Immobiliser issue?

Scimitar

Jan 10, 2009
This morning I got in my 1.6 sport to go to work as usual, went to start it, it started then died after about 1-2 seconds. Tried again and the same thing happened. Then I noticed the immobiliser light flashing at me. I'm assuming this is not good news, I've searched the forums and there are similar cases but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what the issue might be and what I can try before getting in touch with a garage. Also I only have the one key.

Al

Scimitar

Jan 10, 2009
Update:

Error codes are Engine Control Unit and Engine start blocked by immobilizer.

Fantastic!

Scimitar

Jan 10, 2009
It's been suggested i change the ignition receiver coil... will anyone know if this is plug and pray or does it need to be coded to the car?

Scimitar

Jan 10, 2009
I'm still working on this, had the Stealers look at it, they said I might need an ECU which was 700 buff but might well not be the problem. I replied with something to the effect of 'You might as well change the f*cking gear box and see if that worked?"

I'm at a loss really! I have a new reader coil in the post to try, but I'm not holding out much hope as I've tested the old one on a basic level and it seems to be working.

I've also called about 10 ECU repair companies and NONE can decode the immobiliser. I've also been told the immobiliser connectors might be the problem "a small black box to the right of the steering column" but I cant find anything fitting that description.

If you have any luck let me know. I've been off the road for a month now and can't afford a new car:p I'm using a 125cc motorbike at the moment hahaha.

p34ch3y

tastefully modified
Oct 17, 2005
cambs
im in the very same boat mate this has been on going for me nearly 7 months now i now have an auto electrition on the case,il let you know was he says

samacus

Nov 30, 2008
reader coil, just fixed this problem £12 from stealers but need to reset the code, i took my battery out for the night and put on charge then worked fine in the morning

alex_cupra09

now owner of mk3 cupra
Mar 12, 2009
Nantwich
if the immobileser light / key light flashes its something to do with the chip inside the key or the key reader attatched to the ignition barrel.

Scimitar

Jan 10, 2009
Right, a little progress. I've done something similar, but i cleaned all the contacts etc on the reader coil, charged the battery etc as per above. I then whiped all the error codes and tried for a start..... Same thing happened, i think it ran for about a second longer, but its hard to tell. Anyway, basically the same thing happened but NO FLASHING LIGHT. Error codes still read ecu and engine start failed because of immobiliser...... Hmmmmm

Scimitar

Jan 10, 2009
Incase you're interested thats codes:
01177 ECU
17978 Engine start blocked by immobiliser

paul geraghty

Das Booted Brigade
I cannot really advise about the immob as i have a after market one but mine used to fire die even when reved then cut off if i tried to fire it up again i would get nothing until i armed and disarmed the alarm then then it would fire and die then wouldn't fire until i repeated the process.
I went to a local scrappy picked up 2 coil packs fitted one fired up and its been fine.

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
17978/P1570/005488 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer

Possible Symptoms
Engine starting but stalling immediately
Possible Causes
Key(s) not matched
Instrument Cluster not matched
Engine Control Unit (ECU) not matched
Engine Control Unit (ECU) Power Supply faulty
Possible Solutions
Check for Fault Codes in Immobilizer itself (part of Instrument Cluster in many cars, but separate Immobilizer Control Module in some)
Check Immobilizer Measuring Values (usually in Instrument Cluster OR Immobilizer Control Module)
Match Key(s)/Instrument Cluster/Engine Control Unit (ECU)
Check Engine Control Unit (ECU) Power Supply (Relay)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.