Immobiliser issue?

Scimitar

Jan 10, 2009
Just a quick update, still no joy :S not managed to get the SKC code. I'm wondering now if I have a better idea of what is wrong. When this happened the light on the dash flashed, i cleaned the coil reader contacts and that went away. I still get engine start blocked by immobiliser but no flashing light. If i disconnect the coil reader I get the flashing light back again. I can assume from this that the coil is working. I'm wondering if A the key has become decoded from the car? or B if its the instrument cluster that needs replacing. Any ideas on how I can tell or how hard it is to get a new (second hand) instrument cluster installed?

Scimitar

Jan 10, 2009
also hypothetically if i were to get an ecu, cluster and key from another car and swapped em, would it work?

p34ch3y

tastefully modified
Oct 17, 2005
cambs
Just a quick update, still no joy :S not managed to get the SKC code. I'm wondering now if I have a better idea of what is wrong. When this happened the light on the dash flashed, i cleaned the coil reader contacts and that went away. I still get engine start blocked by immobiliser but no flashing light. If i disconnect the coil reader I get the flashing light back again. I can assume from this that the coil is working. I'm wondering if A the key has become decoded from the car? or B if its the instrument cluster that needs replacing. Any ideas on how I can tell or how hard it is to get a new (second hand) instrument cluster installed?

dont buy a second hand one cheaper to get i repaired from here http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/Index.aspx?category=24 think the y charge around 60 pounds to repair instrument cluster also it may be worth sending them you ecu as well

also hypothetically if i were to get an ecu, cluster and key from another car and swapped em, would it work?

the thing with swaping is you still have to recode them

Scimitar

Jan 10, 2009
But only to each other surely?! thats why im talking about getting the whole lot.

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
I was helping my mate with his mk3 central locking problem. We found a new immo unit, fitted it and to my amazement, the original key actually worked with the replacement immobiliser. The part number was exactly the same. It's a long shot but it may work.

I think the main issue you need to work on is the communication with the ecu. Do a full scan of the car with vagcom and post up the full results (copy & paste here). Make sure you have plenty a charge in the battery as that plays havoc with the electrics as well.

Scimitar

Jan 10, 2009
Hi Dark Horse, I don't have VAG com I'm afraid, and don't know of anyone around here who does have it.... unable to get that skc code with k+can still.... I thought the immobiliser was a part of the instrument cluster?

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
So did I mate until we took my mates mk3 apart. It's a little black box behind the clocks and a right pain to get to. We got the replacement for £10 and it solved his central locking problems. After inspecting the old unit, there was a fried component on the board. I can have a word with him to see if he's got it still and maybe send it to you to try? It was only the remote central locking that was at fault, all the immo side was working fine.

For the sake of £10 for an ebay vagcom lead, get one it's worth it. If it gives you any fault codes then it'll give us an idea of what to check.

Scimitar

Jan 10, 2009
You mean the unit behind the cluster? I've had that out, but from what it said on the box I assumed it was just to do with the remote locking (what with having an aerial etc). So you recon that's the bit with the immo in it then? Yea, if you've got a spare one it couldn't do any harm to give it a go i suppose, though wouldn't it need to be coded to the car some how? Also, i thought the vag com you got on ebay wasn't the full/real deal?!

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
Yeah the box behind the cluster has something to do with the immobiliser. We tried to start the car with it removed and got the flashing key on the dash so I assumed it also had the immobiliser electronics within.

Those ebay leads are good enough for what you want. Yes they aren't the real deal but they work, I've been using one for a few years now without any problems. They will come with a shareware version of the software which will scan the car and give the fault codes although it won't supply the code descriptions. PM your email and I'll send you some info

cbr40017

Nov 24, 2006
Hampshire
My ecu packed up 3 weeks ago & as i could not aford the £600 - £700 for a new one i bought a cat B wright off wich the owner had just fitted a new ecu in.
we fitted the ecu, swapped the transponder in to my key & it started but the immobiliser light was flashing, we let the car run for 10 min but when we turned it off the immobiliser would not let it restart.
My mate called a freind of his that is a mobile key man & explanned to him what we had done & he asked if we had the clocks of the cat B car as the immobiliser is in the back of the clocks, we did not have the clocks with us at the car so he came round & within 15 mins he had coded both my keys with a transponder from both cars to work all for £45

Scimitar

Jan 10, 2009
Any idea on what he used to do that? Presumably he extracted the SKC from somewhere.

cbr40017

Nov 24, 2006
Hampshire
Any idea on what he used to do that? Presumably he extracted the SKC from somewhere.

Just tried to ring my mate to see if he knew how he done it but he is not answering at the mo, so will try later.

I was not present when the guy did it but my mate said he pluged in with a box & did it.

Ye i know not much help at all, lol. But if i can not find out from my mate i will ask him for the number of the guy that did the work & give him a call to see what i can find out fot you

Scimitar

Jan 10, 2009
Just another update. Took the car to a friend of a friend who owns a garage and is pretty good at sorting this kinda thing. He said the immobiliser is working and is accepting they key, but its not getting its signal through to the ECU to say all is well. He also said in his experience (he's had a couple of VWs like this) its the cluster thats at fault rather than the ECU. He recommended cracking it open and looking for dry joints as these are usually the cause, but if I'm not up to that then send it to BBA Reman. Anyone got any experience with these chaps?

I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

p34ch3y

tastefully modified
Oct 17, 2005
cambs
Just another update. Took the car to a friend of a friend who owns a garage and is pretty good at sorting this kinda thing. He said the immobiliser is working and is accepting they key, but its not getting its signal through to the ECU to say all is well. He also said in his experience (he's had a couple of VWs like this) its the cluster thats at fault rather than the ECU. He recommended cracking it open and looking for dry joints as these are usually the cause, but if I'm not up to that then send it to BBA Reman. Anyone got any experience with these chaps?

I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

yea me just sent my ecu of to BBA Reman on tuesday just waiting to get it back now as they said my would be enuf to not make the car start

Scimitar

Jan 10, 2009
What's the cost like, and is that the same ecu you sent to the ecu doctor? Mine went there but I'm having doubts about them to be honest!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
he said the immobiliser is working and is accepting they key, but its not getting its signal through to the ECU to say all is well. He also said in his experience (he's had a couple of VWs like this)

is it still listing any recurring error codes at all ?

the fault as above sounds like the last 2 i have done and it's been the reader coil on both (fits over ignition) but I can't remember the fault code number sadly and not a guarantee but worth a scan/test whilst ya in there

just had a quick read back and seems you cleaned it ? or did you replace it ?

*edit*
if above replaced have you had the keys recoded again ?

Last edited:

Scimitar

Jan 10, 2009
As stated earlier, I have tried 2 coils, and both work. I know that isn't the issue. Also you don't need to re-code the keys with a new coil.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.