IHI POWER!! Booked in at Jabba

myk3

Dec 16, 2005
Slowly getting there :D

Either a gt2871r or a gt3071r :confused:

What are your opions on these?

i would recommend gt3071r if you are going to rev to 8k and do all the necessary to the head and

gt2871r if you are not going to go nuts on it. a guy on vortex tells me he gets full spool on the 2871r at around 3600rpm :O i think i would go with this turbo, it will also make over 400bhp.

i believe the gt3071r will make full boost around 4.5ish or there abouts, but some serious kick when it does.

seeing as i am having all the necessary done to my engine i might drop a 2871r in a yr or so. who knows. or just stop wasting my money and put more of it towards the mortgage deposit lol :whistle:

edit:
also to add it depends on the A/R you go for, manifold, engine displacement etc which ill affect the spool.

maybe a with a good tune, manifold etc you can get a gt3071r to spool around the 4k mark. which would be nice

Last edited:

Yumann

May 17, 2002
Glasgow
i would recomend gt3071r if you are going to rev to 8k and do all the nessasary to the head and

gt2871r if you are not going to go nuts on it. a guy on vortex tells me he gets full spool on the 2871r at around 3600rpm :O i think i would go with this turbo, it will also make over 400bhp.

i belive the gt3071r will make full boost around 4.5ish or there abouts, but some serious kick when it does.

seeing as i am having all the nessasary done to my engine i might drop a 2871r in a yr or so. who knows. or just stop wasting my money and put more of it towards the mortgage deposit lol :whistle:

Its going to be one of these two turbos thats for sure. However some of the stuff that goes round on vwvortex is a bit iffy to say the least. You cannot judge lag by when a car makes full boost its more to do with off/on throttle response.

I would love to see mid 400 power and i am sure the gt3071r could do it on v-power. The question is how will it affect drivability. To much to little is whats bothering me.

As for the gt2871r from what I gather it spools very quick and totally savage in 1-3 gears again maybe a bit to much. Cause it spools to fast it might be a handful.

From the information I have gathered the logical choice seems to say 2871 however my heart says 3071. Anyway I pretty sure that the 2871 can be swaped out for a 3071 with minimal modification to the dp.

Edited: It will be a .64 A/R no question about this.

myk3

Dec 16, 2005
yah true the stuff on vortex can be a bit iffy as you say. you want the gt30 for the mid 400s! though the gt2871r is a great turbo i would look to do this first, in respect there both great. if i do ever want to go bigger and better i would be debating the two for a while. just do the research and pick the one you want.

just out of interest where are you sourcing the the manifold, inlet and DP that will join the current catback? to suit the RHD?

thanks

myk3

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
I did'nt see you were getting the BT conversion in any other posts so just read through all this. I would say 350 has got to be your limit surely in the mk4. not from a tuning position, but from a drivability situation. I would say that once you have had that all done you will need to spend money on making other things more reliable and tighter. Surely some monster money on suspension set-up and chasis set up will be of more use than ringing out even more power.

a Quaife ATb would also be of a lot of use too.

I mean picture this, pull up to some lights on a damp evening, boyo pulls up next to you in a corsa. lights go green and said 1.4 corsa wastes you off the line. Why? cos you're sitting there spinning like a *****.

My mate has a corsa 2.0 turbo, and its about 300 bhp, sound great, looks fun, but it is such a pig to drive as all it ever does is spin up.

Thats where your money needs to go afterwards, getting the chassis half close to coping with that power, but i doubt its cheap. You only have to look at what Bill and the other BT boys spend on all the fancy tech stuff they add on.

But watching this very interested and hats off to you for being the first to do the mk4, i know there was another guy who harped on about doing it Chris cupra or something, but he never went ahead with it, i think he bottled like so many others have.

keep us all posted on this

so suprised no1 else hasnt put bigger turbo on the mk4 beezer cupra! i will get round to the quaife diff and some decent tyres when ive got a bit more money but im a bit skint at the mo :lol: will get sum pics up when done on a new thread :thumbup:

if you learn to control the power im sure more power doesnt mean more spin it will take some getting used to but it will be great FUN!

