual turbo.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Is there anything in vcds I can do to check operation of egr valve or monitor the boost pressure.

I don't have a police siren whistle or it just sounds like compressed air. Not sure if it's normal but I hear more air noise(spooling) than I do the actual turbo.

I believe you can check both in VCDS.

spud31

Rail Zip User
Jul 14, 2011
leaking egr valve thats where the oil and soot is from.
stick a blank in the pipe to reduce flow to it will improve things.
How old is your fr?

donovan2123

Jan 14, 2007
Oxford
20130710_170657_zps9309e3f5.jpg

20130710_170705_zpsd25ff246.jpg

donovan2123

Jan 14, 2007
Oxford
This is getting pretty frustrating. I did 10miles only averaged 39-40mpg but touch throttle to hard and that drops to like 35mpg. Also noticed my temp gauge needle sits just below 90 is this normal or should it be bang on the middle?
. Also how do I change coolant temp sensor if I need to and how do I remove egr valve?

Thanks in advance

donovan2123

Jan 14, 2007
Oxford
Yes according to temp dial it's sitting just below 90. I mean literally as the white line of 90 dial sits at start of white line instead of in the middle

spud31

Rail Zip User
Jul 14, 2011
its running too cold, needs a thermostat change common fault.
due to it not warming up fully its still running on warm up fueling

attila_tdi

Aug 2, 2009
Hampshire
*****how to check boost pressure in vcds*****

Right, you need to run a boost log in vcds, this can be done in the light version.

Go to engine control module and select measuring block 11. Run a log and press record. Whilst its recording go for a drive and make sure u go up to 3000rpm in third. Stay there for a while.

Once its recorded press stop. It should then have dumped all the data in the excel file in the root folder for the software. Make a graph snd should look like this:

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr124/mezzanator/VCDSMeasuringBlock11-Boost.png

You should see actual boost pressure following specified boost over the rev range. You will get a few over boost as per graph but this is normal as the engine tries to respond to quick throttle action.

This will tell u if there is a boost leak

donovan2123

Jan 14, 2007
Oxford
Just an update. I did a vcds log of boost and boost seems to be fine so I am not sure if it is a leak as such however one thing that I have noticed is a releasing air pressure sound which occurs straight after turning engine off.

Also the egr is seeping so much. I can clean it and with in a day or two it's leaking oil again out of the two vent holes.

Another thing should the valve always be closed or should it be open I.e when engine I switched off?

Last thing I noticed the bottom boost hose is leaking oil slightly.

No turbo whine or police siren noise however I do think the cars boost sound is louder than it should be I.e I hear airy noise more than the actual turbo whistle.