Yumann

May 17, 2002
Glasgow
yah true the stuff on vortex can be a bit iffy as you say. you want the gt30 for the mid 400s! though the gt2871r is a great turbo i would look to do this first, in respect there both great. if i do ever want to go bigger and better i would be debating the two for a while. just do the research and pick the one you want.

just out of interest where are you sourcing the the manifold, inlet and DP that will join the current catback? to suit the RHD?

thanks

myk3

I have done loads of research on both turbos :confused: on the web, forums, turbo suppliers etc. Its hard to be sure whats best for me without trying. Its a very tough choice :(

As for the mani it will be a full race manifold specific to rhd with custom dp and decat (scrapping the miltek cat). I know someone who will build me one or I could pay a wee bit extra for something special which I am still waiting to hear word on.

I'm pretty much ready to go now with everything in place. Not just slapped in a bt and hope for the best. I've taken a hands on approach to choosing the best parts possible and getting it ready for bt without corner cutting.

Yumann

May 17, 2002
Glasgow
Price isnt too bad, its the VAT that kills it then the diff bolts cost abot £97 in total you'll be spending £775... just dont show your girlfriend the bill. :blink:

Peloquin diffs come with bolt set, Quaifes however don't. Two options for bolt set, vw bolt set which is £89 or ARP bolt set which is bout the same price TBH both just as good as reflected by the price.

Its not the vat or the diff thats the killer its the fitting mate. Theres at least 12h labour. You wont get much change out of £1100 for the lot.

Edited Quaife might actually come with bolts as of 2006 worth checking.

myk3

Dec 16, 2005
yah im debating weather to do the same, but i would prob go with the gt2871r. im in no great hurry maybe next summer time is when i would be looking if i even do.

but its hard to find a place that will sell you a mani for the RHD car and the DP to suit. then bolt the turbo in place

myk3

Dec 16, 2005
Peloquin diffs come with bolt set, Quaifes however don't. Two options for bolt set, vw bolt set which is £89 or ARP bolt set which is bout the same price TBH both just as good as reflected by the price.

Its not the vat or the diff thats the killer its the fitting mate. Theres at least 12h labour. You wont get much change out of £1100 for the lot.

Edited Quaife might actually come with bolts as of 2006 worth checking.

i am having a pelequin fitted which i of course ordered from the states with all me other bits.

from research and even from some which have had experiance with the 2 the pelequin in meant to be better.

which is the reason i got the pelequing :D

myk3

Dec 16, 2005
bill, a bit off topic but do you sell or can you get hold of equal lenghth tube manis and the DP to attach to the miltek cat back for a t25 flange gt serise turbo for e.g.? i would prob be looking for a gt2871r. could my future plans in a yr or so...

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I have done loads of research on both turbos :confused: on the web, forums, turbo suppliers etc. Its hard to be sure whats best for me without trying. Its a very tough choice :(

As for the mani it will be a full race manifold specific to rhd with custom dp and decat (scrapping the miltek cat). I know someone who will build me one or I could pay a wee bit extra for something special which I am still waiting to hear word on.

I'm pretty much ready to go now with everything in place. Not just slapped in a bt and hope for the best. I've taken a hands on approach to choosing the best parts possible and getting it ready for bt without corner cutting.

you want a nice little setup like this :D :p
badger-mani-V2-2-small.jpg

badger5-ceram-mani-2.jpg

:thumbup:

Talk race... talking 'proven' race - actual race, not road blast every now and then affair like most.

:)

Consider increasing capacity if wanting a full on motor... by bore and or stroke combined. It will open up the options for bigger turbo's with significant gains in spool and tip in response.
extra bore makes a big difference to deshrouding 2 of the inlet valves... add some stroke from a eurospec type 2ltr crank and its a really good starting point for GT35 and very drivable (in 4wd platform!)

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
bill, a bit off topic but do you sell or can you get hold of equal lenghth tube manis and the DP to attach to the miltek cat back for a t25 flange gt serise turbo for e.g.? i would prob be looking for a gt2871r. could my future plans in a yr or so...

as in the picture I have posted... this can be flanged T25 or T3... as well as IHI (pictured)

want serious power then T3 flange is the more appropriate.

Yumann

May 17, 2002
Glasgow
i am having a pelequin fitted which i of course ordered from the states with all me other bits.

from research and even from some which have had experiance with the 2 the pelequin in meant to be better.

which is the reason i got the pelequing :D

If I was to do it again I would use a peloquin. But I have no problems with the quaife nothing but praisefrom evryone who drives it.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.